From this leaked image (from CrackBerry post) it appears the A10 is 1080p: the icons appear smaller on a larger screen which would only be the case with a higher resolution or automatic icon scaling.

It makes more sense for them to have gone with a 1080p and scaled up apps than arbitrarily having scaled down icons on a 720p screen. Either one would be messing with set resolutions given to devs but if scaling anyways, it would make sense to go for the higher specs...

Just my thoughts on the image (attached below)

Z30 looks like it is 1080p to me-z10-z30-front.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:37 PM
    here we go again....
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    08-05-13 05:43 PM
    Actually it's not that hard to change the size of icons when making the themes for BB. Obviously there isn't the ability to make custom themes for BB10, but I don't see it as any diferent than making icon sets that were used with BB5, BB6, and BB7.

That being said, it would be an obvious boost to the new specs to be able to have 1080p on the Z30.
    08-05-13 05:43 PM
    I am not debating the merits of 1080p, just stating that from the looks of the picture some component is scaled: either the icons or the whole app (both resolutions are given to devs).

I just think that if it was a 720p, they would stick with the same layout as the Z10 and not bother scaling any icons or apps - everything would just be slightly bigger - but that does not appear to be the case.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:49 PM
    Actually it's not that hard to change the size of icons when making the themes for BB. Obviously there isn't the ability to make custom themes for BB10, but I don't see it as any diferent than making icon sets that were used with BB5, BB6, and BB7.

That being said, it would be an obvious boost to the new specs to be able to have 1080p on the Z30.
    you're right its not hard but when you look at the screen shots of the hub and you see more messages packed in, you think "hmmm even on the lowest font size my Z10 never fits that many in" and font size is base on pixel size the same way icons are. rumor also has been that the OLED screen is a Samsung so i'm bettign we'll see 1080p the A10 is geared more for gaming after all so why not put the hardware into gaming
    Otech#CB likes this.
    08-05-13 05:54 PM
    looks awfully pixelated for 1080p

in all seriousness though, the OS assets are all 720x1280 so I think that's your clue lol
    Pilchard, LWKING and saintforlife like this.
    08-05-13 05:56 PM
    I know all apps will be 720p (at least the ones that don't scale automatically), but this would not be a problem to display over 1080p (especially with upgraded GPU).

It also makes more sense to have all apps for 720p and possibly scale up than to try to scale anything down (be it from 1080p or the 80*80 icons) since you may loose details.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 06:02 PM
    Make it 1080p, halleluja... assuming 10.2, along with well-tuned Android runtime, will also introduce some heavy BB10 optimization (about time) I'd rather give up the quad-core CPU than 1080p screen or proper Android support, for sure.
    That being said I really want to see at least a modern dual-core, clocked to ~2GHz...
    08-05-13 09:53 PM
    Resolution has nothing to do with the size of the icons. They could make them 10x10 if they wanted.
    The reason why the icons are smaller is because they realised there was more screen real estate, so they added a row.

They would have warned developers long in advance if they were making a 1080p screen.
    They have been telling developers for about 2 years now: Make apps for 1280x720 and 720x720 because that's all we're using in the near future.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-05-13 09:56 PM
    They are also pretty clear that icons are 114*114 pixels: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ion_icons.html

They can clearly do what they want. They can scale icons down or scale apps up (apparently one has been done on the A10).

I am inclined to think they would scale apps up rather than scale icons down (very easy to increase pixel count by 1.5, hard to reduce it by the same amount without possibly loosing details)...

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:02 PM
    Regarding future use, it is much easier to scale up than down (without loosing content) so it would make sense to have devs code for the lowest common denominator in any aspect ratio then scale accordingly.

For those who truly think 1080p vs 720p is irrelevant, this also makes sense since it ensures that all apps run on even low res screen (prevent people just developing for 1080p) while having the option to satisfy the specs people (they wouldn't even notice the apps are 720p, with a good scaling algorithm, due to the already high ppi).

You could pretty much run a 720p OS on a 1080p screen by using the average of the surrounding pixels for every third pixel (or something a bit more complicated)...

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:07 PM
    Looks like it will be 1080p when it probably isn't. The bad way to design is for resolution,the best way is for physical screen size despite resolution
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-05-13 11:10 PM
    Are you sure they didn't just reduce the number of pixels of empty space between the icons? That would still give the same amount of "physical" space between the icons on the A10 as on the Z10, but allow you to fit more icons on the screen.
    08-05-13 11:12 PM
    From the picture it looks like the actual icons are smaller (even on a physically bigger display!!!), which implies that the resolution is higher (unless the actual images have been shrunk).

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:26 PM
    Look at the status bar and reconsider
    08-06-13 12:30 AM
    They are also pretty clear that icons are 114*114 pixels: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ion_icons.html

They can clearly do what they want. They can scale icons down or scale apps up (apparently one has been done on the A10).

