Got mine! Love it! But my poor Z10 feels alone

Z30 Info Thread - Got a Z30?  Tell Us About it!-img_20133306.jpg

Posted via CB10
    texion likes this.
    11-01-13 08:35 AM
    Just to clarify, the NFC is on the removable back cover? We are having a debate in another thread and would like to clarify what we thought we weren't seeing.
    Nope.. back cover is clean
    11-03-13 12:00 PM
    I received my Z30 today in the mail. It's the -5 variant and it shows full bars with LTE on the T-Mobile network in my area. For a comparison my Lumia 920 only shows 3 bars.

I know we have a dedicated thread, so I'll forego the picture storm unless folks want some nice photos of my phone or want something specific. Just ask

The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was that the phone sure as heck feels heavy. Coming from other devices, the only other phone I have that is this heavy is my Lumia 920, which is heavier by half an ounce. It feels very sturdy and one of the reasons I liked my Lumia 920 so much was the weight gives it the added impression of high build quality. The silver accents along the bottom and edges of the Z30 do appear very plastic and don't gloss at all, which is both good and bad. I don't feel like I'll be smudging the edges like I did on my Torch all the time, but at the same time knowing that it's plastic makes me feel oddly about the build. It is all minor, however, and this phone has an obvious high quality build to it that nobody can ignore.

The rear plastic cover most definitely keeps this phone from slipping on surfaces and feels amazing in my hand.

I didn't use my Z10 for very long but I can tell that the Z30 is zippier than the Z10 I had. In another thread I wondered how 200MHz could make that much of a difference until I realized that the graphics chips were different in the Z10 and the Z30. The Z10's Adreno 225 chipset has been updated to the 320 chipset, and comparison charts can be found here and here, with the biggest advantages being nearly double the performance and updated features such as "GPGPU computing by adding OpenCL 1.2, Google�s RenderScript (mainly used to speed up app interfaces), and DirectX11 version 9_3, which means it mainly supports only the DirectX 9.3c features." (Source)

I've only started playing with it and am currently letting it charge before sideloading a bunch of Android APKs for things I'm not finding in the BBWorld. If there's any questions that haven't been answered or any photo requests, please let me know! I'll be happy to help where I can.
    11-14-13 12:15 PM
    A demo unit at the VZW store here in VA is the -3 variant. Doesn't even have wireless charging or any info on the display placard stating it. The rep knows absolutely nothing about the phone. I mean nothing!!!!! Their spec sheet doesn't even list wireless charging!!!!!

Posted via my sweet Z10 on the #1 BB10 app!
    11-14-13 06:32 PM
    The Z30 is a HUGE improvement compared to the Z10. How could BB ever even think about releasing the Z10? Poor quality & poor battery, what a surprise that they didn't sell many. The Z30 should have been the first BB10 device, it's solid and has a superior battery. That is what we were used to before phones became toys.
    11-16-13 01:26 AM
    I got mine yesterday, and this thing is awesome! I love the on screen keyboard on this one. This phone has great potential if they would get the marketing right. I still can't believe that there has been no marketing for this phone. Hopefully the word will get out and people will buy it.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 4
    11-16-13 05:48 PM
    Firstly thank you for offering your experiences, I am wanting to upgrade to a bb10 from a 9810 I have had difficulty when trying a Z10 for typing as my fingers are large Does the Z30 give a good keyboard experience presumably the "keys" are larger (bigger target) as I really would like the larger display for my business use.
    the keyboard experience is phenomenal. I have had a keyboard bb until the 9810 and moved to the z10 and now z30. I type faster on those phones. words come up and most sentences you just flick the words. have no hesitation in recommending you to move to the z30. spend the money, you will not regret it. anything else you want to know specifically let me know.
    11-16-13 08:31 PM
    The Z30 is a HUGE improvement compared to the Z10. How could BB ever even think about releasing the Z10? Poor quality & poor battery, what a surprise that they didn't sell many. The Z30 should have been the first BB10 device, it's solid and has a superior battery. That is what we were used to before phones became toys.
    I agree that the Z10's battery is not what is should have been. However, I'd hardly describe the Z10 as having poor quality. Mine has taken a few tumbles and kept on ticking. Fit and finish is good. Performance is good, and has improved with each OS upgrade. It's particularly nice with the new 10.2.1.1055 leak installed -- it feels like a new device.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-16-13 11:59 PM
    I have installed 10.2.0 on my Z10 and my battery has improved dramatically. I am on hour 34 with moderate use. I can't complain about that. I noticed that idle time has virtually no drain on the battery anymore. Mine goes over an hour without even dropping a percentage. One thing I don't use though is LTE, I find that is a battery killer...
    Last edited by Bastar; 11-17-13 at 08:33 AM.
    11-17-13 08:10 AM
    Got the z30 for 400. Worth every penny.

