Here is a thought, BlackBerry should write their browser for all platforms. That way web apps could be tested on the same browser on all four OSes.
    I like that idea. Finally some originality! Might take a lot of programming resources to optimize the browser for the other operating systems though.
    09-26-13 10:49 PM
    Firefox and Ubuntu both plan to rely on HTML5 apps for their mobile OSes, so BB would have some company if they went this route. It does sound pretty nice, but "write once, run anywhere" has been promised so many times and never been delivered in a satisfactory way.
    Geeoff likes this.
    09-26-13 10:52 PM
    Firefox and Ubuntu both plan to rely on HTML5 apps for their mobile OSes, so BB would have some company if they went this route. It does sound pretty nice, but "write once, run anywhere" has been promised so many times and never been delivered in a satisfactory way.
    Fair point. Spot on.
    09-26-13 10:56 PM
    "Don't bog your phone down with apps. Choose BlackBerry 10."

Why hadn't anyone thought of that before?
    LO f*****g L!

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 09:13 PM
    CASCADES.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-27-13 09:16 PM

I don't know how smart it would be to try to convince consumers that they don't need what they're clearly saying they want. They're voting with their wallets for platforms that offer far more apps.

And that slogan reinforces the negative perception that BlackBerry doesn't have ANY apps.

Keith H. Posted using CB10.
    09-28-13 12:23 AM
    I don't know how smart it would be to try to convince consumers that they don't need what they're clearly saying they want. They're voting with their wallets for platforms that offer far more apps.

And that slogan reinforces the negative perception that BlackBerry doesn't have ANY apps.

He was being sarcastic.
    09-28-13 09:33 AM
    Write once run everywhere? That was called Java...

Posted via CB10
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-28-13 01:28 PM
    Idk about you guys, but I have way too many apps on my Q. I don't even use them consistently! Snapchat is cool though. Sideloading ftw.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 02:35 PM

I think you are right. And that is why I just don't see how they could pull it off.

They needs apps for the things people need an app for. But they need a great browser for times when it is not needed. It would be very difficult not to backfire that ad campaign.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:05 PM
    Oh God...not this again. The browser IS NOT a solution to the app problem. It's an excuse.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:06 PM

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    09-29-13 01:43 AM
    Oh God...not this again. The browser IS NOT a solution to the app problem. It's an excuse.

Posted via CB10
    I know right. I HATE having to use my browser to do simple tasks on my PC. It's Soooooo annoying. Open browser, type in page(or open bookmark) read information.

Someone needs to start developing apps for PC the same as smartphones, dumbed down webpages packaged with a splash screen.

Can you imagine, a Facebook or Twitter app for your desktop. Even instagram, no more having to open that stupid browser.

Sent from the future on my QNX powered BlackBerry Z10
    09-30-13 03:23 PM
    I know right. I HATE having to use my browser to do simple tasks on my PC. It's Soooooo annoying. Open browser, type in page(or open bookmark) read information.

Someone needs to start developing apps for PC the same as smartphones, dumbed down webpages packaged with a splash screen.

Can you imagine, a Facebook or Twitter app for your desktop. Even instagram, no more having to open that stupid browser.

Sent from the future on my QNX powered BlackBerry Z10
    Except we're not talking about a PC. We're talking about a smartphone. The browser is generally more inconvenient on a smartphone because of the lack of screen real estate and mobile sites are generally crippled. That's where apps come in. They are designed for the smaller screens and a more full feature set.

BTW, Windows 8 is bringing apps into the desktop world, so yes, I can imagine. Why use the generic browser version of something when you can have an app customized and optimized for your device?

As I said...having to say "just use the browser, it's better" is an excuse for the lack of apps. If we had the apps then people would all be raving about the apps we had and not the browser.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 06:16 PM
    Except we're not talking about a PC. We're talking about a smartphone. The browser is generally more inconvenient on a smartphone because of the lack of screen real estate and mobile sites are generally crippled. That's where apps come in. They are designed for the smaller screens and a more full feature set.

BTW, Windows 8 is bringing apps into the desktop world, so yes, I can imagine. Why use the generic browser version of something when you can have an app customized and optimized for your device?

As I said...having to say "just use the browser, it's better" is an excuse for the lack of apps. If we had the apps then people would all be raving about the apps we had and not the browser.

Posted via CB10
    Ahh but a browser powerful enough to view full web pages and has a way to push the display out to a large screen and we have a game changer. Why does it have to be limited and run on apps? Powerful browser with no limits like flash or no flash for older pages is just lazy and foolish nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    09-30-13 06:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. I'm surprised no one said "create a web page shortcut"(as if that's the same).

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    ajst222 likes this.
    09-30-13 06:48 PM
    Ahh but a browser powerful enough to view full web pages and has a way to push the display out to a large screen and we have a game changer. Why does it have to be limited and run on apps? Powerful browser with no limits like flash or no flash for older pages is just lazy and foolish nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    While the browser is powerful, it isn't optimized for the device like apps. But the main thing is: while some people like to use the browser, the vast majority of people use apps.

Apps play a big part in our daily lives. To tell people that apps are stupid and that the browser is better is insane. It's just an excuse for the lack of apps. People use apps. That's the main point. To tell them otherwise is ignorant.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 06:49 PM
    Exactly. I'm surprised no one said "create a web page shortcut"(as if that's the same).

LOL.

This is why I smile at folks complaining about Thor. There are people on CB that, had they been running BBRY, would trademark "just use the browser."

I'm telling you... the state of the company could have been much worse.
    ajst222 and badiyee like this.
    09-30-13 06:53 PM
    LOL.

This is why I smile at folks complaining about Thor. There are people on CB that, had they been running BBRY, would trademark "just use the browser."

I'm telling you... the state of the company could have been much worse.
    I scratch my medulla a lot thanks to CB. The z10 has a powerful browser, however I prefer apps.

09-30-13 06:56 PM
    I scratch my medulla a lot thanks to CB. The z10 has a powerful browser, however I prefer apps.

You and most people

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 07:01 PM
    Honestly... a good thing blackberry should implement is html 5 games from Facebook into the Facebook app. No app or phone does that yet.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 07:06 PM
    Honestly... a good thing blackberry should implement is html 5 games from Facebook into the Facebook app. No app or phone does that yet.

Posted via CB10
    If that could be done, that would be amazing

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 07:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Don't need my phone to push its display to a larger screen. Need it to be useful and fully-functional when I'm on the go.
    ajst222 likes this.
    09-30-13 07:08 PM
    All things being equal, no one "needs" an app. We don't need smartphones, or cars, or microwaves.

If need be, used sure all of us could book it on foot or via stallion.

Things are rarely equal though, trekking causes calluses and horse dung is tough to clean.

I'll take the car.
    Water...we NEED water...

Trusted Member Genius
    10-02-13 05:09 AM
    After having the N9, mobile sites really do cover a lot.
    That said, sometimes apps are more useful and fluid.
    10-02-13 11:28 AM
62 123