I went ahead and took the plunge! I made the purchase and I will be a proud owner of a BlackBerry Z30 in less than a week.

Now comes the difficult part. The condition of purchase. Once delivered, the box goes directly to my wife where, I will not see it, use it or touch it, until I unwrap it on Christmas Day. This leads to another conundrum in itself...

Should I open the box and test the Z30 prior to handing it to the wife to make sure it works and there's no problems? But once I open the box and power it on, I know there is no way I will want to box it up again. What do I do?!?!?!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    bitek and fanisk like this.
    11-06-13 10:39 AM
    I went ahead and took the plunge! I made the purchase and I will be a proud owner of a BlackBerry Z30 in less than a week.

Now comes the difficult part. The condition of purchase. Once delivered, the box goes directly to my wife where, I will not see it, use it or touch it, until I unwrap it on Christmas Day. This leads to another conundrum in itself...

Should I open the box and test the Z30 prior to handing it to the wife to make sure it works and there's no problems? But once I open the box and power it on, I know there is no way I will want to box it up again. What do I do?!?!?!

You should leave it sealed in the box as her gift!
    11-06-13 10:43 AM
    You should have waited. The prices will fall by then.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 11:08 AM
    Wrap it up! Don't tease yourself by opening the box just to see if it works or not. You and I both know you will never put that back in the box again. Lol
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    11-06-13 11:15 AM
    When I get an early present I use it immediately. You're not gonna be surprised, tell her I said to get you a nice little gift for under the tree but no way should you have to wait 7 weeks! It's not like you are gonna forget you got your gift early you will be using it for picture taking!
    TrueKulcha and DOCTOREVIL8 like this.
    11-06-13 11:20 AM

That is just a horrible situation, my lord.
    I'd hate myself for putting myself in such a situation

Posted via that z10!
    Last edited by hazarder; 11-06-13 at 02:45 PM.
    11-06-13 11:23 AM
    I would have waited to purchase it. Like the commenter above, I believe you would have saved more than a few dollars when the price invariably comes down.
    11-06-13 11:27 AM
    oh man, that's horrible! but an amazing gift from her!

my gf bought my a surface pro 2 for xmas. good thing i needed it immediately! i will re-wrap it for xmas! haha.
    11-06-13 11:40 AM
    Get your wife something nice and have an early Christmas for the two of you.
    11-06-13 11:41 AM
    Waiting may be the right thing to do but not necessarily the best thing to do. I know I couldn't resist.

Posted via CB10
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    11-06-13 11:47 AM
    I would have waited to purchase it. Like the commenter above, I believe you would have saved more than a few dollars when the price invariably comes down.
    I have a friend at BlackBerry who made the purchase internally. I'm anticipating that price won't move much between now and Christmas.

11-06-13 11:52 AM
    Waiting may be the right thing to do but not necessarily the best thing to do. I know I couldn't resist.

Posted via CB10
    We tried the same thing a couple Christmas' ago when the PlayBook went on sale. Needless to say, the box didn't get to the wrapping stage.

At least I have a week to come to a decision.

11-06-13 11:55 AM
    Unbox, use Z30. Put current phone in the box and hope the lady doesn?t notice?

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10. Pin:2B30530D http://geekphreek.com
    11-06-13 12:04 PM
    Get her something "for Christmas" that she will be equally unable to resist for 7 weeks - then strike a deal.
    Jiggy1971 and DOCTOREVIL8 like this.
    11-06-13 12:05 PM
    Giftwrap up your wife and save her as your gift for Christmas! And start using the Z30 now )

Posted via CB10
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    11-06-13 12:42 PM
    Giftwrap up your wife and save her as your gift for Christmas! And start using the Z30 now )

Posted via CB10
    I guess poking holes in the box is a good idea then, huh?
    mkelley65 likes this.
    11-06-13 12:49 PM
    Unbox, use Z30. Put current phone in the box and hope the lady doesn?t notice?

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10. Pin:2B30530D http://geekphreek.com
    That was my thinking too haha haha. There must me a way to do this. Keep reading here and you will see all the wonderful ideas that will be thrown across the floor. #bb love.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:52 PM
    I guess poking holes in the box is a good idea then, huh?
    What an appropriate name hahaha. Man you guys can be funny sometimes

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:54 PM
    You just should not have bought it now !

Mt advice : use it. And find a present for the wide that she can open now. And do further presents at Christmas

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 12:56 PM
    When it arrives, open the box, take the Z30 out, replace it with something with similar weight, close the box and wrap it. Now you can play with it (in secret) until Christmas. When xmas comes, unwrap it a few days before, put the phone back in and back under the tree.

Let me know how the divorce goes for you in the new year! lol
    Himanshu Mehta likes this.
    11-06-13 01:05 PM

I hate to be... what's the term... a wet blanket? but only because I was unlucky enough to have two defective Z30's back-to-back (one with non working touchscreen, second with bad battery), that I would recommend checking it out within your return window.

Now to be clear, I have not read any posts on the forums about hardware issues so you probably have a 99.9% chance of having no issues. I must have pissed someone off for some reason or such giving me some bad karma that I got bad units. And since, at least in Canada, you could probably get a brand new unit through warranty exchange through your carrier, there would be less reason for concern.

Still, I know only because of my experience that I would want to check it out. Up to you though. I don't want to remove that feeling of getting something to play with on Christmas morning :-) And if you have a venue to return it if you do have issues 6 weeks from now, then keep it in the box. But if you will be screwed 6 weeks from now with a bad unit then I would say check it out... or have someone else check it out for you to confirm it is fine and then box it back up. That way you have the confidence of no worries and that 'yippee' feeling on the 25th.

My two cents.
    21stNow likes this.
    11-06-13 01:07 PM
    you should play with it and act like you forgot the conditions of the purchase. but hey I'm twice divorced. You may not want to take that route.
    jhimmel likes this.
    11-06-13 01:10 PM
    OK man, I'll help you out. Open the box,. Set it up properly ,...then put it away! Enjoy!!

JMDZ10
    11-06-13 01:29 PM
    I got mine last night, if you touch that devil thing you won't be able to put it back in the box!!!
    11-06-13 02:10 PM
    Tell your wife that you are a grown man and not some six-year-old boy (as she well knows ). You are not going to wait until Christmas to use a smartphone that serves a purpose in your life.
    djdragon and zyad like this.
    11-06-13 02:20 PM
43 12