Once upon a time the manuals were actually a part of the review process. Reviewers often commented on the usefulness of the product manual. This practice would usually involve opening said manual to at least research a few basic functions to ensure the manual made sense. Not doing so in the case of a product review seems foolish to me.
    But Apple seems to have set the precedent that "if you need to read the manual to figure it out, it's not dumbed down enough". Personally, I had to read the manual to find out how to remove the battery cover on my Q10 before I realised it slides down.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-06-13 08:33 PM
    But Apple seems to have set the precedent that "if you need to read the manual to figure it out, it's not dumbed down enough". Personally, I had to read the manual to find out how to remove the battery cover on my Q10 before I realised it slides down.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    Perhaps if there had been any significant changes to the Apple products, there would be a need to read the latest Apple manual revision
    ibpluto likes this.
    11-06-13 08:40 PM
    SMH. While I don't plan on getting a Z30, maybe you have a faulty BlackBerry - which can happen when mass-producing devices....even BlackBerries.
    11-06-13 08:50 PM
    Well obviously I'm also a not a blind fanboy... freely insulting a user who beg to differ...and who's just asking for feedbacks

Posted via CB10
    You know, this is where I don't get you. Asking for feedback is a structured process. You had 2 simple questions
    "isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?"

If that's all you are asking feedback about, I guess the people who have posted till now have already given you the answer.
    Except for you, nobody thinks anyone else is a fanboy, and no one here is freely insulting you ONLY because you beg to differ.

The BIGGEST and probably the ONLY reason you are getting the responses you see right now, is because you say you are a tech journalist.

You have the right to say things that will be read by a lot of people and with that right, everyone expects more from you.
    Even after you pulled off the piece, the first thing you should have done was read up on what you pulled off.
    Instead you chose to come to this site and start a thread with the obviously biased title.

If you were actually looking for feedback, you could have titled your thread "Z30 build quality - Need feedback". See? That simple!!!

Don't call someone a fanboy if all you are saying is that the Z30 has horrible build quality without waiting for the so-called *feedback* you are here to supposedly collect!

LP&HG
    11-06-13 09:12 PM
    Z30 Disappointing Build Quality?-homer-simpson-doh.gif

Thanks, I will try not be an "OP".....
    anon2100101 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:14 PM
    Once upon a time the manuals were actually a part of the review process. Reviewers often commented on the usefulness of the product manual. This practice would usually involve opening said manual to at least research a few basic functions to ensure the manual made sense. Not doing so in the case of a product review seems foolish to me.
    My Q10 never actually came with a manual. I don't believe the Z30 phones do, either. All the software help is loaded onto the phone, and the hardware comes with a big picture of how to remove the back cover.
    ghundiraj likes this.
    11-06-13 10:02 PM
    This just reeks of BGR to me, regarding OP. I personally can't wait to get my hands on one. It would probably be months before I even got the idea to try to remove the back cover. Would be too busy wiping the drool off the screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:40 PM
    oh。。 what a pity
    how about q1o?
    11-06-13 10:48 PM
    BlackBerry lives in a world where end users get there phone from the carrier, where the counter person has put the SIM and SD card in. Or, the IT department where, again, someone with experience takes care of setting up the device. They have no reason to expect an end user will be removing the back cover.
    Most ppl I know buy phones cash, sim free and set them up for themselves some are also like me in that every removable part is always removed [just to see whats inside]
    11-06-13 10:48 PM
    "Who actually RTFM in the real world? For a phone? "

The world would be a much better place if people stopped and took a moment to read what the manufacturers have to say about their product.

I have the same problem at work, where people are too eager to use machines without having a clue. Invariably the machines break because they thought the manual didn't apply to them.

I'm sorry you broke the phone but in this day an age we are too poor not to RTFM. Perceived knowledge is a pet hate mine, please start reading manuals folks!

Posted via CB10
    ghundiraj likes this.
    11-06-13 10:51 PM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    With all do respect, all the articles on this subject were very clear before the Z30 arrived. I'm not the brightest but had no trouble understanding the subject.

Posted via CB10
    Sergeant_Im likes this.
    11-06-13 10:51 PM
    Horrible build quality?

More like incompetent user error.

The title should be "Z30 is not ldiot proof" as its not possible to make any device ldiot proof.

