Hello,

First of all, let me say that this forum helped me choosing a Z30 (which I am loving already). I bought a Z30 just a couple of hours ago (from a Blackberry Retailer based in India. Cost me Rs 40,000 i.e $646 approx). If not already well known,unlike the US/European markets where devices are available via carriers, we buy mostly unlocked phones in India. I am a little agitated now & sincere honest apologies if I am little incoherent here & there.

The said retailer/ Blackberry outlet had only one Z30 in stock (STA 100-2) and I had no second thoughts getting it then & there. I made the mistake of not checking the device before billing. When he opened the sealed box,, the screen protector film had a few scratches on it. When I questioned about it, he shrugged it as a non-issue. The battery door on the inside also had a few small scrathes on it. This got me worried and he said that it was normal with Z30. Repeated attempts to get an explanation for a brand new device to sport scratches inside the battery door were shrugged off with the same "This is very common explanation". Because Z30 wasn't readily available in my city in most Mobile retail outlets, I decided to get the device anyway.Not to mention that I was going gaga over it. The retailer then proceeded to install 10.2.1.1259 (I didn't pay a lot of attention. But it was via command prompt. I am guessing it's a leak) eventhough I told him that I'd be happy to do it myself. He couldn't install it on the first attempt and took close to 1.5 hours to finally install it. (On second thought, i should have politely refused it)

I played around with my Z30 a bit (Couldn't install my SIM at the retail outlet as it was a Mini-SIM and his attempt to cut it to a Micro-SIM was a fiasco.I came home & cut it myself & have successfully installed my eons-old Mini SIM) and installed a screen protector & got a Capdase case for it.

I realized that there wasn't an option to Register my new device at the Blackberry website and was cross-checking if the IMEI number in the bill and the device was the same which is when the following menu caught my eye ( Sorry if this is naive. This is my first Blackberry device and I am migrating away from Android). Boot Time under,

Settings-> About->Hardware.

Curiously, mine reads 22 Nov 2013 12:40:01 AM GMT+05:30. Doesn't boot time refer to the time when the device was first booted? If so, Shouldn't mine read 15 Feb 2013 08:40:01 PM GMT+05:30 (approximate time when it was first booted up). I am already panicking and everything seems to add up now. First the scratches in the screen protector film, rear side of the battery cover & now the Boot Time.

Query Should I go back & return the device citing the very old Boot ? My Z30's box reads Sept 2013 as the import date.

Here is the screen grab showing the Boot Time

Wrong/Old Boot Time in New Z30 bought from India-img_20140216_024809.png

and the General Info

Wrong/Old Boot Time in New Z30 bought from India-img_20140216_024751.png

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
    Santhosh K
    02-15-14 04:06 PM
    Return that ****!!! Dont let that store rep bully you into buying a defect product!! Say you refuse to use a phone thats damaged and has a boot time from last year!!!! Dont accept anything less than an apology and a brand spanking new Z30

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    santhoshknn likes this.
    02-15-14 05:57 PM
    Thanks for the response. The device is pristine except for the scratch in the underside of the battery door. I could get used to it except for the suspicion that this was a refursbished/seal-broken device. I just did a Software update to 10.2.1.537 via Blackberry link and my Boot Time shows 16 Feb 2014 05:47:47 GMT+05:30. I am wondering if the Old boot time was from the leak that was installed by the retailer (10.2.1.1259). I would never know what the boot time was prior to him installing the leak.

I would give them a call come Monday and will update this thread.

Cheers
    Santhosh K
    02-15-14 06:51 PM
    Why on earth didn't they give you a proper sim card. For the money you spent they could throw in a sim. Seriously they cut it to fit for you. What a joke.

Was this guy selling from a donkey pulled cart at the market?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 07:50 AM
    I have a decade-old prepaid sim card and didn't get a micro-sim from my carrier before I got the Z30. The store rep was just trying to help. In hindsight, I should have gone down to the carrier's outlet to get a new sim card.

As an update to the thread, I updated my device to 10.2.1.537 and the Boot time now shows this

Wrong/Old Boot Time in New Z30 bought from India-photolab_20140217_233618.jpg

I've checked with the store rep and he assured me that this is a brand new device. I've decided to stick with the device which is working great

Posted via CB10
    Gatmyer likes this.
    02-17-14 12:09 PM
    Well glad I'm glad you got it sorted and the O/S up to date. You are going to love the Z30!
    02-17-14 12:13 PM
    Thanks. I already am in love with the device. Coming from Android, I find it one of the best mobile operating systems around. Intuitive gestures, supreme battery life, excellent display. I didn't sleep the night I bought it ( Android or the iPad didn't excite me this much). It was a tad bit heavy to hold the device on the first day but, no more shoulder pain after day two. I could even install my android app after changing the SDK to 4.3. To me, that's best of both worlds. Wondering why more people aren't switching to BB 10. If only, BlackBerry would bring down the price just a bit & spend a bit of money on cool TV ads (rather than paying Alicia Keys, just saying) , I don't see any reason why people wouldn't take a liking to BB 10. Until then, I take it as a personal endeavour to spread the message. Thanks all. Thanks CrackBerry.

Cheers
    Santhosh K
    02-18-14 08:59 AM
    Firstly, Im glad you got things sorted and that you have a clear head.

but i want to know what you meant by saying "after changing the SDK to 4.3"
    03-02-14 11:48 PM
    I meant the target sdk to 4.3. But it wasn't necessary as I later found out. My eclipse was complaining about the target android version. My app targets gingerbread and it runs fine on my Z30. Apologise if the post led to confusion

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 06:50 AM