Proud owner of Z30, Z10 and Q10 -- os 10.2.1.1055
    11-17-13 08:26 AM
    Where did you get it for $400? I would probably get one if I could land one for that price...
    11-17-13 08:32 AM
    Where did you get it for $400? I would probably get one if I could land one for that price...
    I got mine from a computer guru. He writes phone reviews for his work. He didn't need the phone after doing his work.

Proud owner of Z30, Z10 and Q10 -- os 10.2.1.1055
    11-17-13 02:56 PM
    Hi....m from India,

I got my Z30 yesterday........it seems like I am on cloud 9. No words to express the speed and the flow.

Many of my iphone & android friends are now feeling Jealous of me. Now I am a proud BB10 user.
    11-18-13 09:59 AM
    Got my Z30 yesterday and the first thing I did before I even inserted the SIM card was installed leaked 10.2.1.1055, and side loaded apps via apk and bar files. This device is absolutely amazing. Waiting a couple days for the battery to settle in before commenting on that. In general I noticed using side loaded apps sucks your battery dry. I'm not expecting anything different here.

So far my only complaint is the very very LOW headset volume. I have a Bose and it works perfectly fine on my Z10 so I'm sure it's the Z30. However, I checked out the external speakers audio and WOW. Loud, clear, wonderful!

So far there is nothing else I don't absolutely love love love about this device!!!!

THANK YOU BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 07:36 AM
    Have had it 2 days and won't let go!! It is a amazing device, love the screen size, the 10.2.1.1055 OS is a way past other platforms!! Im enjoying it very much. No Bugs at all. Z30 Info Thread - Got a Z30?  Tell Us About it!-getattachment.jpg
    11-23-13 04:47 PM
    Got my Z30 Thursday, using it on AT&T. Got it for $99 OFF contract because I have the best boss ever in the world!! He has a government contract with Verizon so he got it for me from them, I then went to AT&T and they switched my sim to a micro sim and BOOM all is well in the wireless world.

I'm really struggling with the keyboard though. My work phone is the Q10 and if I could have the screen size of the Z30 less enough room for the Q10 keyboard this would be the perfect cell phone ever IMHO. I'm making myself use it a lot but if I cannot adapt to it in the next few days, I'm gonna give it to my son and switch to the new Q10 the boss got me for my personal phone.

This was my Z30's first car ride: (LOL)
    Z30 Info Thread - Got a Z30?  Tell Us About it!-img_00000088.jpg
    Tabdus and emkay47 like this.
    11-23-13 09:31 PM
    Got one 4 days back. I have literally stopped using my iPad. No, seriously! The only thing i use iPad for now is Office mail, which will soon move to Z30 the moment my phone is setup on the BES10. Goodbye to the Good for Enterprise Technology for iOS and Android.

Hub is great. I am a stickler for an efficient email and messaging system. Hub simply sets a new standard for this parameter. My colleagues (Android fans) are shocked to see how efficient the Hub is. iPhone email system is a joke.

All the apps (barring one - FT) that i require are available on BB World, and work like a charm. Level of integration with emailing and messaging system is impressive. Thanks WSJ, Economist, Bloomberg, Bloomberg Anywhere and various other media companies for making their app available on BB World. Of course there a few apps i'd like to have but they aren't a deal breaker for me. I think i am at 90% of where i was on iPad. And, that to me is impressive considering the usual gripe about apps most reviewers have.

Screen - brightness and resolution - is excellent. Any concern around low ppi is irrelevant. It has a beautiful screen to look at. Colours are vivid, fonts - sharp.

Keyboard is nothing short of excellent. It just sets a new benchmark for competitors. It took me a couple days to get used to, but boy this keyboard is fast and accurate.

Network coverage is better vs. My previous BB. Sound quality, in ear and on speakers, is great. I was positively surprised with the sound reproduction of the headsets that came along with phone.

All my music from iTunes and CDs/SACD has been transferred on the memory card. I like the way it organises the library. Sound quality is impressive. I am able to make 2 bluetooth connections concurrently (i am not surprised, just sharing fyi). 1) connect to handsfree in car with my bluetooth, 2) BlackBerry Music Gateway connected via bluetooth. With this, i can listen to music through my car stereo wirelessly, and also make and receive calls. Music resumes playing the moment i disconnect phone.

Have installed a few games, just to get an understanding of any lagging issues. None. My son too tried his hand at this phone, played couple of games and now wants a Z30 for himself as well! He thinks gaming experience is superb.

Battery life is fantastic keeping in mind the screen size. I have gotten 18 hours so far for a fairly active usage. Have installed at least 50 new apps, set up phone, installed games. Played them. Music streaming couple of hours a day, 75 to 100 odd emails, 50 odd SMS, an hour or more of calls everyday. In background 4 emails, a twitter account, linkedin constantly syncing.