Maybe they should slap one of these warnings on Z30s,
    geraham, awindsr, ibpluto and 4 others like this.
    11-06-13 11:41 PM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable,
    Just check your own quality )))
    11-06-13 11:56 PM
    This must be the reason why iPhone users won't switch to Blackberry. It's just too complicated to follow instructions..... All I want is one simple button to press... Precisely why Blackberry is targeting the 'Prosumer' market and people with an IQ over 50.
    R Field likes this.
    11-07-13 01:48 AM
    Where would one find your articles?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 02:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    My guess would be.......the Comics section of the newspaper.
    revtech likes this.
    11-07-13 02:08 AM
    Yes indeed and it's not like I forced it . At first I thought "wow this slot is quite well done and well integrated in the bezel"... turned out this piece of fake metal (yes, the Z30 bezel is made of plastic...) is pretty useless
    I'm sorry but you are wrong the bezel is made of an alloy metal exactly like the Z10, your integrity has just been blown out of the water with both your stupidly not reading the manual with how to install the SIM and SD but by lying that the silver frame of the phone is plastic

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    11-07-13 02:09 AM
    I guess I got the point of RTFM
    I guess you don't get the point that testing dozens of phones all year long never required me to do so.
    Who RTMF anything to use an iPhone ?...man even any Android phone don't need that
    And I 'm sorry but I did not need to do so with the Z10 or the Q10
    This explains the level of accuracy in most phone reviews that I read.
    revtech, Sergeant_Im and bungaboy like this.
    11-07-13 02:12 AM

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!

Attachment 217865
    Dude. You are not a Blackberry user. You wrecked your demo unit. What did you expect by posting here?

Now try this: Post on an Apple Forum that you bought an iphone 5S and tried to take the back off to change the battery and you ripped the metal cover off and are now wondering if the build quality is bad. Next, do the same with a Moto X on an Android forum.

Here is a word of advice to you. Before writing a review on a smartphone, read someone else's review first. This will save you from having to RTFM and embarrassment on enthusiast forums.

If that was your phone, you wouldn't have pried the cover off without first reading the manual. But since it was a demo unit and you didn't actually buy the phone, you chose to wreck it with incredible force.
    anon2100101 and bungaboy like this.
    11-07-13 02:53 AM
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?

@Jonesy1966 Well nothing indicated this was a pre production unit. Blackberry usually send us their final devices a little bit before they go on sale.

Anyways, at least that's a wrning to those who considered buying this device.

To be honest I was the first one to be shocked. Again they usually have the best build quality along with Nokia and Apple phones
    I don't read manuals either. By the way, the SIM port under my iPhone 5S screen won't come off!?!? My friend said that it was actually a finger print reader (LOL -- as if!) but what does he know?

I then broke the chassis of the phone trying to remove the back cover (my friend said it doesn't have a removable back cover -- but what does he know?)

I then dunked it in water for 10 hours and it stopped working (my friend said it isn't water proof -- but what does he know?).

Anyways, I'm gonna write a blog about how crappy the 5S is...... :/

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 03:02 AM

Attachment 217865
    You are a tech-journalist? May be for child toys or kitchenware? :-D Or are you a woman caged in a body of a male-journalist? Women love to ignore the user manuals....:-D
    11-07-13 03:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Guillaume Belfiore
    Actually pretty positives reviews for OS and devices so far but Guillaume doesn't seem to see a bright future for the company.

I believe Guillaume regrets what happened to his Z30 and claims that BB should do a better job.
    I suggest as a possibility he got a review device that may have been "tortured" before reaching his hands.
    As I've been victim of my (foreign) English many times, I'll add this to the context for him also.

I for one do not share his POV about Z30 VS Z10 quality (or even Q10, Q5 - all of these at home and tried at least for a week in a row).
    He elaborates on what I believe is an accident, witch is not very professional IMHO.

We should let this thread settle down easy, all has been (over) said and each page is adding another level of anger.
    eddy_berry and revtech like this.
    11-07-13 03:07 AM
    Maybe you should of looked at the manual before ripping pieces of the phone off.

Posted from my Z30
    But he is a "tech journalist" LOL - I sure wouldn't put a lot faith in his reviews if I was buying something LOL
    11-07-13 03:18 AM
    Read before you do something. Z30 came with a back door sticker which let you know how to open the back door. So it was you who did not read it thru. Not because of a horrible build quality....
    11-07-13 03:33 AM
    I'm sorry but you are wrong the bezel is made of an alloy metal exactly like the Z10, your integrity has just been blown out of the water with both your stupidly not reading the manual with how to install the SIM and SD but by lying that the silver frame of the phone is plastic

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    hmm maybe he got a dummy Z30 for tested hahahahha
    garnok likes this.
    11-07-13 03:38 AM
273 ... 56789 ...