Well obviously I'm also a not a blind fanboy... freely insulting a user who beg to differ...and who's just asking for feedbacks

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:15 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    Umm how could you manage that? Hope this ain't your day job lol

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-06-13 10:15 AM
    I agree with most people in this thread that the build quality of the overall phone is great. I'd even go as far to say near perfect. But I also have to agree with the OP that the glued on tab to the rear cover feels cheap. The rest of the phone fits together amazingly well, but this little tab which protrudes on the side and splits the bezel shouldn't exist. Leave the bezel as one solid piece. It's nitpicking, but this is a flagship device.
    11-06-13 10:26 AM
    Well obviously I'm also a not a blind fanboy... freely insulting a user who beg to differ...and who's just asking for feedbacks

Posted via CB10
    That's good. You shouldn't be. I'm not discrediting you as being tech biased. You just jumped the gun a bit here! Gotta be a bit more careful next time since people refer to your voice when deciding what to do with their wallets.

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 10:29 AM
    Wow, OP is not getting a lot of love here
    11-06-13 10:35 AM
    I agree with most people in this thread that the build quality of the overall phone is great. I'd even go as far to say near perfect. But I also have to agree with the OP that the glued on tab to the rear cover feels cheap. The rest of the phone fits together amazingly well, but this little tab which protrudes on the side and splits the bezel shouldn't exist. Leave the bezel as one solid piece. It's nitpicking, but this is a flagship device.
    Alright, this is ridiculous. Tabs are generally made of plastic! The back cover that's known as glass weave is a Fiber (fiberglass in this case) Reinforced Plastic (the matrix that holds the fibers together). They're bonded chemically. The plastic tabs were likely adhered on with the same plastic matrix. Using aluminum, steel, or magnesium would not adhere as well as the plastic would. It's also utterly unnecessary for a cover that is generally NOT going to be removed.

Metallic tabs make more sense when the entire structure is made of the same metal. Often it's created in one piece.

Plastic has gotten a negative rep around here and it really shouldn't. It has great uses. Now I only have the Q10 back cover to refer to, but BlackBerry did a great job in the fabrication of the Q10 cover and I'm sure the same holds the the Z30.

Posted with my Q10!
    dracolnyte likes this.
    11-06-13 10:39 AM
    BlackBerry lives in a world where end users get there phone from the carrier, where the counter person has put the SIM and SD card in. Or, the IT department where, again, someone with experience takes care of setting up the device. They have no reason to expect an end user will be removing the back cover.
    I would have to disagree with that statement just because of the SD card. I think it's common to remove the card and swap it between devices like a PC for faster file management. Maybe this is the slightly above average end user, but still a fair margin of consumers.
    11-06-13 10:39 AM
    if the bezel was all one piece they would have to redesign the way the sim card and micro sd card are inserted into the device, that piece would cover the slot
    11-06-13 10:40 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30 Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    I thought, I thought, I thought. Like most reviewers now, you didn't take any time to do any actual research before you start fooling around with a product. Then if something doesn't work like you think, don't know what can be done, or break it, you blame the product. I can't tell you how many times I have head from reviewers and consumers that the product sucks or they broke it because they didn't take the two or three minutes to read the start sheet or instructions. I have had many people screw up a USB port or old keyboard/mouse connector because they tried to force the plug into the connector or slot. They didn't take the time to actually read or look what should go where. Then they blame the computer? Really, only a child doesn't take responsibility for what they do.

