the bezel is a painted magnesium alloy just like the z10s
    11-06-13 09:14 AM
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?

@Jonesy1966 Well nothing indicated this was a pre production unit. Blackberry usually send us their final devices a little bit before they go on sale.

Anyways, at least that's a wrning to those who considered buying this device.

To be honest I was the first one to be shocked. Again they usually have the best build quality along with Nokia and Apple phones
    and that is why you mess up the phone because you failed to RTFM!! Smh. Tech Journalist? Not surprised seeing as how you guys write **** all the time and here you are telling us that all phones are supposed to be the same, so no need for manual. You have lost all credibility and your defence is shot to ****!! Now let see some more come and help you with your defence....
    SteveBB10 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:14 AM
    Not sure what to think of this thread. Is it an honest state of confusion or a thinly vailed attempt to find/force something negative?

OP, if that part was indeed as easy to rip off as you say I am surprised to see the glue marks as they are (and as much). I do forensic engineering work from time to time and my experience with such glue marks (at least what I can see from the photo....why is it in black and white??) is the part that came from an area that looked like that (post removal) came out kicking and screaming. You had to have known at some early stage that that piece isn't supposed to come out.....again, might be wrong, but just going by the visual evidence. Perhaps you can take some pictures of the part that you removed.

With this said, I would agree that it would be nice to have seen this in a real metal and unitized, but I suspect some cost consessions needed to be made full well knowing the sales volume will not be that high on such a device and price point expectations will be lower than that of rivals.
    11-06-13 09:18 AM
    It's just me or what? I found this tread funny lolx Anyway, my deepest condolences on the back cover incident....
    11-06-13 09:18 AM
    Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!...
    You are a tech journalist ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    11-06-13 09:25 AM
    Also the back cover is not "plastic" but a glass weave material.

Posted via CB10
    Technically it's fiber reinforced plastic (FRP).

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 09:26 AM
    the bezel is a painted magnesium alloy just like the z10s
    You have no idea how long I've been looking for this information. Thanks for that

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 09:27 AM
    it's not about just about not reading what most people ignore anyways. it's about selling a phone I can break with my thumb. Com'on stop trolling around. i'm not saying BB is turning into Samsung - even though they made use of some cheap plastic !!! i'm just warning people this may happen to them at some point!
    Then i guess the iphone is poorly made as i can render any iphone useless with my thumb. And i have to several.

PS you sound like geller over at bgr you blame others for your mistakes.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    11-06-13 09:34 AM
    There is a tab molded as part of the back cover. The tab covers the SD card and SIM slots. A piece of magnesium alloy is glued on the tab to maintain the trim appearance.

Attachment 217874

Attachment 217875

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 09:37 AM
    Well as much as I don't like that those tabs are glued plastic, I don't really think prying at random bits makes it a bad device. Doing a little reading on how to apply a sim card to the phone would have saved you a little trouble. Anyways, this is the first time I've read about this problem so I doubt many people make this mistake.

Posted via my Z30
    11-06-13 09:39 AM
    I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?
    First thing I ever do is throw away the instructions.

A bit surprised by what you say considering how tough my Z10 is maybe the person assembling it ran out of glue, considering how well bbs are normally put together I expect this is a one off.
    No excuse because quality control should spot this , signs of past shoddy management.
    11-06-13 09:40 AM
    While I agree that my Z10 felt more 'solid' the materials and design of the Z30 look more 'high end'. In this market high end sells more than solid feel. We've seen that with the Z10 reviews and comments on the dull design.

I can understand making comments on the volume buttons being soft as a design flaw but you not knowing how to open the back cover and ripping off the silver piece on the side has nothing to do with build quality or BlackBerry. It has everything with you not knowing what you were doing.
    11-06-13 09:43 AM
    Well... it's not like the iPhone will ever let you find a SD slot anyways...

Then i guess the iphone is poorly made as i can render any iphone useless with my thumb. And i have to several.

PS you sound like geller over at bgr you blame others for your mistakes.
    8lackberry8 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:43 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    I did not have that problem with my Z30, in fact it's feeling very well built, all of the buttons and how everything fits together including how the back cover works feels premium to me. Maybe you just got bad luck on that one. I'm sure all manufacturers have some quality issues. I don't see any widespread evidence on this site of Z30 quality issues.
    11-06-13 09:45 AM
    Well as much as I don't like that those tabs are glued plastic, I don't really think prying at random bits makes it a bad device. Doing a little reading on how to apply a sim card to the phone would have saved you a little trouble. Anyways, this is the first time I've read about this problem so I doubt many people make this mistake.

Posted via my Z30
    You're kidding right? Tabs are almost always made of plastic. The OP makes it sound like they used elmer's glue for the adhesion. I wouldn't buy into it.

This issue here is most likely just user error.

Posted with my Q10!
    11-06-13 09:47 AM
    I'm sorry you have had a bad experience but my Z30 is built like a monster, however I did follow the instructions on how to remove the battery door. Hopefully CB will release the back plate for you to purchase.
    11-06-13 09:51 AM
    Hmmm......strange post, there are lots very happy users with posts in the forum praising the build quality of the Z30, comparing the build quality to the solid Q10. I do kind of agree that things you pay for are handled with a lot more care, plus this might not have been the best post for a tech journalist OP.....
    waterlilly10 likes this.
    11-06-13 09:51 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Attachment 217865
    You would think a tech journalist would know how to read.
    11-06-13 09:56 AM
    They made the backplate removable to allow cases to snap on as a replacement to the backplate and maintain thinness.

Posted from my Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-06-13 09:56 AM
    Well... it's not like the iPhone will ever let you find a SD slot anyways...
    Couple of minutes with an angle grinder will sort that out. have as many slots as you like

I am tempted to get a Z30 now, on second reading what you say seems like a load of cr** if you were trying to seriously do a product evaluation. I wonder what you stuck in the micro USB.
    11-06-13 10:00 AM
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?
    Seems like some people do.
    11-06-13 10:01 AM
    You would think a tech journalist would know how to read.
    pissing in my pants right now...
    11-06-13 10:04 AM
    The build quality is nice

Posted from my awesome Z30 on O2 UK with 10.2.0.224
    11-06-13 10:08 AM
    Yeah you don't seem very good at tech, especially when you claim that the Z30 has bad build quality. With all the reviews that have praised it, you would think one would search internally for the fault before projecting that it's BB's fault.

Are you an example of the norm for tech journalists? Because right now I don't value your opinion very much and wouldn't mind if you found another line of work.

Posted with my Q10!
    der_mit and raxamillion like this.
    11-06-13 10:08 AM
    I bought, and paid for my Z30, and I use it and I love it, quality is great.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 10:12 AM
273 1234 ...