10-03-13 09:30 PM
62 123
tools
    Perhaps BlackBerry could use the app situation to its advantage.

It seems everyone has an app for the stupidest stuff these days. Things that just don't need an app if there were a decent mobile site.

What do you think?would pushing for rich html 5 sites help or hurt?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:14 PM
    09-26-13 12:16 PM
    I'm sitting out on this one.
    09-26-13 12:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think it would hurt to have more rich HTML5 sites but I don't know if I'd want to be the one to campaign for it. Some apps are just their mobile sites in a wrapper and it can sometimes be more convenient to just use the app despite being able to do the same functions from a mobile site. Wells Fargo's iPhone app is a good example of this in that it is basically the same regardless of whether you use the application or the mobile site.
    09-26-13 12:20 PM
    I lol'd
    imz and badiyee like this.
    09-26-13 12:22 PM
    All things being equal, no one "needs" an app. We don't need smartphones, or cars, or microwaves.

If need be, used sure all of us could book it on foot or via stallion.

Things are rarely equal though, trekking causes calluses and horse dung is tough to clean.

I'll take the car.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 09-30-13 at 06:55 AM.
    oscarcanada and raysgrumpy like this.
    09-26-13 12:23 PM
    "Don't bog your phone down with apps. Choose BlackBerry 10."

Why hadn't anyone thought of that before?
    Last edited by birdman_38; 09-26-13 at 12:36 PM.
    09-26-13 12:25 PM
    "Don't bog your phone down with apps. Choose BlackBerry 10."

Why hadn't anyone thought of that before?
    BB10: app-less precision in an appified world.
    09-26-13 12:30 PM
    How many more times shall the community have this topic up for discussion?
    southlander likes this.
    09-26-13 12:30 PM
    It would be nice if companies like Netflix stopped blocking bb10 browser. Not sure what they gain out of this.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:32 PM
    It would be nice if companies like Netflix stopped blocking bb10 browser. Not sure what they gain out of this.

Posted via CB10
    They don't block it specifically. Plus, BB10 users are boycotting Netflix anyway.
    shahyaz, MarsupilamiX and kbz1960 like this.
    09-26-13 12:36 PM
    They don't block it specifically. Plus, BB10 users are boycotting Netflix anyway.
    WE ARE???? Aw, crap! Better send my DVDs back!
    Thachoc1 and rayz336 like this.
    09-26-13 12:38 PM
    I've always wondered about this when people complain that there is no app for their bank on BB10. Personally, I don't want 5 more icons to look at every time I want to open an app. I would rather go to the bank's website. That's just me tho...
    09-26-13 12:39 PM
    Netflix works on my Z just fine. LOL, sigh. I found no banking app for my bank, lo and behold I went to the mobile site and its just as snazzy as the old app. Meh, I read the entire thread http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...e-apps-853698/, and it did touch a nerve. It pains me to see the Google Play Store and Apple Store logos on everything, it would be nice to get some support for BlackBerry. Overall I just don't think the Companies care anymore. At the end of the day, the people that "NEED" an app for that far outweigh those of us that don't.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 09-26-13 at 10:43 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-26-13 01:03 PM
    Perhaps BlackBerry could use the app situation to its advantage.

It seems everyone has an app for the stupidest stuff these days. Things that just don't need an app if there were a decent mobile site.

Posted via CB10
    Probably one of the truest threads out there right now. I have been wondering this for a long time. My Dad has a ridiculous number of apps on his iphone and by the time he remembers where a particular app is stored (and that he has it) I've already got the result on my Q and emailed/sent to him.
    09-26-13 01:39 PM
    Probably one of the truest threads out there right now. I have been wondering this for a long time. My Dad has a ridiculous number of apps on his iphone and by the time he remembers where a particular app is stored (and that he has it) I've already got the result on my Q and emailed/sent to him.
    But you both used apps. Are you saying that he had too many to choose from?

How is that a drawback?

I see some folks complaining that it's hard finding apps on the device, which seems weird to me.
    09-26-13 01:47 PM
    If your dad organizes his apps, he won't use the time in looking for them.

Posted via Z10
    09-26-13 02:19 PM
    But you both used apps. Are you saying that he had too many to choose from?

How is that a drawback?

I see some folks complaining that it's hard finding apps on the device, which seems weird to me.
    I normally just use the Web browser. Say to find out the score of a specific hockey game for example. I find it much easier than having to navigate to the location of "xxx" sports app opening it. Yes I am still using an app but I use the same app for multiple things rather than having multiple apps. Saves time, don't have to learn to navigate each app and keeps my phone clutter free.

Posted via CB10 on the lovely Q10!
    09-26-13 03:08 PM
    Personally speaking, I prefer to bookmark a site, instead of using an app. Hmm, actually, looking through my apps just now, the only 'web' app I use is the CB app. lol

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    Warcony likes this.
    09-26-13 04:58 PM
    Then why comment on it..?
    Any who, that could be a good idea OP.
    People can get a good laugh, and on top of that laugh, then realize hey they're right!

Posted via that z10!
    09-26-13 09:51 PM
    I normally just use the Web browser. Say to find out the score of a specific hockey game for example. I find it much easier than having to navigate to the location of "xxx" sports app opening it. Yes I am still using an app but I use the same app for multiple things rather than having multiple apps. Saves time, don't have to learn to navigate each app and keeps my phone clutter free.

Posted via CB10 on the lovely Q10!
    Personally speaking, I prefer to bookmark a site, instead of using an app. Hmm, actually, looking through my apps just now, the only 'web' app I use is the CB app. lol

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    Two "rules" govern my app usage; first, it has to be useful. The Wikipedia Android app really doesn't give me any benefit over the mobile web, and I use it so sparingly that I just use the bookmark.

The other rule is that I have to use an app often enough for it to earn a spot on my device. If I don't use an app at least a few times a week, it's probably a waste. That isn't a hard, fast rule. I have a backup app that works automatically every week.
    I have a few banks. One has mobile check deposit. For this, I use an app. When not in use, it's Titanium Backed-up to SD card. I restore it during those times I get a physical check. This bank is literally things of miles away.

The others I use the web locations.

So, if the app makes life easier, I use it.
    SharonRD and badiyee like this.
    09-26-13 09:52 PM
    Netflix works on my Z just fine. LOL, sigh. I found no banking app for my bank, lo and behold I went to the mobile site and its just as snazzy as the old app. Meh, I ready the entire thread http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...e-apps-853698/, and it did touch a nerve. It pains me to see the Google Play Store and Apple Store logos on everything, it would be nice to get some support for BlackBerry. Overall I just don't think the Companies care anymore. At the end of the day, the people that "NEED" an app for that far outweight those of us that don't.
    And that my friend, is the ugly truth!

Posted via that z10!
    09-26-13 09:53 PM
    How many more times shall the community have this topic up for discussion?
    I don't recall ever seeing this discussion before.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:39 PM
    I am not sure there is a good way to market this, but it is a real issue that could be addressed.

Here is a thought, BlackBerry should write their browser for all platforms. That way web apps could be tested on the same browser on all four OSes.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 10:44 PM
    I am not sure there is a good way to market this, but it is a real issue that could be addressed.

Here is a thought, BlackBerry should write their browser for all platforms. That way web apps could be tested on the same browser on all four OSes.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't call it a crazy idea. In fact, I like the idea of BBRY going cross-platform with some of its proprietary apps.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-26-13 10:47 PM
62 123