That BB OS10 is end of life, it's a used phone at a fairly large purchase price?

I have a Z10 STL100-3 working almost perfectly with the usual craptastic battery life one expects to get from it and a screen that's getting a bit too small for this old man's eyes.

I do have an LG G3 and a second gen Moto X at home that I could upgrade to, but I'd rather use OS10 as it just provides me with more control that I think I can get out of Android.

My STL100-3 AT&T works fine as is.
    The STA100-1 is an AT&T LTE device

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
    Last edited by Rustybronco; 11-19-15 at 12:41 PM. Reason: STA100-3 > STL100-3 MOTO G > X
    11-17-15 11:56 AM
    If I already had a Z30 that was working well enough, I would not buy another one--especially if the benefits aren't worth a re-buy. I would save the money towards another phone, or something else.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    11-17-15 12:07 PM
    In my case it's a Z10 so for 'me' the Z30 still about the only possible BB upgrade path viable.

Does that change things in your opinion?
    11-17-15 12:10 PM
    I may be thinking of upgrading to a Priv I have a Z30 with a cracked screen which I can fix of you are interested let me know.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    11-17-15 12:11 PM
    Thanks for the offer. I am already in contact with a member who has a z30 with a broken screen. This one popped up since sending them the message. What's intriguing is the fact the STA100-1 has AT&T's LTE bands where as the -5 variant does not.
    11-17-15 12:16 PM
    In my case it's a Z10 so for 'me' the Z30 still about the only possible BB upgrade path viable.

Does that change things in your opinion?
    Ah ok. I saw STA100-3 first, so I thought you were thinking of switching from the Verizon Z30 to the -1 Z30.

Hmm, I better understand your predicament now. One thing that's absolutely clear is that the Z30 STA100-1 is the direct successor to the Z10 STL100-3, AT&T compatibility-wise. Unfortunately, it's in shorter supply than other Z30s so I think that has an artificial effect on prices--where it (-1) may be more expensive than the -5 that's more readily available.

So you have got to ask yourself--is the price you're looking at (the whole thing, not the difference between a -5 and a -1) worth the upgrades you're getting from a Z10: bigger screen, faster processor, FM radio, better battery and speakers, etc? And in that price, you have to factor in that this is a -1, which has (unfortunately) become a feature.

Personally, I would pay no more than $30 what the other Z30s are going for. But I haven't researched the true availability of -1s and what the pricing/market for Z30s in general is like.
    11-17-15 01:13 PM
    Thanks for the offer. I am already in contact with a member who has a z30 with a broken screen. This one popped up since sending them the message. What's intriguing is the fact the STA100-1 has AT&T's LTE bands where as the -5 variant does not.
    Oh wow I almost misread.

An STA100-1 I have only heard of those didn't think they actually existed.

Saw a few months ago somebody has an STA100-4 which is the sprint variant even though it was never actually released on sprint.

I've got an STA100-3 which is the Verizon model, but I preferred this one because it has Qi Wireless charging and the other variants do not.

I had a Z10 before my Z30 and really the biggest difference is the larger display (I actually preferred the brightness levels on the Z10 over the Z30) and the Battery which is a huge difference.

Another option you can do if it is just battery life is you can buy one of those extended Z10 batteries. I think the known brand is Mupen, but I have a Chinese knockoff one for my Z10 lying around somewhere that actually worked pretty well. It basically doubled battery life on the Z10.

But good luck getting that STA100-1 those things must be rare!

11-17-15 06:32 PM
    If you don't mind me asking, how does the lower pixel count of the Z30 compare to the Z10? Is all that noticeable? I really do like the display on my Z10 and even though it's on the small size, you can't beat the quality.

In my mind so far the pluses of the Z30 are it's speakers, battery life and screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 06:43 PM
    If you don't mind me asking, how does the lower pixel count of the Z30 compare to the Z10? Is all that noticeable? I really do like the display on my Z10 and even though it's on the small size, you can't beat the quality.

In my mind so far the pluses of the Z30 are it's speakers, battery life and screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    Pixel density isn't really noticeable. At least to me the difference is very small. The quality of both the Z10 and the Z30 are very nice but on my Z10 I could change the level of brightness tremendously but on the Z30 the difference between 0% and 100% is pretty small unlike on the Z10 maybe because it's AMOLED.

That's true speakers on this device sound great, Z10's were decent but they weren't nearly as load and didn't have BlackBerry's Natural Sound features that the Z30 and Passport have.

Battery is a huge bonus.
    On my Z10 I had to carry around two batteries.
    Unless I really abuse my Z30 it easily lasts me through the day from about 7:30-12:00. Had a long night last night and by 4 AM it was at 9%

Screen is nice to have the Z10 was getting a little too small for my liking, even though I have small hands I still like the bigger screen if the Z30.

11-17-15 07:56 PM
    If you think you'll get another year or two's usage out of it (which I think is very realistic from BB10 even without updates) then it seems like an easy yes unless you have any desire to switch to a Passport. The Z30 is a great device and BB10 is a great OS. LTE would be a great perk as well as having a "unicorn" of sorts.

Going from the Z10 to Z30 is a bigger upgrade than you'd think from looking at specs. The better CPU/GPU make a noticeable difference, the build feels a lot more premium, and the battery is so much better. I'm using a Passport as my main phone these days and still think about switching back to the Z30 from time to time.
    11-18-15 05:29 AM