No discussion needed, NO! BB10 or they could have just sold the company and exited mobile all together.
    Yeah, that's what's still going to happen.
    11-30-13 11:55 PM
    With 10.2.1.XXXX we are half way there. BBOS10 feels like a much more intuitive UI than kitkat, but both are pretty nice. I would prefer a perfect android emulator that would run google play services and allow us to use their apps but continue on with the more communications and messaging optimized platform. It amazes me that most users outside the Crackberry garden don't get that BBRY is still superior for messaging and communications.

If you create or make things happen BBRY still rules, if you consume and just ingest content both iOS and Android are better solutions.
    Very astute!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 02:19 AM
    No. BB10 is the closest you can get to Android without being crushed under huge fragmentation and viruses. I couldn't care that much for apps, and the OS on BlackBerry is much smoother and easy to use than anything else. I've used a HTC One which is credited for being an extremely good phone, but even that lagged and stuttered on basic apps like the browser. Selling phones running Android would make BlackBerry another one of many Android vendors, meaning all the work for the OS would be for nothing. And besides, most Android phones are awfully designed and mass produced from cheap plastic...yuck! I'd rather keep security and ease of use.
    12-01-13 05:33 AM
    I'd rather have my Android Apps running in a Sandbox... Seeing as the Android OS needs a Anti-Virus... Rather be safe than sorry!
    Lol

I've had android phones alongside BlackBerry since the Nexus One. I now have a Z10 and a Nexus 5.

I once downloaded an anti virus app, kept it for a few months. It never found a thing so I deleted it. I've never had any issues. This virus stuff is overblown.

Some won't like this but perhaps BlackBerry and Jolla will be forever described as.... part time androids. That description doesn't bother me, it's kinda true.

Yeah, I'm getting a Jolla phone too!

Instead of forever fighting over which is best I enjoy them all! Each have their good and bad points.

Posted via CB10
    Donvald likes this.
    12-01-13 05:44 AM
    Selfishly, I prefer a separate OS.
    Well that doesn't exist ANYWHERE. You're asking a lot here. BB10 is the closest to that. QNX is awesome and I wouldn't trade it for Android. Yes, Android is smoother than it was, but don't kid yourself. It's no iOS7, and it's definitely no BB10

Posted with my Q10!
    12-01-13 09:02 AM
    BlackBerry 10 is being overrun with the Android app experience so we're almost there already.

I would like to see BlackBerry release one Android touchscreen device with enhanced security features. If you can't beat an OS that commands 81% of the marketplace, join 'em!
    It sounds good in theory, but if you put just a little thought behind that you'll see that BlackBerry made the right decision. Look at HTC. Look at Sony. Look at LG. Even Samsung is trying to get away with Tizen

Posted with my Q10!
    laketrout73 and SDTRMG like this.
    12-01-13 09:04 AM
    It sounds good in theory, but if you put just a little thought behind that you'll see that BlackBerry made the right decision. Look at HTC. Look at Sony. Look at LG. Even Samsung is trying to get away with Tizen
    Samsung's competitors haven't found widespread success because they can't compete with a $14 billion marketing budget.

If BlackBerry could carve a niche in the Android market with a �hook" (best in class security) and sell to their core market they'd have a chance at success.
    12-01-13 09:30 AM
    Samsung's competitors haven't found widespread success because they can't compete with a $14 billion marketing budget.

If BlackBerry could carve a niche in the Android market with a �hook" (best in class security) and sell to their core market they'd have a chance at success.
    Every time I see a commercial for an Android device, I wish BlackBerry would do one. Just one. You can't miss one of their commercials and now I know why....$14B!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 10:56 AM

I dont buy that, BB10 has been out for 10 months now and its not the top of the market now so lets abandon QNX, people dont even know about BB10, much less have ever used it. BlackBerry has to stick it out and let their OS gain some traction, they also need to start helping instead of hurting their cause. The steps BB10 has made sincr 10.0 are remarkable with the exception of the marketing to the masses, I thought it couldnt get any worse after the super bowl ad, I was wrong.

If you bail to android they only thing you are doing is entering into a much more competitive market with other manufactuers, everybody and there brother makes and android phone, and BlackBerry will still have the stigma of "old technology" when people see the name. Imagine the competitive advantage BlackBerry holds if their OS gains traction and becomes something people begin to appriciate for what it is. At that point BlackBerry has an apple-like stanglehold on consumers with an exception, options on the phone you buy other than just different colors.