What I am really disappointed in is the quality of reviewers, the Z30 build quality is just great, the reviewer quality is horrible. I hope you man up and take responsibility for your lack of professionalism and stop acting like a child.
    serbanescu and bungaboy like this.
    11-06-13 10:44 AM
    I would have to disagree with that statement just because of the SD card. I think it's common to remove the card and swap it between devices like a PC for faster file management. Maybe this is the slightly above average end user, but still a fair margin of consumers.
    I agree, I often would swap micro sd cards between devices and when transferring files, however I went out and purchased a 64gb card, and with the file manager, I find I very rarely have to remove the card. but I definitely hear what your saying, the design could have been better with respect to accessing the cards
    11-06-13 10:44 AM
    Alright, this is ridiculous. Tabs are generally made of plastic! The back cover that's known as glass weave is a Fiber (fiberglass in this case) Reinforced Plastic (the matrix that holds the fibers together). They're bonded chemically. The plastic tabs were likely adhered on with the same plastic matrix. Using aluminum, steel, or magnesium would not adhere as well as the plastic would. It's also utterly unnecessary for a cover that is generally NOT going to be removed.
    Posted with my Q10!
    I understand what you're saying completely. I have nothing against plastic or any bias towards metal. I can only say from my experience with the phone that the tab, whatever it's made from should have been designed differently. I feel the sim and sd slots should have been placed underneath the rear cover and not under the side tab. Because they went under the side tab, they had to make a side tab rather than keep the bezel as a smooth single piece.

Everyone can have their own opinion. For me a complete bezel around would have been a better design. Is it really a big deal? No.
    11-06-13 10:46 AM
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?

@Jonesy1966 Well nothing indicated this was a pre production unit. Blackberry usually send us their final devices a little bit before they go on sale.

Anyways, at least that's a wrning to those who considered buying this device.

To be honest I was the first one to be shocked. Again they usually have the best build quality along with Nokia and Apple phones
    You are being lazy and blaming the product. They don't put instructions in just for fun. And yes, there are many products including phones that actually require manuals.

Let this be a warning to people who read reviewers. They think they know the product, but don't take time to learn about the product. People who think they know things are always the worst.
    chrizrun30 likes this.
    11-06-13 10:47 AM
    There is definitely a difference in how people treat devices they were given versus ones that they purchased. I paid $875 here in Bermuda for my Z30 last week and you best believe I researched the best/easiest way to open the back of the device before I went monkeying around with it like the OP did.

Posted via CB10.... Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    jafrul, raino, TrueKulcha and 1 others like this.
    11-06-13 10:50 AM
    it's not about just about not reading what most people ignore anyways. it's about selling a phone I can break with my thumb. Com'on stop trolling around. i'm not saying BB is turning into Samsung - even though they made use of some cheap plastic !!! i'm just warning people this may happen to them at some point!
    How many times would you have to remove the back cover? Once to put in the SIM, usually once for the life of the phone. And once to insert a SD card (unless you like swapping out SD cards all the time). So this isn't a big deal UNLESS people start prying at things without knowing what they are doing.

Oh, if you took the time to research the product, you will know that it isn't a plastic back, but glass weave. Again, you are being lazy before writing.
    11-06-13 10:50 AM
    if the bezel was all one piece they would have to redesign the way the sim card and micro sd card are inserted into the device, that piece would cover the slot
    Yes, and that's what I would have personally preferred so the slots were not on the side. Or keep them on the side, but have a very flush door. My device door protrudes more than I would have liked, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. Just nitpicking.

I agree, I often would swap micro sd cards between devices and when transferring files, however I went out and purchased a 64gb card, and with the file manager, I find I very rarely have to remove the card. but I definitely hear what your saying, the design could have been better with respect to accessing the cards
    Yep file manager is sweet, but sometimes for dumping a large hd movie it can be quite a bit slower.
    11-06-13 10:51 AM
    There are two definite camps in CrackBerry, those pro and those anti and it seems ne'er the twain shall meet. The problem is a lot of perfectly good threads get derailed while the two camps attack each other over seemingly minor issues. I've come to the point of why should I bother anymore. All that needed to be done in this thread is for someone to point out why the back comes off and what the tab is and that could have been achieved relatively quickly, instead we get 3 pages of professional and personal attacks on the OP.

I'm done with this thread, and I'm pretty well done with CrackBerry forums, I think I'll just stick with the news updates from now on and leave all the bickering to those that enjoy that sort of thing.
    TurbanLedgend likes this.
    11-06-13 10:55 AM
    my advice for the thread starter:

Go and get an another Z30 / Z30 back cover and try it again. There is always a possibilty to have a faulty device. Devices are made by humans and therefore device can have faulty parts. Even if it is the back door/cover.

Just try it again.

