just imagine what he would have written had his nail broken or chipped off... "the Z30 build quality is better than mine... my build quality is horrible, my nail chipped off while trying to open the sd card and sim door which i later found out to my amazement (i'm a tech journalist and know everything) that is wasn't a door but part of the bottem pannel which is supposed to come off... how stupid, not of me but the company. why design a back panel coming off... who does that anymore... innovate BB and don't make removable back panels, keep pace with the rest of the innovative companies out there"
    anyhing else wrong with the phone, no. anything good, no. any other good or bad comments, No. any other useless comments, No. just this bit of the door thingy, which wasn't a door but i though it was coz i'm a tech journalist and i know everything, and all phones have that so i @ss-u-me-d that BB would be the same and totally ignored the manuals, they are for dumb people, and totally ignored the picture on the protective plastic of the bottom panel... why waste time looking at pictures. totally ignored the fact that even when trying hard it didn't open i should have given a second thought to just skim through the manual/protective plastic to find out how to insert the sim in, but why should i, i just kept on applying more and more force and lo and be hold it broke... what a lousy build quality indeed.
    so yes the build quality is bad, any fault of mine in this, not at all... whose fault is it... BB cause they made the door of inferior quality than my nail, d@mn there goes a perfect opportunity to sue them for breaking my nail.
    serbanescu likes this.
    11-07-13 04:25 AM
    My Q10 never actually came with a manual. I don't believe the Z30 phones do, either. All the software help is loaded onto the phone, and the hardware comes with a big picture of how to remove the back cover.
    Mine came with one of those "Quick Start" manuals that is 95% pictures and details exactly how to insert the SIM and SD cards.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-07-13 05:12 AM
    My Q10 never actually came with a manual. I don't believe the Z30 phones do, either. All the software help is loaded onto the phone, and the hardware comes with a big picture of how to remove the back cover.
    I got mine 2nd hand and there was a manual in the box. But I never looked at it, I learned about before prying at things.
    revtech likes this.
    11-07-13 05:18 AM
    Most tech journalists are stupid. I don't think they know tech at all. They don't have a clue about electrical engineering, hardware engineering, and software development. These are the same guys who don't even know how to adjust HPF in the their audio units and couldn't properly adjust their big screen LED TV if their lives depended on it. Just a bunch a bloggers who played with an iPad and now think they're the ****t.
    revtech, Sergeant_Im and bungaboy like this.
    11-07-13 05:47 AM
    Maybe you should of looked at the manual before ripping pieces of the phone off.

Posted from my Z30
    Who reads the manual these days...
    11-07-13 05:48 AM
    Why does the OP hate Canada?
    danprown and eddy_berry like this.
    11-07-13 05:52 AM
    I'm not sure if it's just me, but when I see a Z30 sitting next to a Q10, the q looks like a million times better built... but surely all the good reviews of the Z30 can't be wrong, so I know I'm missing something...

from an australian Z10...
    11-07-13 05:58 AM
    I have one and I think it is brilliant.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 06:00 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    You're referring to the back cover... dude that's not the phones built quality are you kidding me. I have a z10 and had an HTC one and I believe that the Z30 has way better built quality and ergonomics than both these phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 06:09 AM
    I guess I got the point of RTFM
    I guess you don't get the point that testing dozens of phones all year long never required me to do so.
    Who RTMF anything to use an iPhone ?...man even any Android phone don't need that
    And I 'm sorry but I did not need to do so with the Z10 or the Q10

you review products and don't read the manual or pay attention to the sticker on the back of the phone. Must be very insightful reviews.

next try a car review where the car has keyless entry , and please have somebody make a video next time

BTW I moderated the title of the thread
    11-07-13 07:38 AM
    This is what I get from this thread: "I broke my phone but it is my phone's fault."

I would be too embarrassed to make this claim.

Z30 build quality is really good.

Posted via CB10
    revtech and bungaboy like this.
    11-07-13 07:56 AM
    I'll chime in here with my two cents.

Just got mine and i agree with the OP.

I'm a very particular person when i comes to gadgets and notice every detail.

That small tab on the left, due to the way it's incorporated into the frame (ie. Part of the cover instead of the phone), sticks out and makes it look like a defect.

It's not like the Q10 where when you run your finger around the edge of the phone it's one smooth frame (aside from the volume keys sticking out).

Moreover, it's compressible (the bump).

Pretty disappointed but i got it for employee pricing so i wont gripe about it too much, but this isn't worth the premium price at all.

