This is bullsh1t. I don't believe they are discontinued. Z30 is the newest BlackBerry at this time, makes totally no sense.

And if you can't buy it at your local carrier, well, that was the same when the Z30 launched. Nothing changed. Carriers just doesn't really support BB10. So again, I smell bullsh1t.
    08-26-14 08:48 AM
    I don't think it's discontinued, just that BlackBerry built much less of them than they did the Z10/Q10. No sense making too many and incurring a billion dollars' worth of unsold inventory.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-26-14 10:01 AM
    I just bought an unlocked white Z30 from US Shop BlackBerry less than a week ago. It will be delivered today. Look under the business heading for stock of the Z30.
    This is the 2nd phone I have bought from them. I really like the lack of added on items put on by a carrier and up to date software notifications from BlackBerry.
    08-26-14 10:13 AM
    CDMA version of the Z30 is not available anywhere, so I hope it is demand outstripping supply. Hey, CrackBerry, how about checking with BlackBerry for the REAL story.

I love the Z30, it fulfills much of the broken promises of the PlayBook. It?s really a "phablet" if you will forgive that term. My wife wants one now, but they are nowhere!

Gimme my Z30! Verizon or unlocked CDMA!!

From my Z30...Awesome!
    Jtaylor1986 likes this.
    08-26-14 10:28 AM
    CDMA version of the Z30 is not available anywhere, so I hope it is demand outstripping supply. Hey, CrackBerry, how about checking with BlackBerry for the REAL story.

I love the Z30, it fulfills much of the broken promises of the PlayBook. It?s really a "phablet" if you will forgive that term. My wife wants one now, but they are nowhere!

Gimme my Z30! Verizon or unlocked CDMA!!

From my Z30...Awesome!
    Verizon's problem, since they have to whitelist every phone that works on their network (and they're reluctant about phones that they didn't sell to you). May improve for later device generations, since LTE allows us to evolve past CDMA and their restrictions.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 10:37 AM
    Since CB is usually so on top of things some inside info on all this would be appreciated?

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 11:11 AM
    Sounds unlikely given that it's newer than the z10 there has been no news about that unit being discontinued.

Also, the z30 is a 'better' phone in general.

Yes it's a BlackBerry. If you have something bad to say... speak to Easton!
    and it is a phone that has never been promoted. They run some ads for the others but not a single one for the Z30, go figure!
    08-26-14 11:19 AM
    CDMA version of the Z30 is not available anywhere, so I hope it is demand outstripping supply.
    I do not think so since this is a phone that was never promoted by anyone...I doubt it is selling in any meaningful number since they keep lowering the price.
    08-26-14 11:22 AM
    That timeline leaked a few days ago hints that the Passport is the Z30 replacement. I don't know why people don't realize this. No one is even discussing it I think.

Disclaimer: I have not been in the forums a lot lately.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    08-26-14 11:43 AM
    That timeline leaked a few days ago hints that the Passport is the Z30 replacement. I don't know why people don't realize this. No one is even discussing it I think.

Disclaimer: I have not been in the forums a lot lately.
    because it seems weird to only have physical keyboard phones after having both the Z10 & Z30 available. In this day & age of slab phones, do they really want to only offer the Z3 as their full-touch device?

-via CB10 w/ Q10
    08-26-14 12:05 PM
    Was going to upgrade to Z30 and went on Verizon website, couldn't find it and was told the Z30 "is no longer available". I asked if it was out of stock and would they be getting more inventory and was told no, it is "no longer available". It is also not available on Amazon or Best Buy sites (for Verizon subscribers). This really sucks.
    08-26-14 12:48 PM
    Try to track down some good-condition used ones on eBay or the CB market place. I'm sure more and more will start to popup as the Passport (and unfortunately, but realistically, the iPhone 6) get closer to reality.
    08-26-14 12:53 PM
    Verizon's problem, since they have to whitelist every phone that works on their network (and they're reluctant about phones that they didn't sell to you). May improve for later device generations, since LTE allows us to evolve past CDMA and their restrictions.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah they just extended plans for LTE only devices until 2016....

Still waiting on word there will be a CDMA version of the Passport.
    08-26-14 01:40 PM
    Since CB is usually so on top of things some inside info on all this would be appreciated?

Posted via CB10
    Verizon has the Z30 on backorder. That's about the only answer you'll get really. The whole 'discontinued' talk is nonsense though. People get so confused with 'discontinued', End of Life' and whatever other names get aligned with a device getting older.

Every device at some point sees a reduction in production and then it's up to the carriers to decide whether they wish to place more orders. A carrier may wish to 'discontinue' or 'End of Life' a device from their line but they're still contractually obligated to keep ordering more for warranty exchanges and such. They just halt *new* sales.

After that expires, then the manufacturer has the option to reduce production even further or stop producing them entirely which is when a device REALLY gets 'discontinued' because it's so old, there's no orders and it's onto the next batch of products. BlackBerry isn't even near that stage with the Z30.

Any discontinuation or end of life or the Z30 at this point is entirely carrier based and preparation for the next set of devices.
    08-26-14 03:09 PM
    The blackberry Z30 will be there till Q2 2015
    08-26-14 03:14 PM
    The blackberry Z30 will be there till Q2 2015
    Aren't we in Q2 2015 right now..... at least BlackBerry's Q2?