BB10 needs time, and exposure.... and it will be a golden opportunity

Posted via CB10
    Kimberella and SDTRMG like this.
    12-01-13 11:00 AM
    I dont buy that, BB10 has been out for 10 months now and its not the top of the market now so lets abandon QNX, people dont even know about BB10, much less have ever used it. BlackBerry has to stick it out and let their OS gain some traction, they also need to start helping instead of hurting their cause. The steps BB10 has made sincr 10.0 are remarkable with the exception of the marketing to the masses, I thought it couldnt get any worse after the super bowl ad, I was wrong.

If you bail to android they only thing you are doing is entering into a much more competitive market with other manufactuers, everybody and there brother makes and android phone, and BlackBerry will still have the stigma of "old technology" when people see the name. Imagine the competitive advantage BlackBerry holds if their OS gains traction and becomes something people begin to appriciate for what it is. At that point BlackBerry has an apple-like stanglehold on consumers with an exception, options on the phone you buy other than just different colors.

Posted via CB10
    **Applause**

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:03 AM
    That was his reason for not buying a z30. "If I wanted android, I'd buy a Samsung". Couldn't convince him bb10 was different.
    Lol with friends you can be plain. I generally laugh and tell them they are stupid. Get what you want but at least be informed about it.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 11:36 AM
    I dont buy that, BB10 has been out for 10 months now and its not the top of the market now so lets abandon QNX, people dont even know about BB10
    Never said they should abandon QNX or BlackBerry 10.
    12-01-13 12:11 PM
    No because it would be much more difficult to get and keep an Android device FIPS approved compared to BB10. The Neutrino micro kernel and the Crypto kernel are approved for Bb10 and as long as they don't change, then the BB10 running above Neutrino itself can be modified heavily and the device is still approved. Android being monolithic has to have every version retested. Proof of this can be seen in the FIPS approval docs and how broad the BlackBerry approvals are compared to how narrow the Android and iOS approvals are.

Now with the Android runtime in 10.2.1 they will be able to run most Android apps fairly seamlessly while still maintaining the security certs of BB10. I think BlackBerry looked at the pains they had with getting every BBOS FIPS approved and device approved too and looked at Android and saw it would be the same PITA process and looked for better options and found one in the way they engineered BB10 with QNX.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 12:41 PM
    It would be nice if they could bring the bb10 ui to android. All the apps and the same great experience!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 05:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    I take it you didn't read the market share numbers that were published yesterday. BB10 has had plenty of "exposure" and still it has been the last nail in the coffin for Blackberry. In the mobile market, there are no miracles. The only thing that could get BB10 into the hands of the customers would be if BB did a 99$ fire sale for the Z10 (much like HP did with the touchpad, temporarily catapulting it into relevance), but that would kill the company.
    12-03-13 12:05 AM
    Wouldn't it be better of Blackberry used Android?

No.
    12-03-13 12:24 AM
    I take it you didn't read the market share numbers that were published yesterday. BB10 has had plenty of "exposure" and still it has been the last nail in the coffin for Blackberry. In the mobile market, there are no miracles. The only thing that could get BB10 into the hands of the customers would be if BB did a 99$ fire sale for the Z10 (much like HP did with the touchpad, temporarily catapulting it into relevance), but that would kill the company.
    I disagree that there has been enough exposure, I say this because every person i have seen pick up a BB10 and given it an honest trial period (at least a week) has fallen in love with the OS. BlackBerry10 has been out for 10 months, in the US contracts run 2 years, so even if I convinced my buddy that he wanted one the first month after I tried it out, he could still have over a year before he is eligible to upgrade. This is a cumulative effect, once my buddy buys one next year, and convinces his buddy, there is another few months to a year before the friend can get one and so on...