Posted via CB10
    TurbanLedgend likes this.
    11-07-13 08:00 AM
    I'll chime in here with my two cents.

Just got mine and i agree with the OP.

I'm a very particular person when i comes to gadgets and notice every detail.

That small tab on the left, due to the way it's incorporated into the frame (ie. Part of the cover instead of the phone), sticks out and makes it look like a defect.

It's not like the Q10 where when you run your finger around the edge of the phone it's one smooth frame (aside from the volume keys sticking out).

Moreover, it's compressible (the bump).

Pretty disappointed but i got it for employee pricing so i wont gripe about it too much, but this isn't worth the premium price at all.

Posted via CB10
    You're complaining about that one little tab?

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-07-13 08:02 AM
    Guillaume Belfiore
    Actually pretty positives reviews for OS and devices so far but Guillaume doesn't seem to see a bright future for the company.

I believe Guillaume regrets what happened to his Z30 and claims that BB should do a better job.
    I suggest as a possibility he got a review device that may have been "tortured" before reaching his hands.
    As I've been victim of my (foreign) English many times, I'll add this to the context for him also.

I for one do not share his POV about Z30 VS Z10 quality (or even Q10, Q5 - all of these at home and tried at least for a week in a row).
    He elaborates on what I believe is an accident, witch is not very professional IMHO.

We should let this thread settle down easy, all has been (over) said and each page is adding another level of anger.
    Just wanted to thank you and bump this to the end, I wish I had read through before commenting on the OP; I deleted my snarky posts, the poor guy has been through enough already.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-07-13 08:24 AM
    Hmmmm......... It's difficult to take anything seriously from someone that professes to be a "journalist" yet can't form a proper sentence, use proper punctuation or spell correctly. Am I the only one that is tired of everyone and their mother calling themselves a "journalist" when they are only some guy with an opinion and a computer?
    11-07-13 09:05 AM
    Hmmmm......... It's difficult to take anything seriously from someone that professes to be a "journalist" yet can't form a proper sentence, use proper punctuation or spell correctly. Am I the only one that is tired of everyone and their mother calling themselves a "journalist" when they are only some guy with an opinion and a computer?
    English is not his native language, just so you know . . .
    pmccartney and Superfly_FR like this.
    11-07-13 09:10 AM
    In his defence, English is not his first language.
    Guillaume Belfiore

That said, I still believe he was foolish to blame what he did on build quality.
    11-07-13 09:15 AM
    I own, and am using a red Z10 (STL100-1), a white Q10 (STL100-2) and a black Z30 (STL100-2) and am using all three (yes I lug all three around.

So I guess I'm entitled to address this.

1. Yo dude in the corner ******** about the build quality. Maybe you did get a bum unit - I mean, it is a possibility. And you need to chill the Berry down because I can't see why you're getting so worked up insisting it's horrible and all and rant when you could have just shared your experience without getting all defensive in response, so people could actually take it seriously. Did you ever, being a journo, check with Blackberry if it was a manufacturing defect here (I assume you at least have a column on sorts in your publication) and you could have addressed a possible issue that might exist. Would have been more ethical.

2. To the people whining on and on - this is his personal experience. So I don't see what's the fuss about. I mean, if you do own a Z30 (otherwise your argument would have been rendered invalid), just check on yours, snap a pic of it even - and debunk this dude's rants. Instead of being engaged in an exchange of failed witticisms. Look, we all love the 'Berry - but I think there is a way of addressing things more positively.

Sorry if that didn't sit well with everyone. Just tired of endless whining and would love to see this forum being more OPEN to POSITIVE discussion. By that, I'm not saying everything has to be candy coated. Rather, a more intelligent discussion of the subjects raised.

Just sayin'...
    11-07-13 09:24 AM
    I own, and am using a red Z10 (STL100-1), a white Q10 (STL100-2) and a black Z30 (STL100-2) and am using all three (yes I lug all three around.

So I guess I'm entitled to address this.

1. Yo dude in the corner ******** about the build quality. Maybe you did get a bum unit - I mean, it is a possibility. And you need to chill the Berry down because I can't see why you're getting so worked up insisting it's horrible and all and rant when you could have just shared your experience without getting all defensive in response, so people could actually take it seriously. Did you ever, being a journo, check with Blackberry if it was a manufacturing defect here (I assume you at least have a column on sorts in your publication) and you could have addressed a possible issue that might exist. Would have been more ethical.