Most likely Verizon is just playing it safe and they removed the Z30 from their system until they can get some info on when it can be restocked. As their version is "special" and this is a year old device.... there could be issues between BlackBerry and Verizon on pricing and production sizes. It is more expensive for OEMs to deal with Verizon and their CDMA Network, but then how do you ignore the biggest carrier in the US - and the only one that is even selling the Z30.

I would imagine that the Passport is now in full production, and with BlackBerry's cutbacks I would think that other devices like the Z30 are taking a back seat for now.

Then again....
    08-26-14 04:00 PM
    I've been thinking about getting the Z30 the last little bit and calling around trying to find one everyone is telling me that they are being discontinued.

can anyone confirm ??
    Less than a week ago BlackBerry sent out emails advertising Z30 Limited Time Offers with Bell, Telus and Rogers.

They are still available, unlocked, on shopblackberry.ca and shopblackberry.com.

Where have you been looking?
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    08-26-14 07:30 PM
    I wrote up another long post about how manufacturing works, but I'll give you the short version here:

The Z30 was "in production" (as in, being physically manufactured) from approximately the end of August until October of 2013. It was manufactured by Jabil Circuit, a long-time manufacturing contractor for BB. It was definitely manufactured in much smaller numbers than the Z10, as it was known before production began that demand for BB10 devices was much lower than anticipated. Note that while an AT&T version of the Z30 was tested, it was never put into production, because AT&T canceled their (presumed) order for it.

So, from a manufacturing perspective, the Z30 was "discontinued" way back in October 2013, before it was actually even launched. But this type of thing is completely normal with manufacturing. BB bought a bunch of components, delivered them to Jabil Circuit, and Jabil turned them into complete phones and shipped them back to BB's storage warehouses. Then, as major distributors ordered the phones, the current software was loaded into them and they were packaged in batches to fulfill that order. Unsold stock remained in inventory, unpackaged, until another order was received, at which time they are boxed up using the latest revision of the packaging and inserts, and probably the latest software. The distributors (aka wholesalers) then fulfilled smaller orders to retailers out of their stock. Retailers then put them out for sale, and when they sold out their stock, they ordered more from their distributor. When the distributor started to run low, they would do a sales projection based on everything they knew about how the device sold and was likely to sell in the future, and would order (or not) accordingly.

So, this could mean that BB is sold out of the Z30, but it's more likely that the big distributer that Verizon buys phones from (yes, they don't buy directly from BB in most cases) is sold out of their inventory, and either hasn't re-ordered from BB yet or isn't planning to re-order. If the distributor declines to restock, then the retailers can either try to get inventory from another distributor, or they can discontinue carrying the product.

This same cycle happens to all cell phones (as well as just about any mass-market consumer product), though models with huge demand may be on production much longer, or go back into production after a period of non-production (where other devices are being built on that production line). But actual manufacturing always ends LONG before the device is "discontinued" by retailers. There are several layers between manufacturer and customer, and all of those layers will have inventory until it's been exhausted at all levels, or until you reach a level where they choose not to re-order.
    08-26-14 08:08 PM
    Just chatted online w/ another Vz rep, I asked if the Z30 out of stock was temporary or permanent - he responded simply "Permanent"

Never know how much the reps truly know but they obviously aren't being told "don't worry, more Z30's are coming"
    08-26-14 08:56 PM
    Just chatted online w/ another Vz rep, I asked if the Z30 out of stock was temporary or permanent - he responded simply "Permanent"

Never know how much the reps truly know but they obviously aren't being told "don't worry, more Z30's are coming"
    Seems suspect, or maybe they are holding some for enterprise orders given their recent "joint push" to get BBOS enterprise users onto BB10 and BES10:

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz and brosee like this.
    08-26-14 08:58 PM
    I've been thinking about getting the Z30 the last little bit and calling around trying to find one everyone is telling me that they are being discontinued.

can anyone confirm ??
    No.

It's not being discontinued by BlackBerry. If a particular carrier decide not to carry it, that's their issue - but the Z30 will continue throughout 2014.

Also, it's an amazing device!
    08-26-14 09:06 PM
    No.

It's not being discontinued by BlackBerry. If a particular carrier decide not to carry it, that's their issue - but the Z30 will continue throughout 2014.

Also, it's an amazing device!
    just makes it very hard for those who need to get one that's a CDMA ...
    08-26-14 09:14 PM
    I was told by Verizon rep on live chat last night that Verizon stop selling Z30 because of new BlackBerry phone is coming soon. It got me mad. My friend wanted Z30 but now he ordered Z10.

No make sense. Should discounted Z10 instead of Z30.

Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 09:23 PM
    M friend who is in accounting at BlackBerry let me know last month that Z10 and Q10 are going end of life and maybe the Z30 as well

Posted via CB10
    I don't get it. What am I as a Z10 owner suppose to upgrade to??

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 10:02 PM
    I think we just have to take a wait and see approach. The Verizon reps very clearly do not know what they are talking about. I spoke to two of them, one told me it was up to the manufacturer to send more units. The other said it will not be discontinued. Really have no idea at this point but all I can hope as a Verizon Z30 owner is that they will continue to support the phone software update wise.
    08-26-14 10:06 PM
119 1234 ...