I would be very curious to see what Androids market share was 10 months after the initial launch. Every OS deserves two years to make its way to the masses, especially in todays competitive smartphone market. I would guess that 90% of Americans have no idea that BlackBerry has changed completely from OS7, and thats not an exaggeration, even young, tech savvy people have no clue in many cases. The only hope BB10 has at this point is to get the devices in peoples hands whatever it takes, firesales, promotions, free maple syrup, candadian bacon samples, whatever they keep on hand up there.... IMO these phones will sell themselves once they do that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by twbtr; 12-03-13 at 09:54 AM.
    BBSuperAbuser likes this.
    12-03-13 08:00 AM
    I disagree that there has been enough exposure, I say this because every person i have seen pick up a BB10 and given it an honest trial period (at least a week) has fallen in love with the OS. BlackBerry10 has been out for 10 months, in the US contracts run 2 years, so even if I convinced my buddy that he wanted one the first month after I tried it out, he could still have over a year before he is eligible to upgrade.

I would be very curious to see what Androids market share was 10 months after the initial launch. Every OS deserves two years to make its way to the masses, especially in todays competitive smartphone market. I would guess that 90% of Americans have no idea that BlackBerry has changed completely from OS7, and thats not an exaggeration, even young, tech savvy people have no clue in many cases. The only hope BB10 has at this point is to get the devices in peoples hands whatever it takes, firesales, promotions, free maple syrup, candadian bacon samples, whatever they keep on hand up there.... IMO these phones will sell themselves once they do that.

Posted via CB10
    This. I was asked if I had an iPhone and said no. My cousin was then asked the same question and he had an iPhone. He was then asked to go to a website to watch a video because it "wouldn't work on BB." I had that video playing on my Q before my cousin even found the site. The old stereotypes are still strong in America

The lady that asked us to play the video was shocked.

Posted with my Q10!
    BBSuperAbuser likes this.
    12-03-13 09:15 AM
    Yeah, that's what's still going to happen.
    Citations, links or docs. Don't come into my house making bull**** claims without proof.
    12-03-13 09:24 AM
    Dude, do you even read what you write before hitting the post button? BlackBerry has done just that (to a certain extent). Last nail in the coffin? Have you even seen the billion dollar investment news? Are you just ignorant of the fact that BlackBerry is no longer for sale? You sure are grasping at straws...
    twbtr likes this.
    12-03-13 09:42 AM
    Dude, do you even read what you write before hitting the post button? BlackBerry has done just that (to a certain extent). Last nail in the coffin? Have you even seen the billion dollar investment news? Are you just ignorant of the fact that BlackBerry is no longer for sale? You sure are grasping at straws...
    Meh I wouldn't worry about him. He's just one of those people that only read the bad news. Trying to spin any good peice of news to bad. The media can be brainwashing...

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 10:47 AM

huh? Yeah, company is doing great, sales figures are up, market share is now above 1% worldwide. Dude, dream on. It's Palm all over again, except that Palm had less cash. I'm not sure who was insane enough to give Blackberry more cash to burn. We all know how this is going to end. I like Blackberry a lot and have been thinking about giving it another go - that's why I'm still hanging around here. But unless the z30 is sold at a bargain price, I think giving Blackberry Even 550 bucks is too risky.
    Last edited by zipro; 12-15-13 at 02:18 AM.
    12-14-13 11:38 PM
    don't think that would work out so great for blackberry if ever. Blackberry works for its hardware and os. For the sake of argument if it BlackBerry will go android. I'm switching back to iOS.

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    12-15-13 05:48 AM
    huh? Yeah, company is doing great, sales figures are up, market share is now above 1% worldwide. Dude, dream on. It's Palm all over again, except that Palm had less cash. I'm not sure who was insane enough to give Blackberry more cash to burn. We all know how this is going to end. I like Blackberry a lot and have been thinking about giving it another go - that's why I'm still hanging around here. But unless the z30 is sold at a bargain price, I think giving Blackberry Even 550 bucks is too risky.
    really?. BlackBerry will still be around 5 years from now even if it's not in the consumers business. They are the leader in mobile security, MDM, and Infotainment embedded systems QNX. There is no real BES10 security without a BlackBerry headset.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 12-15-13 at 04:37 PM.
    12-15-13 12:03 PM
    The z10 was launched with 10.0. This was a terrible mistake. It was buggy, lacked a lot of functionality, the battery life was horrific and the phone kept restarting itself several times a day... by the time they released 10.1, the damage was done.

Now BlackBerry needs to relaunch the platform. They need to make the z30 available on at least two more U.S. Carriers and they need to spend on advertising and pay incentives to the sales people at the carriers store. At least have a competition per store. Give prizes to the top salesman per store. Something to inventivize sales.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:51 PM
109 ... 2345