I am inclined to think they would scale apps up rather than scale icons down (very easy to increase pixel count by 1.5, hard to reduce it by the same amount without possibly loosing details)...

Posted via CB10
    exactly i mentioned this in another post about icon size, not to mention the font sizing in the hub leads me to believe its a larger pixel density
    08-06-13 05:19 AM
    looks awfully pixelated for 1080p

in all seriousness though, the OS assets are all 720x1280 so I think that's your clue lol
    That thing's got a ppi of 12
    saintforlife likes this.
    08-06-13 06:33 PM
    sadly way off the mark, each .bar file per app has its own icon and assets, whereas BBOS has one central theme file. this means to change the pictures icon for example you edit the pictures .bar and to change the bbworld icon you edit the bbworld .bar.

basically to change the icons on BB10 you`d have to rebuild the entire OS, rather then edit one central file. so its miles different from BBOS, and also from the PBOS too
    middbrew likes this.
    08-06-13 09:22 PM
    Look at the status bar and reconsider
    look at the hub text. look how many messages, the bars apear to be the same size sure, but that is easier to change then all the icons developers have built and all the BBworld icons. its easy enough to have the apps scaled bigger then to rebuild the whole UI and BBworld catalog.

the way i see it is the based on the icons and the hub view i see a higher resolution, i've played around with my Z10 to get that many messages onto the hub list which includes dropping the font size to 6, you can tell the difference in the font sizes that are used and still can't get 11.5 messages in the hub list, i've only been able to get 8 and a bit. font size is also based on pixels sizes but are roughly a 1:1 ratio depending on font style, some are slightyl larger and some slightly smaller.

like i stated by the things i've seen i see a larger resolution then what is used in the Z10 and Q10 weather i'm right or wrong we still don't know but this is what i see
    08-07-13 04:36 PM
    look at the hub text. look how many messages, the bars apear to be the same size sure, but that is easier to change then all the icons developers have built and all the BBworld icons. its easy enough to have the apps scaled bigger then to rebuild the whole UI and BBworld catalog.

the way i see it is the based on the icons and the hub view i see a higher resolution, i've played around with my Z10 to get that many messages onto the hub list which includes dropping the font size to 6, you can tell the difference in the font sizes that are used and still can't get 11.5 messages in the hub list, i've only been able to get 8 and a bit. font size is also based on pixels sizes but are roughly a 1:1 ratio depending on font style, some are slightyl larger and some slightly smaller.

like i stated by the things i've seen i see a larger resolution then what is used in the Z10 and Q10 weather i'm right or wrong we still don't know but this is what i see
    careful, we may be accused of being aliases of the same person... see my post in this thread... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post8911274
    08-07-13 04:44 PM
    careful, we may be accused of being aliases of the same person... see my post in this thread... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post8911274
    lol this isn't the first time i've said this on the forum either we agree on things then the data shown shows me that BlackBerry is putting an effort into a higher resolution screen, not to say the Z10s density is poor it is more then fine, the thing is Android has ruined the market makign it a spec race so BlackBerry needs to throw some hardware to say hey, we have the same and yet ours runs faster and is quicker to navigate through.

they need to show the market just how bloated the competition is when tryign to push specs over usability.

anyways these leaks show me a higher resolution then the Z10 and Q10 seeing that i'm bettign BlackBerry has more to show on the hardware front then just this, yet peopel have already made their assumptions and push their bull**** comments like the rumored specs are set in ******* stone
    08-07-13 04:59 PM
    From this leaked image (from CrackBerry post) it appears the A10 is 1080p: the icons appear smaller on a larger screen which would only be the case with a higher resolution or automatic icon scaling.

It makes more sense for them to have gone with a 1080p and scaled up apps than arbitrarily having scaled down icons on a 720p screen. Either one would be messing with set resolutions given to devs but if scaling anyways, it would make sense to go for the higher specs...

Just my thoughts on the image (attached below)
    Posted via CB10
    Icons have been scaled down and typography adjusted to be perfectly crisp at a smaller size. Some leaked versions of 10.2 already feature the smaller font size.

720p is fine for me.
    08-08-13 06:52 PM
    yet peopel have already made their assumptions and push their bull**** comments like the rumored specs are set in ******* stone
    Some forum users base their assumptions on leaked and rumored specs, yes. But you need to be aware than quite a sum of users on this forum are part of early testing programs and actually have these devices in hand, using on a daily basis. They can't say this of course, but it means they know for a fact what the device is and what it isn't. When you work out who these people are, you can listen closely to what they say, or more likely what they infer.

Some people assume, some people know. I've seen many posts on these forums saying they 'hope' the A10 will be 1080p. I've seen far more saying they 'know' it's 720. Yet it seems many of those who say they 'know' it's 720p. Now, you do the math.
    08-08-13 06:59 PM