Browser is not the solution, what if you are a biologist or engineer and you need to verify a species identification or view a CAD drawing... you could do it online.... as long as you are not somewhere with bad cell service or maybe your from canada and in the states and your cell phone doesn't have data in the states
    10-02-13 08:24 PM
    I never intended to inply that apps were not needed. I only am only saying that many apps do nothing more than the mobile web. For some things, an app is needed, but for many, many others, a mobile site is fine.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 09:12 AM
    I find some mobile sites are better than their apps. I have 6 news sites bookmarked to screen and 2 news apps. I use the CNN mobile and BBC mobile rather than their apps. So for me it's a matter of which you find more usable their mobile or app . I've talked to several people and found some don't even think to check to see if their is a website for what they want, they just check for an app. One woman I talked to was absolutely positive that if she bookmarked a site to her screen it would stay connected and use data and slow her phone down.

Posted via Z10
    10-03-13 11:12 AM
    One for me (on Android) is Wikipedia. The mobile website is just as clean as the app. I am a minimalist when it comes to apps, so, if I don't use an app often, and the mobile site is just as functional, I just keep a mobile bookmark.

However, there is no getting away from the fact that in a lot of cases, apps provide a much better, inter-connected experience.

Take the "share" functionality, for instance. It's a similar concept on all the platforms. You can, say, share a picture to any app that has the permission. social networks, email, Dropbox... even Pocket. Such cohesion is made possible by apps.

I have another app that automates my phone. When I leave the house, it logs my wifi off, and toggles data. When I tap navigation, it toggles GPS and Google Now. Near a grocery or hardware store? It pops up my shopping list and specials in nearby stores. Auto alarms, full cache dumps, back-ups. It makes my smartphone smarter. This is one app I would really hate to lose.

In a lot of cases, apps just make life easier. They are specially designed by corporations that dearly want to interact with customers, and this is why, in a lot of cases, they provide a better experience than basic mobile websites.
    10-03-13 11:34 AM
    I think we need to get somewhere near where we are with the desktop. There are still plenty of desktop apps people use, but we don't need an app for every single website.

To turn it around, why use a browser?
    If there is an app for everything?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 07:19 PM
    Probably one of the truest threads out there right now. I have been wondering this for a long time. My Dad has a ridiculous number of apps on his iphone and by the time he remembers where a particular app is stored (and that he has it) I've already got the result on my Q and emailed/sent to him.
    He can search for the app if he has that much trouble finding it. It's really, really easy.

I love my apps. Sure there are times when I can visit a website instead of launching an app, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer the app.
    10-03-13 08:00 PM
    Don't need my phone to push its display to a larger screen. Need it to be useful and fully-functional when I'm on the go.
    Maybe not, but options are like apps the more the better, kinda foolish to deny something because of hate for a company.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 08:05 PM
    LOL.

This is why I smile at folks complaining about Thor. There are people on CB that, had they been running BBRY, would trademark "just use the browser."

I'm telling you... the state of the company could have been much worse.
    Kinda like hold your phone differently while making a call.......

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 08:07 PM
    He can search for the app if he has that much trouble finding it. It's really, really easy.

I love my apps. Sure there are times when I can visit a website instead of launching an app, but 9 times out of 10 I prefer the app.
    Most people do... including those posting "use the browser" with the CB10 app LOL.
    ajst222 and solitude1984 like this.
    10-03-13 08:55 PM
    Most people do... including those posting "use the browser" with the CB10 app LOL.
    Post of the day right here!

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 09:25 PM
    You know what would really be great? Being able to open multiple instances of Browser (even if it actually isn't multiple instances, but appears to be). That way, if you have a website bookmarked on your home screen, opening that bookmark opens another instance of Browser and it becomes just like another "app".

On my PC. I'll frequently have six or seven windows of Internet Explorer open, with each window having 5-10 tabs, and I might have four Word documents open at once. If BB10 was able to do that it might solve a lot of the problems of the OS.

Finally, on keyboard BB10 phones, every action should have a corresponding keyboard shortcut. It would be so much nicer to press N to open a new tab, W to close the current one, K to duplicate it, and Z/X to switch tabs. The reason people prefer applications to the browser is that it's just easier.

Edit: And Q to open the tabs list. Notice that most of these shortcuts match their desktop counterparts.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    Last edited by chaz95; 10-04-13 at 12:59 AM.
    10-03-13 09:26 PM
    Better to have more apps than necessary than bugger all to begin with.
    10-03-13 09:30 PM
62 123