I am pleased with the build quality of my Q10, but i am sure there are also some Q10's with mistakes. So this could be with your Z30.

p.s. as a tech journalist you should have been thinking about trying it again / getting another device before posting here - because journalism is wiriting on a based or researched facts and not on "could it be?"... You cant test a device which is faulty and say: All of them are lousy. You have to be more specific. Thinking about the whole thing.
    Maybe you got a faulty device, so you contact BlackBerry (easy as a journalist) and get a new back door/ Test device or whatever. And start testing again.
    And at last: as a journalist you have to inform yourself about the product. You should be an expert in reviewing this device. For sure you know about missing apps. Why not how to remove the back door/cover?
    bungaboy, jprevost and TrueKulcha like this.
    11-06-13 11:04 AM
    I guess I got the point of RTFM
    I guess you don't get the point that testing dozens of phones all year long never required me to do so.
    Who RTMF anything to use an iPhone ?...man even any Android phone don't need that
    And I 'm sorry but I did not need to do so with the Z10 or the Q10

BTW I moderated the title of the thread
    So, you refuse to RTFM, fine. What about this then:
    Attachment 217902

I just don't get this. You break something, because you don't operate it properly.
    And then you feel you have to start a thread complaining about "horrible build quality" of the item that you broke, because of a mistake that you made.

The Z30 is built like a tank. Definitely one of the most solidly built large screen smartphones that I ever owned.
    I don't want to educate you. But if I was in your shoes, I would reassess if being a tech journalist is the right profession for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Z30 Disappointing Build Quality?-257.jpg  
    Last edited by gnirkatto; 11-06-13 at 11:30 AM.
    LWKING, irweezyy, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    11-06-13 11:15 AM
    Can't judge a book by its cover.

Oh wait... wrong forum...

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 11:15 AM
    I'm usually very open minded with people's frustrations and concerns, but I'm sorry, I can't for this one. If you're testing a phone, my first thought would be that you would use it like normal people do. Not try and rip things off. My 8 year old would know better. If he isn't sure how to do something, he typically will ask. As an adult, if you're not sure how to do something (which you admitted yourself), you shouldn't just stick your finger in what appears to be a hole, and rip it off, then say the device is low quality because it came off. The Z30 door comes off the same way as a Z10. So I'm assuming as a tech writter, you would have reviewed the Z10. If you did, than why didn't you simply assume the back cover would come off the same way? When I got my Z30, I did not look into how the cover comes off...I just assumed it would be the same as the Z10, which it was. I just looked at my own Z30 to see what you saw, and never in a million years would I have thought THAT was how you take the back cover off. Every device I've had that has a removable cover, they always have a specific area to remove it from. Looking at the piece you ripped off, I have NO idea how you would have thought that was were you did it, considering if you look at the bottom of the phone, you can clearly see the opening where you'd open it from.

To say the Z30 is a 'horrible build quality' is not accurate. Use the phone as it should, and than review it. Will you drop it from 100 feet, watch it break apart and open a new thread to say "Z30 has a horrible build quality because it can't withstand a drop from 100 feet?" Judge a phone by how it works, not now you can rip it apart when doing something you shouldn't.

Sorry, venting today....Frustrated with this post. I find that the Z30 is the best built phone Blackberry has made.
    11-06-13 11:18 AM
    Can't judge a book by its cover.

Oh wait... wrong forum...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah were judging hard-core over here

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 11:18 AM
    Horrible build quality? Yes, very bad... if you don't read the instruction manual before prying at the phone lol..
    11-06-13 11:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes. It is amazing what people can call themselves in today's world with no formal training. No training in IT and no training in journalism, but you call yourself a "Technology journalist". Oh well. You learn as you go. Now learn to RTFM.

Guillaume Belfiore - Resume
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-06-13 11:41 AM
    oh my window won't open, -grabs hammer and bashes window- ahh man the window is open but wow that's horrible build quality. I broke the window with a hammer.

someone call the OP's mom, he has a horrible build quality. and yes please reassess your choice of day job, preferably something other than "tech journalism"
    11-06-13 11:46 AM
    Nothing is really wrong with build quality then if you force something out that is not supposed to. That's like saying I have to plunge my toilet each time I use it because it won't go down. Oh wait that's what the lever/button is for?
    11-06-13 11:52 AM
273 12345 ...