You just misinterpreted.
    If you have a non removable back, and you want a case, then the case increases the phone size.
    If you remove the back cover to add a case, then it snaps into where the rear cover plate was.
    Phone stays the same size.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I see what you mean. Like the flip cases from Samsung. I get it.
    awindsr likes this.
    11-08-13 01:26 AM
    Do you really believe he stopped reading?
    90% yes.
    11-08-13 02:43 AM
    why i laugh?lol.......
    11-08-13 03:06 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid
    I see your post and you are a tech journalist..uuhmm. Z30 comes in the box and there is a sticker on the back cover. it shows very clearly how to remove the cover. assuming you did not see or get that sticker, a cursory look at the phone would show that there is a slot at the bottom of the phone [ 5 cents coin] . if one puts their nail [ short or long] and pushes up, the cover pops up. sometime it is a bit stiff and Adam of crackberry has posted a how to take the cover off if stiff.
    I also checked the piece you are referring to and it is actually flush with the back cover and the other side really needs to be forced to break.

so I am somewhat perturbed by your post. the Z30 feels rock solid compared to the rather flimsy cover of the Z10. The phone is xtremely solid. the phone was released in Australia 1 month ago.

Attachment 217865
    Last edited by redchilli88; 11-08-13 at 04:49 AM.
    11-08-13 03:29 AM
    Just compared my z30 with my son's Samsung 4, and both are well built.

Stephen Green on Z30 to CB10
    11-08-13 03:48 AM
    I'd feel a bit insecure if there's no manual that comes with any electronic device. And when in doubt, Google it, or crackberry it.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 03:57 AM
    Just compared my z30 with my son's Samsung 4, and both are well built.

Stephen Green on Z30 to CB10
    I tend to agree, but many many many Blackberry fans have ragged on the build quality and materials used in the S4 many times.
    11-09-13 12:06 AM
    Nope, mine is perfect.
    11-09-13 12:50 AM
    I guess I got the point of RTFM
    I guess you don't get the point that testing dozens of phones all year long never required me to do so.
    Who RTMF anything to use an iPhone ?...man even any Android phone don't need that
    And I 'm sorry but I did not need to do so with the Z10 or the Q10

BTW I moderated the title of the thread
    Hey ham hands, you broke the case and its the cases fault? I'm as critical as they come on blackberry but this is a simple case of you rushing, screwing up and breaking something. Who needs to RTFM to use a phone? You. I just checked my Z30 and, sorry to say, I can't imagine how you thought that was a door or an opening. Even if you did think there would be a door / hatch with no hinge - the second you start to pull on it it doesn't budge. The phone isn't perfect, but I'm calling user error on this one and again, this is coming from a guy who will happily point out a blackberry flaw.

Public Service announcement for people who buy a Z30 without doing a base / modicum level of research. Your sim card slot is beside the memory card slot under the back cover. There is in fact no magical, hingeless door to access it.
    11-09-13 10:20 AM
    Posted via CB10
    11-09-13 10:48 AM
    my opinion for what its worth based on my experience so far... it is a dam good piece of kit
    chris8189, awindsr and bungaboy like this.
    11-09-13 11:36 AM
    Don't worry OP, when the horrible sales numbers for the Z30 comes in as expected you'll have the last laugh!
    I really wish there was a 'Dislike' button on these forums.

Posted via Q10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-09-13 04:09 PM
    Where would one find your articles?

Posted via CB10
    Trash bin?
    11-10-13 08:18 PM
    I own 2x Z30 and both do not have the above problem even I always open the back cover to remove / insert SIM card for phone switching purpose.
    11-10-13 09:10 PM
    Well, I told a trip to the Verizon store to check out the new Z30, and it is beautiful device. I was really checking it out and will hope to receive one for Christmas....

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 06:57 AM
    600 bucks with a defect. Are you going to have a small percentage of the amount you have paid for that as a compensation?

Of course no... thats why he hates it.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 07:13 AM
    I own 2x Z30 and both do not have the above problem even I always open the back cover to remove / insert SIM card for phone switching purpose.
    Its there... just don't do what the op did to his z30. Its very stupid... break and complain like a kid who broke his own toy and cried.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 07:14 AM
    Man you guys are rough! The op has taken a real bruising for being a tech journalist.
    11-17-13 08:05 AM
    Its there... just don't do what the op did to his z30. Its very stupid... break and complain like a kid who broke his own toy and cried.

Posted via CB10
    Yep mine has it as well...Just don't pull or yank it lol

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:12 AM
    Man you guys are rough! The op has taken a real bruising for being a tech journalist.
    Hehe some tech journalists need to be brought back to earth with a crash.

Because of his stupidity and yanking a part of the phone off that's not meant to be pulled off, he then thinks it's ok to blame BlackBerry for this supposed bad quality.

I guess it's ok for me to drop my mom's iphone5s and when it smashes, say that it's a poorly built phone and slate apple lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:17 AM
    Here mom, I broke my crayon because I assumed is was a pencil (sobbing) . It is better to conceal ones wisdom than it is to expose ones ignorance.

Posted via CB10
    raxamillion likes this.
    11-17-13 08:29 AM
    ... The "Build Quality" of the Z30 is excellent. ... the Z30 is superior to the Nexus 5 (but of course the Nexus 5 specs are excellent... I just wish I would be able to resist swiping up from the bottom bezel to activate it. "Press the hard buttons, Ryan...")

