I guess I'm lucky. My Verizon store had a Z30 on display. It was very fast and the screen was very pretty. Pixelation was minimal and not an issue (though it's not nearly as sharp as my Q10.

I personally don't love the size, and one handed use is awkward at best. UI elements seem oversized, so space isn't utilized as well as it could be on a phone of this size. Example: the file manager icons are enormous, maybe 9 and 3/2 icons can fit on screen. If they were smaller you could fit more. That's the way some of the UI feels (like the active frames page). Why aren't there 8 to a page with a screen so large?

A great change that no one has yet mentioned: the screen brightness slider is much more useful than on my Q10. I tried the minimum brightness on both phones side-by-side, and the Z30 was able to achieve a very dim screen, while my Q10 barely changed at all. Great for using the phone in dark environments or in bed. This is the one thing that has been pushing me to lose the Q10, and I'm glad to see the Z30 has remedied the issue with some real control over screen brightness.

As far as build is concerned, everything looks great for the most part. Yes, the chin seems as though it is plastic. And the band running around the phone has me flummoxed as to its material. There is a random flap on the upper-middle side of the phone that does not sit flush with the rest of the band. I remember a reviewer snapping it off and being derided. I can't say I blame him. It's a woeful bit of design that marrs what is otherwise a very fit looking phone. The BlackBerry logo is oversized, just as the rest of the phone appears to be--sadly not in a tasteful way. I find the Q10's build to be better and more protective overall.

I did find the browser to be a generally more enjoyable experience. And I'm sure the hub will benefit greatly once it's filled up. The phone app was much nicer to use, minus the lack of a physical keypad. Everything has more room to breathe. I didn't find the call quality to be much better (though I think it was slightly better). I'm assuming the HD calling is for BBM only. The speakers are very good, but you all know this already.

So while this is definitely a pretty and usable phone, I find my Q10 to be quicker to navigate, though not smoother. The Z30 is definitely an upgrade from the Z10, however. Some build quality quibbles and the oversized nature of the phone left me a little cold. But the overall experience seemed pretty great.

If you have any questions, ask me. I got the chance to play with it for a good while.

Here are a couple of photos (the size difference is more glaring in person):

Attachment 220889

Attachment 220890
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 11-14-13 at 07:21 PM.
    MGO likes this.
    11-14-13 04:34 PM
    Good deal. I called our VZW store and was told they would be on display tomorrow as the shipment just arrived today.
    11-14-13 04:54 PM
    I'm glad to see Verizon has floor models and stock even in smallish cities. I thought this going to be an online-only affair. Very good news.
    11-14-13 05:16 PM
    Hmm, I don't see any photos.
    11-14-13 06:56 PM
    Good thorough post. I find it interesting that you praise the Z30 for having a dim display while I criticized it in my thread. I also did notice that "flap" thing and wasn't really sure what to make of it either. Overall though the build quality is good.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    11-14-13 07:02 PM
    Good thorough post. I find it interesting that you praise the Z30 for having a dim display while I criticized it in my thread. I also did notice that "flap" thing and wasn't really sure what to make of it either. Overall though the build quality is good.
    I know a lot of us take real issue with how the Q10's screen is unable to be dimmed in dark environments. I use my phone before I go to bed or if I wake up to check the time (bad habit). I don't even bother with the Q10, instead using my old iPhone 5. The Z30 thankfully allows for control over the brightness.

As far as top-end brightness in sunlight, well, that's another issue entirely.

p.s. Pictures back up
    11-14-13 07:09 PM
    I too went by a local Verizon store today to see the Z30. It was everything advertised. However comma I will go with a Q10 instead of the Z30. The reason is the one thing never written about, the weight. It is actually so light weight that you don't feel like you are holding anything at all. It sounds weird but I like a little weight to my devices to know they are there. I have big hands as well so the weight reminds me not to "hulk smash" things.

I wanted a Q10 from the beginning but when I heard about the Z30 I wanted to wait and see. I have seen and I will pass.

Oh and P.S.
    The Verizon rep didn't even know the phone came out, or anything about it. I had to educate him. Another rep said to me "He is sorry they are even carrying the Z30". But I expect nothing less from ignorant people. (and I use ignorant by the definition term, not as an insult)
    11-14-13 07:16 PM
    I too went by a local Verizon store today to see the Z30. It was everything advertised. However comma I will go with a Q10 instead of the Z30. The reason is the one thing never written about, the weight. It is actually so light weight that you don't feel like you are holding anything at all. It sounds weird but I like a little weight to my devices to know they are there. I have big hands as well so the weight reminds me not to "hulk smash" things.

I wanted a Q10 from the beginning but when I heard about the Z30 I wanted to wait and see. I have seen and I will pass.

Oh and P.S.
    The Verizon rep didn't even know the phone came out, or anything about it. I had to educate him. Another rep said to me "He is sorry they are even carrying the Z30". But I expect nothing less from ignorant people. (and I use ignorant by the definition term, not as an insult)
    You find the z30 so light weight? Odd, because it is the heaviest phone on the market

Posted via my Z30
    11-14-13 08:02 PM
    good luck dude
    11-14-13 08:06 PM
    You find the z30 so light weight? Odd, because it is the heaviest phone on the market

Posted via my Z30

Yeah it weighs over 170 grams which is heavier than almost every phone I can think of.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    11-14-13 08:07 PM