2. To the people whining on and on - this is his personal experience. So I don't see what's the fuss about. I mean, if you do own a Z30 (otherwise your argument would have been rendered invalid), just check on yours, snap a pic of it even - and debunk this dude's rants. Instead of being engaged in an exchange of failed witticisms. Look, we all love the 'Berry - but I think there is a way of addressing things more positively.

Sorry if that didn't sit well with everyone. Just tired of endless whining and would love to see this forum being more OPEN to POSITIVE discussion. By that, I'm not saying everything has to be candy coated. Rather, a more intelligent discussion of the subjects raised.

Just sayin'...
    danprown likes this.
    11-07-13 09:24 AM
    English is not his native language, just so you know . . .
    I don't think native language has anything to do with it. English is not my native language either but I do know when to use a period, comma, capital letter in a sentence no matter what language I'm using. The OP sure uses a lot of english slang for a non-native english speaker.
    11-07-13 09:26 AM
    Why don't you just touch and play with the Z30 and then tell us your thoughts.

It's simply a thing of beauty.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but when I see a Z30 sitting next to a Q10, the q looks like a million times better built... but surely all the good reviews of the Z30 can't be wrong, so I know I'm missing something...

from an australian Z10...
    11-07-13 09:30 AM
    I don't think native language has anything to do with it. English is not my native language either but I do know when to use a period, comma, capital letter in a sentence no matter what language I'm using. The OP sure uses a lot of english slang for a non-native english speaker.
    Well I was just saying in case you didn't know, if you still think its inexcusable then thats up to you I guess.
    11-07-13 10:07 AM

Just sayin'...
    Fully agree on open, positive, intelligent discussions.
    As long as nobody breaks the phone by improperly handling it and then starts a thread titled "horrible build quality".
    11-07-13 11:27 AM
    I'm a tech journalist myself with close to 16 years of experience covering technology. I mostly cover business tech, but I review all BlackBerry smartphones and reviewed the Z30 too. While I did not pry off the piece Guillaume is referring to, I got the feeling some users would and mentioned it in my review on Firstpost.com, which is India's fastest growing digital brand and is from India's most respected media group--just in case anyone here thinks I'm a self-labelled journalist. I DO NOT think this reflects poor build quality and nor do I personally feel that anyone should consider not buying the Z30 because of this, but fact is--it DOES reflect a bit of poor design. Perhaps the intention was to have a tray or side-slot for a SIM/microSD, which was then trashed, but whatever the intention, the fact is that the piece of metal placed in that area is misleading. Now, folks can jump on Guillaume as some have done, but facts are facts and reviewers are supposed to present facts. You can argue all you want, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't change the fact. Personally, I have mentioned this, but don't consider it important enough to deduct points for build quality, but the reader has a right to know. He's putting down money for a product and if I'm helping him make a buying decision, I need to tell him everything--good and bad, add my opinion and leave it to him whether he considers this a deal-breaker or not.
    TurbanLedgend likes this.
    11-07-13 11:49 AM
    I'm a tech journalist myself with close to 16 years of experience covering technology. I mostly cover business tech, but I review all BlackBerry smartphones and reviewed the Z30 too. While I did not pry off the piece Guillaume is referring to, I got the feeling some users would and mentioned it in my review on Firstpost.com, which is India's fastest growing digital brand and is from India's most respected media group--just in case anyone here thinks I'm a self-labelled journalist. I DO NOT think this reflects poor build quality and nor do I personally feel that anyone should consider not buying the Z30 because of this, but fact is--it DOES reflect a bit of poor design. Perhaps the intention was to have a tray or side-slot for a SIM/microSD, which was then trashed, but whatever the intention, the fact is that the piece of metal placed in that area is misleading. Now, folks can jump on Guillaume as some have done, but facts are facts and reviewers are supposed to present facts. You can argue all you want, blah, blah, blah, but that doesn't change the fact. Personally, I have mentioned this, but don't consider it important enough to deduct points for build quality, but the reader has a right to know. He's putting down money for a product and if I'm helping him make a buying decision, I need to tell him everything--good and bad, add my opinion and leave it to him whether he considers this a deal-breaker or not.
    Fact is he didn't read the tag/instructions and broke it. If I broke an iPhone 5 because I tried to pry it open thinking it must have a removable battery, can I then write a review article saying how poor a design it is not having a removable battery and I broke it? NO!
    11-07-13 12:07 PM
273 ... 678910 ...