Hi all, so I've had my Z30 for close to 1 year now and I thought I would give you my thoughts on it. Both positive and negative. My background: First smartphone was a curve, then I moved to an iPhone, iPhone 3GS, then a Samsung Note 2, then finally the Blackberry Z30. So the Z30 was my first introduction to Blackberry 10.

First, the good:

-Like the OS, the active frames, moving around the OS, lots of different options (almost too many!). Performance is very good for Blackberry native Apps.
    -Sound is very good
    -Browser is generally very good. Can't really complain.
    -Like the HDMI out
    -Build quality of the Z30 is very good, mine is still in good shape after several drops and mishaps. I do have a case on it.
    -Like the notification options, the LED.
    -Battery life even after 1 year is good. Lasts all day.
    -Reception and WIFI signal is very good.
    -The Hub is very good where all information is centralized.
    -Sharing media option is nice, attaching files, multi-select, etc, very handy.
    -Emulation of Android apps (this is good and bad, see below). Many apps work.
    -Video recording is really good, sound is great.
    -The camera is pretty good. Room for improvement but generally pretty good.

Now the Bad:
    -phone can sometimes get laggy, sometimes some apps stop working, need to reset the phone. This is not very often but it has happened in the video app, the browser and others. I'm running the last official release for Bell Canada which is software release 10.2.1.2977.
    -Phone has spontaneously rebooted- again, not very often but it has happened more than once in a year.
    -No Audio from apps over USB. My iPhone 3GS used to play all sound (eg from any App) through USB so I could listen to streaming audio in my car. I gather you must do this through bluetooth on Blackberry 10, but my car has no bluetooth....this is a major letdown.
    -Phone is heavy.
    -Keyboard spacebar is not wide enough. I am constantly hitting the "." key to the right of the spacebar.
    -Autocorrect can be annoying as it will correct short forms and slang which I don't want it to do. Like "ur" will auto correct. It doesn't seem to learn that I don't want certain things auto-corrected?
    -No haptic feedback on keyboard
    -Not all Android apps work, especially those needing direct hardware access like some camera apps or WIFI monitoring apps.
    -Performance can be sluggish when using Android apps
    -Phone is extremely touchy, very prone to pocket dialing and other intelligent operations while it's in your pocket if you forget to lock the screen. You have to really think about whether or not the Phone app is open before you put it in your pocket. If the Phone app is open and you forget to lock the screen something _will_ happen. It will dial someone or do something for sure.
    -When using it as a speaker phone (eg in the car) sound could be louder...
    -Screen goes off after 5 minutes (max setting). You can't just leave it on like you can an iPhone or iPad.
    -Having to emulate Android apps. While this is a Godsend it is also a curse. You are running apps under emulation so performance suffers, compatibility suffers, and access to Apps, while improved (eg Amazone App Store, Mobile1 Market), there is no direct access to Google Play store which means you often have to jump through hoops to get certain apps and not all apps are available or work.

Overall the experience has been pretty good, but I am not sure my next phone will be a Blackberry. I'm not really interested in the Passport with it's wide/square shape and physical keyboard. And I don't see any other large all-touch device from Blackberry on the horizon that is more powerful than the Z30.
    Last edited by DarrenHD; 09-08-14 at 09:36 AM.
    09-08-14 09:21 AM
    Tks. I also have a Z30, about one year now.

Predictive text and auto correct can be vastly improved. I agree and I add : please make BlackBerry's auto correct and predictive test be great, not just "good"

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 09:44 AM
    Also coming on 1 year and it feel this phone is still a powerhouse when it comes to doing anything! My phone is probably the center of my connected life, communication, media, home automation, you name it, my phone is involved in it!

The phone has never let me down! Recently I have been streaming video through miracast, while the audio plays through bluetooth headphones, love it!

The only draw back I am noticing is with the smart watches aka wearables that are coming out. Not all features are working properly, however there are usually apps to bridge the functionality gap.

This is the first time I have owned a smartphone for almost a year and not once have I even cared to upgrade or see what's out there, and I'm one of those guys that has to normally upgrade every 6 months just to have the latest and greatest! Actually I guess that's kind of a lie, I have on occasion thought about buying another z30 for when this one gives up on me lol

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 09:55 AM
    I agree about you on the "Phone app",.. don't leave it open.

Z10, *.3175, 3500 MaH Btry - Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 11:19 AM
    Also coming on 1 year and it feel this phone is still a powerhouse when it comes to doing anything! My phone is probably the center of my connected life, communication, media, home automation, you name it, my phone is involved in it!

The phone has never let me down! Recently I have been streaming video through miracast, while the audio plays through bluetooth headphones, love it!

The only draw back I am noticing is with the smart watches aka wearables that are coming out. Not all features are working properly, however there are usually apps to bridge the functionality gap.

This is the first time I have owned a smartphone for almost a year and not once have I even cared to upgrade or see what's out there, and I'm one of those guys that has to normally upgrade every 6 months just to have the latest and greatest! Actually I guess that's kind of a lie, I have on occasion thought about buying another z30 for when this one gives up on me lol

Posted via CB10
    Do you use a miracast dongle or something like that? If so what model??

Sorry if I'm off topic...

Posted via CB10 from my STA100-3 on 10.3.1154
    09-08-14 01:24 PM
    Modern TV's have Miracast in them. If not, get any dongle and return it if it doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    Morutimeru likes this.
    09-08-14 03:33 PM

Sorry if I'm off topic...

Posted via CB10 from my STA100-3 on 10.3.1154
    Netgear ptv3000

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 10:56 PM
    My family recently made a trip to the states, and ordered 3 Z30's during the 350 sale. Had them for about a week now, and loving them. Super fast, excellent battery life, great keyboard and once you tinker with them and get the amazon/google app stores they are godamn marvelous. On Wind's network ($30 unlimited data ftw) they work very well, although I wish I kept my old android to compare signal strength differences.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-14 11:28 PM
    Just got my Z30 2 weeks ago after having my Z10 for 16 months. Love them both! The biggest upgrades are the bigger screen, MUCH longer battery(5+ hours more), and amazing speakers!
    I still think that the Z10 has a better form factor, square sides make it feel like a beautiful slab of glass, Z30 is a little more rounded and looks a little more like a Samsung, however better build quality. Overall it is an amazing device that all of us have wanted to see from BlackBerry for years.
    Definitely interested to see what BlackBerry has planned for a full touch device for next year. I'm hoping for an upgrade for both, perhaps a 4.5 inch "Z20" and another 5+inch "Z50"! 13+mp camera, 2500 n 3000+mAh battery. Will have to wait and see how everything goes this fall/ winter. Busy time for BlackBerry right now.

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    09-08-14 11:39 PM
    We can only hope that BlackBerry keeps the spirit of the Z30 going with another all touch beast. I just feel like the new direction that the company is headed in with the focus being on "pro-sumers", and the new phones having keyboards, the replacement for the 30 may be on the back burner.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 08:48 AM
    Just one thing I noticed is sound does play via a usb. You just need to go into settings, then storage and access, then enable "USB mass storage." Granted audio features via bluetooth on BB10 is the best I've seen, but using a usb should be no problem.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 09:56 AM
    We can only hope that BlackBerry keeps the spirit of the Z30 going with another all touch beast. I just feel like the new direction that the company is headed in with the focus being on "pro-sumers", and the new phones having keyboards, the replacement for the 30 may be on the back burner.

Posted via CB10
    I agree with you. BlackBerry we love and hope.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 10:08 AM