I'm a happy soul.
    11-23-13 10:12 PM
    Got my Z30 Thursday, using it on AT&T. Got it for $99 OFF contract because I have the best boss ever in the world!! He has a government contract with Verizon so he got it for me from them, I then went to AT&T and they switched my sim to a micro sim and BOOM all is well in the wireless world.

I'm really struggling with the keyboard though. My work phone is the Q10 and if I could have the screen size of the Z30 less enough room for the Q10 keyboard this would be the perfect cell phone ever IMHO. I'm making myself use it a lot but if I cannot adapt to it in the next few days, I'm gonna give it to my son and switch to the new Q10 the boss got me for my personal phone.

This was my Z30's first car ride: (LOL)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000088.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	223713
    hey moodyk13, it will take you longer than a few days, but believe me, don't go back to the keyboard. it is sooo behind compared to this virtual keyboard. once the z30 is used to you, a month or so, the words will fly. and i mean fly. I can beat anyone on a keyboard after having been on a bb with keyboard from the beginning of times to the 9810 and 9900. if you are serious about your few days statement, you are gonna miss the very best of what Blackberry has become. Happy experience!!
    11-24-13 06:19 PM
    I don't have a test device but am wondering if anyone has had any success with File Manager and Blackberry Link? I have not.
    11-25-13 12:26 PM
    Picking up my Z30 in about an hour. Hoping i don't take another bath on resale value like the Z10, Q10 and every other Blackberry I've owned! lol.

Oh, and hey, how does one get the Andriod apps on the Z30 with a Mac computer? Is there a OTA download site?
    11-30-13 07:29 PM
    It's there in the left but there is also and app that directs you to the hub if you don't want to slide all the way left!
    Z30 Info Thread - Got a Z30?  Tell Us About it!-img_00000288.png

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 07:36 PM
    Just ordered mine today. Can't wait to get it.

CB10 - Z10(Z30 inbound) -10.2.1.1055 - C0006E212
    12-02-13 04:41 PM
    I got my Z30 today. I also run a Lumia 920 as a daily driver and a Z10 at Work. I am mothballing the Lumia 920 while I put the Z30 through its paces. So far all I can say is that it is an awesome device and I also agree with everybody that says this is the device BlackBerry should have come out with.

Rocktauber Approves This Post
    12-03-13 05:49 PM
    Got mine yesterday and although I have kept up with BB10 and the Z30 and had a good idea what to expect I have to say it still blew me away! Just an amazing phone. The flow is awsome!
    12-05-13 06:00 PM
    I have the Z30 for just over 2 weeks now. Here are my impressions:

Positive
    1) Hub - just makes your life easy. This is a huge differentiater compared to competing platforms. I don't have to worry about opening and closing apps to respond to messages. Hub lets me manage everything. Hub is a great example of how far ahead BlackBerry is on messaging solutions and security. Balance feature in Hub makes it unique proposition. Anyone who has checked out my phone, has been blown away by the kind of efficiency it brings.

2) Calendar and Contact integration - exceptional. I can view my work and personal appointments in 1 pane, making it so much easier for me organise things.

3) Great Battery Life - easily lasts me 24 to 32 hours, depending on the usage pattern. To put things in perspective, I receive about 200 emails, couple of hour of phone calls, several BBM messages everyday. Add to that, at least an hour, and up to couple of hours of music via online streaming. I'm always on 3G or a combo of 2G and Wi Fi if the 3G coverage isn't good.

4) keyboard - simply the best.

5) Screen - superb clarity and resolution. Extra real estate due to 5" screen size makes browsing and reading easy.

6) Speakers - very high quality sound. I'm increasingly using speakers for calls in my office. Listening to music is great.

7) Gaming - though not a gaming fan, I do occasionally play games, and the experience is smooth. High quality graphics without any lags. Stereo speakers enhance the gaming experience further.

8) OS - smooth, fluid, efficient and intuitive. Need I say more!

9) App World - I know, I know. How can app world be a positive! I'm already at 90% of what I need or have on ipad, which is remarkable. And, oh, I don't have to install an app to open emails!

10) Doc to go - seamless integration with the emails. Using excel or word on this phone is possible due to 5" screen size.

11) connectivity - barely any call drop, so clearly an improvement over my previous phones.

Negative
    1) Memory management - don't think this OS is as efficient as it should be. Very high RAM usage is surprising. I normally have between 650 to 800 MB available, which is not bad but I would have expected at least 1 GB available considering how well the OS is built. Not a big deal, but keeps me worried that phone will have to be reset. BTW, free RAM goes back to 1.2GB on reboot.

2) Wi Fi network switching isn't seamless. When I physically try to change Wi Fi network, the setting screen literally freezes. It switches the network but the setting screen stays stuck on the previous network information.

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Purvesh; 12-06-13 at 08:11 PM.
    12-06-13 10:10 AM
428 ... 34567 ...