I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!
    But I mean . isn't that really confusing ? Am I the only one ?

In comparison, the Z10 and Q10 look very solid

Z30 Disappointing Build Quality?-06696778-photo-blackberry-z30.jpg
    Last edited by guillaumeb; 11-06-13 at 10:52 AM. Reason: moderating the title of the thread
    11-06-13 08:26 AM
    Wow! I haven't used a Z30 so I am anxiously awaiting what owners of the phone think. Weird that you could split it apart like that!
    11-06-13 08:30 AM
    I hate to say it but did you RTFM before playing with your phone?

I am sure that I could rip bits off anything that were not meant to be ripped off...

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:35 AM
    That has nothing to do with quality. It looks like a piece of metal trim glued on that you had to pry to get off. At least if it is permanent damage, you can just get a new back cover for it, which you cannot do for most phones of this size and style.
    FastLane228 and robhenry24 like this.
    11-06-13 08:35 AM
    Yes indeed and it's not like I forced it . At first I thought "wow this slot is quite well done and well integrated in the bezel"... turned out this piece of fake metal (yes, the Z30 bezel is made of plastic...) is pretty useless
    dracolnyte likes this.
    11-06-13 08:36 AM
    Although I don't have a Z30 as my daily driver, I do use one from time to time. One of the reasons I stay with BB is because of the overall build quality of the hardware, my Z10 has stood up to some fairly rough use since January and the thing still looks new (once the screen's been cleaned!) and I don't use a screen protector at all, never liked them (I do use a holster, I hate putting phones in my pocket). It feels as solid as the first day I got it too, nothing feels loose or creaks. It's too early to tell with the Z30, it's being tested as part of our fleet, but I've noticed nothing untoward in the short time I've used it, everything seems to be screwed and glued together properly. I know device manufacturers used to send the press pre-production units, are they still doing that? Could that be the issue?
    11-06-13 08:36 AM
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?

@Jonesy1966 Well nothing indicated this was a pre production unit. Blackberry usually send us their final devices a little bit before they go on sale.

Anyways, at least that's a wrning to those who considered buying this device.

To be honest I was the first one to be shocked. Again they usually have the best build quality along with Nokia and Apple phones
    11-06-13 08:38 AM
    I think it's a compromise between "we don't need anything removable except the SIM and SD" and "we need a removable back for fancy cases". I think they could have made a little cavity in the back for the SIM and SD, keeping the bezel in one piece, or they could have just dropped the idea of a removable back.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:40 AM
    Supposedly the door is removable. There was just an article posted about this last week:

How to open the BlackBerry Z30 battery door | CrackBerry.com
    11-06-13 08:42 AM
    I tested and reviewed the Z30 at work (i'm a tech journalist) and I have to say I was pretty disappointed by the build quality of the Z30

Since I read the battery was not removable, I thought the back cover was not removable as well.
    On the left side I saw that piece of metal which looked like a slot
    So I naturally thought it was the tray to use to place my SIM and SD card. But guess what, I unglued the thing with my thumb !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06696778-photo-blackberry-z30.jpg 
Views:	8725 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	217865
    The back cover comes with a protector showing you how to remove it. Plus I am sure it must be explained in the manual how to remove it. And it has been covered in tech sites that the cover comes off. So I am surprised as a tech journalist that you didn't know it came off.

Anyways, I am not personally crazy about this cover part as it can stick out a bit more than I like depending on how you put the cover back on.

Also due to the way it is built I am not surprised you could pry it off.

But I don't think it is a build issue that people should worry about since the majority will know the cover comes off. But maybe time will tell otherwise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    John Ho, Elite1, shupor and 2 others like this.
    11-06-13 08:43 AM
    I found the same issue with the backdoor sim tray cover. When I first got the z30 I was unsure whether it was a door since it protruded from the rest of the bezel. I had seen quite a few clips on the z30 before I got it, so I thought to take the back off first. I can completely see how someone could make this mistake.

