Hello,

I've been an avid BB lover for a few years. I've since owned a Android based device. Being that the Android Marketplace is so open to developers and the UI is very developed wouldn't it make sense for BB to switch? It would be a deal breaker for me to switch back to BB. I understand already that you can load android apps on BB but that seems like a pain.

Anyone's opinions???
    11-28-13 11:16 PM
    That would be stupid in my opinion. There is much more to BB10 then apps, I much prefer the BB10 UI, and don't care much about customization.
    11-28-13 11:19 PM
    That would be stupid in my opinion. There is much more to BB10 then apps, I much prefer the BB10 UI, and don't care much about customization.
    Totally get that, I'ed love there to be an option between the two. Simply because many users who'ed potentially switch over to BB hardware might want to carry some applications. I think this would be intelligent for RIM being that Android based devices own the marketplace.
    11-28-13 11:24 PM
    I completely disagree.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    k3cub likes this.
    11-28-13 11:27 PM
    No way. QNX for the win.

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    11-28-13 11:28 PM
    Bb10 already has android

Wouldn't it be better of Blackberry used Android?-img_00000463.png

Sent from my Z30
    11-28-13 11:31 PM
    QNX already has android launcher, why need android OS?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-28-13 11:35 PM
    All bb10 needs is Google services

Sent from my Z30
    11-28-13 11:36 PM
    I like BB 10 the way it is now with android and android apps in a sandboxed environment.
    Mecca EL and Geekerz like this.
    11-28-13 11:38 PM
    Selfishly, I prefer a separate OS.
    lazypapichulo21 and MERCDROID like this.
    11-28-13 11:48 PM
    This has come up again and again. What hasn't been said is that if BlackBerry had switched to Android they would have been beholden to Google.

To get Google Play Services they'd have to play by Google's rules. It would even limit who their hardware vendors could be. In essence they'd give up their independence to Google.

This article linked below is a very good read to understanding why BlackBerry did not choose Android as a replacement for its legacy OS. The article doesn't talk specifically about BlackBerry but does outline the issues a company faces if it wants to fork Android (such as Amazon has done.)

BlackBerry's current strategy may turn out to be for the best in the long term - a secure OS they control that can take advantage of the Android app ecosystem.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...ans-necessary/

Here's my favorite quote from the article that just may add further insight as to why and where BlackBerry may be headed:

"If a company other than Google can come up with a way to make Android better than it is now, it would be able to build a serious competitor and possibly threaten Google's smartphone dominance."

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.1.1055 | Bell via CB10
    11-29-13 12:06 AM
    With 10.2.1.XXXX we are half way there. BBOS10 feels like a much more intuitive UI than kitkat, but both are pretty nice. I would prefer a perfect android emulator that would run google play services and allow us to use their apps but continue on with the more communications and messaging optimized platform. It amazes me that most users outside the Crackberry garden don't get that BBRY is still superior for messaging and communications.

If you create or make things happen BBRY still rules, if you consume and just ingest content both iOS and Android are better solutions.
    R Field likes this.
    11-29-13 12:07 AM
    No, I really don't think it would be. I like how the BB 10 operating system works. Are there things it needs work in? Sure. App selection is one, some old OS 7 features are missing that I would like added back. But overall I am very happy with my choice and would not want to trade it for an Android.
    11-29-13 12:19 AM
    I agree that the Android runtime must be able to run as many as possible Android apps, but contained in a BlackBerry environment. BlackBerry is not Android and should never be. They have too much to offer as BlackBerry. As far as the Google services: I don't think that will ever be possible (and as far as I'm concerned, if you are that desperate for the full Google experience, get yourself a Nexus).
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-29-13 12:25 AM
    We need many things in life but no platform can make you say it is perfect,said that yes the App gap is there but still i myself say yes we need Android services with all integrity of bb10 ,but some times i again say oh my god so bb will lose its all efficiency and the saftey profile of QNX and BB we are marketing.
    11-29-13 12:29 AM
    Agreed but i disagree with the customization part as it is very much important tool in the new evolving Mobile computing industry and we will see lot of involvement in next few years in this department.
    11-29-13 12:34 AM
    The creator of this post is another person complaining for having choices.... If you think android is better, keep android... especialy because BB devices are more expensive with less "specs", so there's nothing to gain there.... The only way BB device makes sense, is with a BB OS, wich is much better optimized than the laggy android....

why having 2 operative systems in the market is SUPERIOR to having 3 operating systems, wich 2 of them are the 2 previous?

NO, It isn't any better for BB to have android OS...
    Sergeant_Im and k3cub like this.
    11-29-13 12:43 AM
    I starting to hate google with there privacy bully in gmail, google+ , youtube and more and it seems in Europe to get google on court because they using private things from you to advertise to others. I allready moving my stuff away from gmail to my own paid email account. So Android is no GO and just moved away from them to get back, NO
    k3cub and gtema like this.
    11-29-13 01:31 AM
    If I wanted an Android smartphone then I would've gotten one. BB10 still needs to be improved further, but I like it better than Android.

I also think that Android is a saturated market since they have several Android phone makers, so if BlackBerry were to switch to Android I believe that truly would be the end of BlackBerry. IMO their phones don't really have much to make them different from all the other Android phones.

I also like it when a company makes both the OS and the phone since it allows them to do things they can't when they only make one or the other.
    11-29-13 01:35 AM
    If I couldn't have BB10 anymore, I'd probably go WP. But if I had to go Android I think Sony does it better.

What would BlackBerry honestly bring to the table as an Android shop?

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    11-29-13 01:41 AM
    Bb10 already has android

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000463.png 
Views:	1484 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	225222

Sent from my Z30
    name of the launcher?
    11-29-13 01:47 AM
    name of the launcher?
    Nova launcher pro I think.

sent from my galaxy note 3
    11-29-13 01:48 AM
    The creator of this post is another person complaining for having choices.... If you think android is better, keep android... especialy because BB devices are more expensive with less "specs", so there's nothing to gain there.... The only way BB device makes sense, is with a BB OS, wich is much better optimized than the laggy android....

why having 2 operative systems in the market is SUPERIOR to having 3 operating systems, wich 2 of them are the 2 previous?

NO, It isn't any better for BB to have android OS...
    My note 3 doesn't lag.

sent from my galaxy note 3
    kevinnugent and lvbucki like this.
    11-29-13 01:50 AM
    If they had the Android OS I wouldn't buy a BlackBerry 10 phone is rather get a HTC one in that case. BB10 and what it does well specifically being great at mobile communications is what makes me stay with BlackBerry. Also if it ran Android OS you can kiss many government contracts goodbye and major businesses that require high level security at their respective firms.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055
    11-29-13 03:25 AM
    Hello,

I've been an avid BB lover for a few years. I've since owned a Android based device. Being that the Android Marketplace is so open to developers and the UI is very developed wouldn't it make sense for BB to switch? It would be a deal breaker for me to switch back to BB. I understand already that you can load android apps on BB but that seems like a pain.

Anyone's opinions???
    hi geekerz, first of all, welcome to the forums
    Seems everyone here forgot their manners

I guess the bigger question is why people are on BB10 in the first place.
    Given that Android has been around for a while, it seems that people were either:

1) Looking for another option in addition to the iOS and Android
    2) Were looking forward to an OS from BlackBerry

If they have BB10, which fulfils both the above, and they have access to apps from Android (although in a weird roundabout way), AND they're happy, why would they want BB10 to switch to Android??

LP&HG
    11-29-13 07:08 AM
109 123 ...