My z30 Microphone is very faint when making phone calls. It is fine when making phone calls on speaker, fine for sending voice message files over bbm and fine when doing the BBVE tests and voice assistant stuff.

Could anyone tell me if this sounds software related or a hardware fault please? I know there are various microphones in the z30 but have no idea which ones work for what.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 03:16 PM
    I guess I would have to ask which OS you have and if you loaded a leak, which radio file you have? These might make a difference.
    Someone will give you some ideas as to how to improve this situation.
    12-06-14 03:36 PM
    How do you hold the phone? There are holes on the side. Do you have a case?
    12-06-14 05:03 PM
    I had the same issue on my Z30 some time back , tried all possible OS and radios but no advantage. Finally, I handed over to service center for replacement.
    I don't know which corner, it has mic.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-14 06:32 PM
    There are two mics. A bottom and top mic. Top one is used for speaker phone. Or at least that is so on the Z10. So you'll get different results when testing using the earpiece than using speakerphone.

Your bottom mic is bad or not making good contact. Or the mic hole could be blocked. Probably the little mainboard contacts it touches are not making great contact. I am assuming nothing is blocking the hole on the bottom of your phone that leads to the mic? Try carefully cleaning the hole out with a small needle.

If that does not help you'll need a new mic. You'll need a spudger, and torx screw drivers. Go to ifixit or some similar site to watch a tear down to see the specific needs.

I bought a mic for my Z10 from etradesupply.com. They test all parts they sell.

Like I said there are small contacts on the mainboard that you can carefully bend up using the tip of the spudger. That'll help them press better against the mic.

Or.. of course you can pay to have a new mic put in.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-06-14 06:52 PM
    Thanks all.

I have the latest official release, never loaded a leaked version.

I also saw the BlackBerry rep at Selfridges yesterday and he said it had 4 microphones on it! He wasn't sure what the problem could be - especially as it works with the test app and voice commands and notes.

I've already cleaned the holes out and tried it without the back on (I have a flip cover) with the same results.

If the speakerphone uses the top Microphone and the calls use the bottom, but the tests show this bottom mic to be working ok, then does it sound like a software thing. Rather than hardware?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 05:10 AM
    If the speakerphone uses the top Microphone and the calls use the bottom, but the tests show this bottom mic to be working ok, then does it sound like a software thing. Rather than hardware?

Posted via CB10
    So if you run the BBVE app... you do the audio test. The one where you speak into the bottom of the phone and it plays back the recorded audio... The playback sounds 100% clear, and amply loud?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-07-14 09:34 PM
    Yes, it's perfect.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 03:00 AM
    Do you mean the microphone for speaking, or the ear speaker for hearing? The ear piece is known to be on the low side. Setting one of the audio boosts in the phone settings helps. If its the mic for speaking, make sure you don't have an ill-fitting screen protector partially covering it..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-08-14 09:08 PM
    Yes it's the microphone for speaking at the bottom of the phone, I've tried it without the back cover on so I think its not obstructed, and the tests with BBVE were done with the cover On.

Posted via CB10
    Willieray3 likes this.
    12-09-14 02:58 AM
    i have found a fix for this problem guys,

Its neither hardware or software,

Its the stupid thing i could ever imagine
    10-10-15 04:37 AM
    i have found a fix for this problem guys,

Its neither hardware or software,

Its the stupid thing i could ever imagine
    What was your fix or solution?
    10-10-15 09:03 AM
    What was your fix or solution?
    Well the mic which is situated just below the screen where BlackBerry is written,

All you have to do is remove the protective cloth or the netting that is put to prevent the dust to enter,

you have to cut it off carefully with a sharp cutter and then just put a new protective cloth,

then re-seal the mic....or even if u just put the cloth over it and put it back together without glue, it is fine.

Now you would be wondering that i am mad and how will that make a difference right??

well the stupid part which i was talking about is that the reason why the voice is muffled or suppressed or

barely audible, it is because

the glue which holds that cloth or netting, which should only be at the border of the cloth melts and spreads

onto the whole cloth due to which your voice can barely be heard while on a call. (You will see for yourself

once you open it up.)

Note: please be careful when your peeling of that cloth/netting as its gonna be very firm and half of it is gonna

be sandwiched between the glass

and led display so u will have to cut it, rather than removing it from the source, i have done this and my phone

now is better than brand new.

Also, DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Image credits: gmsm
    Z30 Microphone problems-img_20151010_141919.jpgZ30 Microphone problems-img_20151010_142315.jpg
    The reason why people who are trying to solve this problem by replacing the MIC itself without any success is because the voice can't pass through this layer of this glue....because when you replace the mic this cloth/netting is not replaced....as its on the other side and doesn't strike to a person as the cause of the problem.

I WISH IF I HAD TAKEN A VIDEO OF THE WHOLE PROCESS, SORRY WILL REMEMBER FOR MY NEXT SOLUTION.
    Last edited by nabeel911; 10-12-15 at 10:15 PM.
    10-10-15 08:15 PM