What's terrible is that if they had just gone with a complete bezel, the phone would have been close to perfect in form and feel imo.
    11-06-13 08:48 AM
    Not saying this is you, but I've always said, most people who place a value in something (ie didn't get for free) treat their device with a higher degree of care on average. Not blaming you for not reading up on it, but taking a quick look on a Google search for 20 seconds would have been all it took. Sorry you got a bum deal, hope you can get fixed/replaced!

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1791, waiting on VZW Z30
    11-06-13 08:52 AM
    It doesn't take much to be a "tech journalist " I see. I made sure I read up on this before I attempted to remove the back cover off mine. Oh wait... you're more into the writing aspect of journalism so no reading requires I imagine.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 08:52 AM
    It doesn't take much to be a "tech journalist " I see. I made sure I read up on this before I attempted to remove the back cover off mine. Oh wait... you're more into the writing aspect of journalism so no reading requires I imagine.
    Posted via CB10
    Nice troll attempt kiddo
    11-06-13 08:56 AM
    Not saying this is you, but I've always said, most people who place a value in something (ie didn't get for free) treat their device with a higher degree of care on average. Not blaming you for not reading up on it, but taking a quick look on a Google search for 20 seconds would have been all it took. Sorry you got a bum deal, hope you can get fixed/replaced!
    it's not about just about not reading what most people ignore anyways. it's about selling a phone I can break with my thumb. Com'on stop trolling around. i'm not saying BB is turning into Samsung - even though they made use of some cheap plastic !!! i'm just warning people this may happen to them at some point!
    11-06-13 08:59 AM
    I'd say try to change the thread title. You are just as culpable in it as BlackBerry. If I poured engine coolant in my wiper fluid container in my car, I wouldn't title a thread on the Jeep Forums " 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a horrible design ". Of course if I did that I wouldn't post on a site basically proving I was the poster child for *facepalm*

11-06-13 09:01 AM
    I don't think this is enough to call it horrible?

Posted via CB10
    manonthemoon likes this.
    11-06-13 09:02 AM
    I don't think this is enough to call it horrible?

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point.

11-06-13 09:04 AM
    Like I tell all my fellow male friends...

"The paper in the box isn't just good fire starter, they are there for a reason!"

What you did was pull a standard "guy" move and try to figure out a solution before getting all the information and facts. That little booklet in the box provided the much needed details, just saying...

Cheers

Cheers!
    Maybe you should of looked at the manual before ripping pieces of the phone off.

Posted from my Z30
    theblob, ibpluto, John Ho and 7 others like this.
    @lerxster I hate to say it but I usually place myself as a classic user. Who actually RTFM in the real world ? and actually, should I still need to RTFM to use... a phone ?

Anyways, at least that's a wrning to those who considered buying this device.
    I agree to some extent about the RTFM for phones, but hell, they've got services setup for people to learn how to use smartphones. And as a "tech journalist" you should at least know a bit about the phone, such as it has a removable back where the SD and SIM slots are underneath.
    And a warning to those considering the device? What are you warning them of? Considering I'm sure you could ask a useless mobile store rep how to install your SIM and SD card (even they know it's behind the back cover).
    John Ho likes this.
    11-06-13 09:06 AM
    The build quality of the z30>>>>>>>>>z10.

Posted from my Z30
    11-06-13 09:10 AM
    Also the back cover is not "plastic" but a glass weave material.

Posted via CB10
    8lackberry8 and ewakil12 like this.
    11-06-13 09:11 AM
    I guess I got the point of RTFM
    I guess you don't get the point that testing dozens of phones all year long never required me to do so.
    Who RTMF anything to use an iPhone ?...man even any Android phone don't need that
    And I 'm sorry but I did not need to do so with the Z10 or the Q10

BTW I moderated the title of the thread
    11-06-13 09:13 AM

On the left side I saw that piece of metal plastic which looked like a slot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06696778-photo-blackberry-z30.jpg 
Views:	8725 
Size:	374.4 KB 
ID:	217865
    So now you probably going to bash it in your review when it was really your fault.

Men never read the manual. This is proof. Lol
    11-06-13 09:14 AM
273 123 ...