I am one of the very first buyers of Z30 and I am owning it from last 3 weeks now. Just after buying my Z30, my first worry was to get a protective case for it. To my surprise, I realized that I have bought my phone so early that supported accessories are not still not available in the market including official BlackBerry partners. Almost after 1 week, I was able to find some original accessories. I bought a leather flip pouch. I have been using S3 before buying my Z30 and I've been using flip pouch on S3 too. I like the way flip ouch protects your phone, particularly phone's screens. But after buying my flip pouch I realized I need to give a review, since there are lot of things BlackBerry needs to fix:

Here are positives:

1. Build quality is good.
    2. It's a nice good looking sturdy pouch and your phone is safe inside.
    3. Flip cover contain some flim or whatever which makes screen goes off when flip cover falls on the screen which is a very nice feature as you don't need to press power button to send your phone to standby.
    4. There is a small lens embedded in the cover so that when flip cover is at rest position on the screen, the light of signals of Phone's LED transmitted through lens.
    5. Back side is very sturdy and you really get a great feel of strength.
    6. Camera is much inside the case and very much safe due to this factor.

Here are the negatives:

1. Phone is thinner than it's competitors and one can easily boast of it in front of one's friends who own iPhone or S3/ S4. But after wearing this pouch your phone become thicker than competition phones in respective pouches.
    2. Flip cover is so thick and stiff that it does not fall automatically on the screen. Thus it makes the point no. 3 & 4 above useless (please see the attached video)
    3. You want to charge your Z30 keeping your cover on? yes you can do that but you have to at least open the flip cover. This is something which I could not understand. Most of the time I consider it a flaw but sometimes I take it as a positive. What do you say? (Please see the attached photos)

I am putting video and pictures and comparing it with S3 to show what I mean. I don't say it should be same as S3's pouch but BB should consider what is good.Z30 Flip Pouch Review-2013-11-12-04.28.30.jpgZ30 Flip Pouch Review-2013-11-12-04.28.58.jpgZ30 Flip Pouch Review-2013-11-12-04.29.13-1.jpgZ30 Flip Pouch Review-2013-11-12-04.29.51.jpgZ30 Flip Pouch Review-2013-11-12-04.30.12.jpg
    gnirkatto and bizzyqu like this.
    11-16-13 01:20 AM
    Thanks, nice review though I'm not a fan of those covers on any phone. They all seem a bit useless to me, I don't really want to have to struggle to get at my phone or constantly be flipping something 'out of the way'
    shai404, croman and anon4188935 like this.
    11-16-13 04:04 AM
    Thank you for your impression's I was waiting for a video of someone with one of these on their device.
    11-16-13 07:00 AM
    Thank for the review mate, I have been contemplating to get the flip case for a while now, and my concern is exactly what you have pointed out. I just don't get why they have to make the back cover as fat and bulky. If they were going to make it this big why didn't they just just make a clip on type attached to the back instead of replacing the battery door. I thought the whole idea to have the removable battery door was to keep a slim profile with and without a case on.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 08:45 AM
    hey man, nice simple and concise review... i am as well looking around for a case for my z30 (i haven't use it yet, it is waiting for me at home since i am in a business trip)... but just to add something to the conversation, i read from another crackberrian that the flip takes some time to finally sit over the screen but after use it will do (as in general with any leather thing, over time it fits better), so it is possible that in a couple of weeks (more or less, idk) the flip will work the way it should...
    11-16-13 09:11 AM
    Ya I seen one of those in the store and passed on it, thanks for the review. I ended up buying a Otter Box defender for protection but it makes it huge and bulky but well protected. Hopefully more choices come out soon for it. Again good stuff ...enjoy your device!!

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    11-16-13 09:21 AM
    I tripled it out for a week and a half and just found it to be mostly annoying. In terms of protection it is okay but I would still worry about corner hits with it. I'm decided on an otterbox as I like to not have to worry about a tumble on any surface. I'm an active guy and like the extra protection and find the otterbox fully functional.

Posted via my Z30
    11-16-13 10:33 AM
    Same for me, tried the flip case for 2 days, but keep working about damaging the edges of the Z30, so exchanged for a Otterbox Commuter, my goto case for my past 2 (i)Phones.
    11-16-13 02:59 PM
    That's interesting. It would have been great I could get the link of that discussion. Anyway thanks for the addition. This idea of softness of leather with the passage of time is possible since its made of pure leather whereas Samsung's made of some synthetic material.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:20 PM
    I was thinking may be if somebody from BlackBerry is reading it, s/he may justify the design! Personally I would give 8/10 due to excellent build quality and pure leather usage. I would suggest to make back side at least 60% thinner.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:24 PM
    I just got this case. Obviously you take the back off the phone and attach the case, but I cannot seem to get the phone to attach to the back of the case. How did you do it? Are there any tricks?

Thanks.
    11-18-13 02:13 PM
    You have to detach original case and attach this flip pouch case. Keep original back cover saved with you.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 05:42 PM
    If you are able to detach the backside then you should not have problem in attaching it again. Flip pouch back cover and original back cover are same. Simply put on and press from each side.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 06:13 PM
    Mine must have been defective as it would not attach. Original back goes on and off without a problem. I am returning it. Thanks for the reply.
    11-18-13 08:05 PM
    I previously had a Torch and managed to keep the screen free of scratches, but was worried ah my ability to do the same with the much larger Z30 screen so I picked up the flip case. So far, quite happy with it - it does get in the way sometimes, but I'm reading more than typing and the case leaves me feeling safe that the whole front of the phone is protected. Didn't really like the added thickness and weight but it's a liveable tradeoff for keeping the device in good condition. The leather cover will soften a bit over time, and I've never really had a problem with the cover not closing enough to make the screen stay on.
    11-18-13 10:59 PM
    Maj, there's a magnet in the door.
    Anyway, My Z30 came today from a guy in Canada that got a press version and sold it to me on Ebay. The flip cover is not a pouch at all. After a half-hour of trying to use the phone with this case on the way I usually handle my phones one-handed, it's now sitting unused on my desk. I took it on and off several times, only because I couldn't picture dropping the phone on my tiled floor with nothing to protect it. With this I can't use the phone one-handed at all. The cover insists on closing, horrible design. It's like holding a book. I'm waiting for the clip/holster that t-mobile had for the Z10, until then I've got it stuffed into a Reiko pouch. I guess I'll have to get the commuter case like I use on my work S3.
    Oh, BTW, the phone is FREAKIN AWESOME! It's the Big Daddy Z10! Rockin 10.2.1.1055
    11-21-13 08:45 PM