The battery cover design and strange 'outcropping' that covers the sim and SD card slots on the Z30 is just downright strange / unique in a bad way, period. Take it from me, a professional UX / UI analyst and designer.

But also bad is the stupid but all-too-common tiny pinhole and special pin thing included with the phone to pop out the SIM card "drawer"... Thanks for THAT abomination, Apple. Seriously, who would have guessed that would be necessary if they didn't read the instructions? And how many people have lost the little "tool" and now have trouble getting the SIM out? Plenty. ...
    What's "normal"? Take off the back, remove the battery if necessary, slide the SIM card into the very well labeled space provided, with the little "icon" that shows the orientation of the SIM, and put the battery back in, if necessary, and put the device back panel back on. Any device that deviates from this is not doing it the optimal way (you need an actual TOOL? Really?) and is fair game for criticism.

But "take off the back..." etc. (i.e. the optimal way) IS the way the Z30 does it... [Still] the [Z30] side panel is a confusing irrelevance and, again, because it's abnormal is fair game for criticism.
    Does any more really need to be said that Ryan hasn't summed in his post (paraphrased above). There is a Z30 design defect (OP's "build quality" is too strong) that an ordinary person might find confusing or disturbing. BTW, the expectation of a consumer for a smart phone likely conforms to something similar to an out of the box readiness and simplicity subject to, and perhaps only to, conformance with a few basic industry accepted design specs that (BTW) each and every mfr also may implicitly warrant.

Here, we have two users (both OP and Brian) that are on a higher level than the ordinary consumer and each has certified that there is a peculiarity in the Z30 design. How fatal or insignificant, who's to say....but when a co. is on the proverbial "hot seat" as BB, it may be a mosaic of relatively minor problems that keeps sales depressed (or results in legal claims) even as one might attempt argument that consumers surely are not rational as seemingly more hostile design defects are found in highly successful competitor products.

And there you have it: The quick and dirty legal synthesis with some consumer theory thrown into a proper closing presentation. No more, no less....
    Last edited by M65c02; 11-17-13 at 05:17 PM.
    11-17-13 04:58 PM
    So, uh, this piece does protrude significantly for all Z30 owners? I shouldn't look to get a replacement cover to get a better fit to match the case?

(And, yes, I'm another one who tried to pry it open when I saw how "different" it was from the rest of the case. And I'm generally pretty good with tech stuff. I still can't justify the poor fit. Though I managed to be gentle and then go look for information, which was amazingly simple to find.)

This matters to me because when I watch training videos with the device in landscape orientation on a little universal angled stand, with the volume controls on "top", this poor fit means it's not laying flat on the base of the stand. Not a biggie but they really couldn't make it blend in better?

I'm a radically loyal BB user and supporter. I just don't get this design flaw, though. What purpose does that protrusion serve? None, of course. With the kind of build quality this phone incorporates, it was really so hard to make the mold match the rest of the phone a little better? Rant over.

But I just want to make sure -- they do all protrude, yeah?

Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind. It seemed a lot more noticeable when I first got it. Just checked again and it's barely even there, and is so tiny it really doesn't change the way the phone lays flat at all. I withdraw the post.
    02-02-14 03:43 AM
    OP has started one of the funniest yet most useless and inappropriately titled threads ever. Basically reads "I broke my phone....blackberry are crap". What an epic failure of a career choice, to be a tech journalist. You failed to see the absolutely huge sticker showing how to remove the back door and you proceed to blame all and sundry for it. What a loss.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30 rocking 10.2.1.1925
    02-02-14 06:18 AM
    OP has started one of the funniest yet most useless and inappropriately titled threads ever. Basically reads "I broke my phone....blackberry are crap". What an epic failure of a career choice, to be a tech journalist. You failed to see the absolutely huge sticker showing how to remove the back door and you proceed to blame all and sundry for it. What a loss.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy white Z30 rocking 10.2.1.1925
    I think this point has been beat to death in this thread.

And I agree completely. In fact, this kind of wholly inept "reporting" in the industry, both by self-proclaimed "tech journalists" (or "bloggers") and their counterparts who somehow got jobs as "stock analysts" has drastically curtailed what should have been the meteoric re-emergence of BlackBerry once the QNX project with The Astonishing Tribe complementing it was well under way -- even before BB10 was officially launched, let alone after it came out and was clearly far more advanced than anything in the field (which anyone watching the QNX/TAT movement could have and should been predicted).

All I want to know at this point, if I may ask, my fellow Z30 users, is if that little length of trim protrudes a tiny bit for them, too, or if I should bother getting a replacement cover and hoping it's more flush. (Not that I even see anyplace online for buying a replacement cover, but I'm sure I can find it at BB HQ if needed.)

I know it's minor, but I love my BB phones and this tiny little distortion in the shape just distracts me a tiny bit -- at least at the moment, with it being new and all. (I didn't want to start a new thread just for this question since the topic doesn't warrant it, though I was surprised this is the only thread on the forum even commenting or asking about that little distortion in the case -- just to find out of this is universal or not, like I'm asking.)
    02-02-14 11:46 AM
273 ... 891011