In the settings preferences, we have the ability to encrypt the handset and the memory cards.

Isn't the handset already secure? What exactly doesn't he encryption do?

As for encryption of the memory card, does that mean I can only access the information through my device? I can use a stand alone card reader connected to my PC to read the contents right? I guess this is good but what happens when your BlackBerry gets lost or stolen, how can we read or retrieve the contents of the card?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:32 AM
    Yes, it's to ensure your data can't be read if it's stolen off the device. You can still transfer files to your PC through your phone but you'll be out of luck using your memory card reader.

You just need to remember to decrypt the data before you wipe your device, or it won't be readable by the phone afterwards.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 03:16 AM
    OK thanks.

What about phone encryption? I thought once you lock your phone the data is pretty safe. After 10 failed attempts to unlock the device it wipes itself no?

So if that's the case, why have the encrypt the phone feature?

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 03:20 AM
    If someone wants your data and has direct access to your flash memory/phone it's easier with even the password and without encryption. I think..

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 04:40 AM
    Only encryption for business use. For consumers it's not really interesting to do. Specially if you install lot of times leaks

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 05:12 AM
    Anyone use encryption on their bb10? I was considering doing it just in case I lost my phone, all my pictures on my SD card. Not that I have anything that great but still, I'm not a facebook person, I don't want all kinds of pictures of everything floating around

Posted Via CB10 - Q10SQN100-1/10.2.0.1803
    01-14-14 02:01 PM
    Encryption is a great option, but can also be a deadly one if you don't know how to use it properly. In the enterprise we use encryption for all data. The part that makes BlackBerry so secure is that all data transferred from our devices through BBRY's servers is encrypted, without our input.

The level of encryption on our device is more like a physical level form of protection, a 1st or 2nd line of defense per say. You have your device password, which most would consider the true 1st. So, when you enable encryption on your device it generates a random hashed algorithm, which is only unlocked by a random generated encryption key. Our device allows us to encrypt the device file system as well as the memory card. Encrypting your device file system is smart, largely because you don't usually modify or transfer those files. Encrypting your memory card is smart too, but it can become a catch 22, because if you remove or transfer those files to another device, or even send it to someone, the encryption key does not go with it, thus rendering the file useless. In the event you wipe your device or load a leak, you lose the encryption key, and in most cases the file can never be recovered or opened. The key verifies/associates the encryption algorithm on the file and unlocks it. There is no other way.

So yes it can be very helpful, but it pays to make yourself knowledgeable about what you're doing. And yes, my file system is encrypted, but not my memory card. I have a 64gb card, encrypting that would absolutely suck, because I couldn't use my files anywhere else without decrypting it first. And the last time I checked, you can't specifically decrypt one file at a time. It's all or nothing.
    01-14-14 03:03 PM
    Doesn't the phone decrypt them as you access them? So say your reading files through the phone with BlackBerry link, the phone is doing the translation automatically. Or you send someone a picture, the phone decrypts it, then sends it.

01-14-14 08:47 PM
    Doesn't the phone decrypt them as you access them? So say your reading files through the phone with BlackBerry link, the phone is doing the translation automatically. Or you send someone a picture, the phone decrypts it, then sends it.

I'll have to recheck myself as it has been awhile since I received a file in this manner, but I've always found that the file is sent as is, the user on the other end won't be able to utilize/save the file. They may be able to preview it though.
    01-15-14 09:55 AM