I would like to get a Z30 but not sure it will work with the email system at work. The work email is hosted by Google and we use our own domain in the email address. I have been told by our email administration that they are using Google Sync which works with iOS, Windows phone and they also have Android sync as well. So I'm not sure where this leaves me getting a Z30. I should also point out they are phasing out the BES for BBOS devices.
    12-06-13 11:35 PM
    BB10 is active sync. Will work. Hosting has no relevance. Domain name has no relevance. BES for BBOS has no relevance to BB10. go and get your Z30 with upmost confidence. it is a beast.
    12-06-13 11:40 PM
    Thank you for the reply.

What was the procedure used to activate your business accounts?
    12-09-13 10:50 AM
    Just as simple as any other.
    Put your email address and password and go.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 12:21 PM
    I have the email working but, having a struggle getting the Contacts and Calendar set up with my Google work account
    12-09-13 06:53 PM
    I host the email on my domain with google apps (the old free version), email works very well on the Q10. The calendar does not sync, but that could be due to me using the free version of google apps. Calendar syncs well with office365, anything that is active sync will work well.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:15 PM
    When I added my law school account it was the same thing I believe. Its hosted by Gmail but ends in @schoolname.edu, when I added it in my accounts it didn't pick it up rite away so I had to use advanced set up and select Gmail as the type of account, then from there everything worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:19 PM
    I host the email on my domain with google apps (the old free version), email works very well on the Q10. The calendar does not sync, but that could be due to me using the free version of google apps. Calendar syncs well with office365, anything that is active sync will work well.

The free version, since February this year, does not support Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) - you have to use IMAP for the email side protocol. (Unless you set up the specific device you are using prior to the free EAS cutoff date.)

Since IMAP is not designed for contact/calendar syncing, if you want those features with the free version of Google Apps, you have to use CardDAV and CalDAV protocols.

If you are using the commercial (paid) version of Google Apps, that is supposed to still support EAS, including contact/calendar syncing. (Google doesn't like to call it ActiveSync, they call it Google Sync)
    12-09-13 11:32 PM
    When I added my law school account it was the same thing I believe. Its hosted by Gmail but ends in @schoolname.edu, when I added it in my accounts it didn't pick it up rite away so I had to use advanced set up and select Gmail as the type of account, then from there everything worked fine.

Correct. I believe the authentication works different for commercial accounts, and the "automagic" thing BlackBerry uses to configure accounts automatically would need to be bypassed.

(Note: this is for OS versions 10.1.0.4xxx and above. You probably want to avoid any OS versions prior to that, and use the latest available to you, for Google email accounts, as they work better. 10.2.x and above are preferred.)
    12-09-13 11:33 PM
    Thank you. The OS on my Z30 is 10.2.0.429. I now have the email, Calendar and Contacts setup. Accounts/AddAccount/Advanced/Gmail - Username is the same as the email address. Fill in the Description and Display Name then hit next you will then be taken to your corporate login screen. I then put in my credentials and accepted them and presented me with screen telling me an application wants to have access to them. Now the first time I did it connected my email. I repeated the same procedure a second time and it told me it was already setup, but this time I had my calendar and contacts as well.
    Omnitech likes this.
    12-10-13 01:15 AM
    Thank you. The OS on my Z30 is 10.2.0.429. I now have the email, Calendar and Contacts setup. Accounts/AddAccount/Advanced/Gmail - Username is the same as the email address. Fill in the Description and Display Name then hit next you will then be taken to your corporate login screen. I then put in my credentials and accepted them and presented me with screen telling me an application wants to have access to them. Now the first time I did it connected my email. I repeated the same procedure a second time and it told me it was already setup, but this time I had my calendar and contacts as well.

So all working for you now?
    12-10-13 02:19 AM
    So all working for you now?
    All is working.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-10-13 10:59 AM
    awesome. glad you got it up and running!
    Just some additional info with corporate (paid) google apps accounts. Yes you can use EAS still, or use the gmail IMAP for email, CalDav for calendars and Cardav for contacts. I have used either method, which honestly I use a hybrid (eas for email, cal/cardav for calendar/contacts) for instant syncing of all.
    12-10-13 11:27 AM
    All is working.

Fabulous. Hope you enjoy it.
    12-10-13 03:41 PM
    I read in another post that 10.2.1.1055 brought remote email search for Google Apps paid accounts using EAS. Is this working for anyone?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:11 PM
    I read in another post that 10.2.1.1055 brought remote email search for Google Apps paid accounts using EAS. Is this working for anyone?

Remote search for EAS accounts has been a feature of BB10 from the beginning.

Some of the early releases may have had slightly buggy implementations, but I get remote search on both Microsoft Exchange Servers and Outlook.com service using 10.1.0.4828. No 10.2 necessary.

So if it wasn't working with Google's implementation (which is probably unique to them), I'd be more inclined Google first before BlackBerry.
    12-10-13 11:20 PM
    Fabulous. Hope you enjoy it.
    I believe I owe you a follow up to getting my BlackBerry Z30 up and running with Email, Calendar, and Contacts. This is the configuration I ended up using.
    Note this is for a Corporate Gmail account.
    Email

Settings/Account/Add accounts/Advanced/Gmail

Description -
    Display Name
    Username - email address in my case (corporate Gmail email address)
    Email Address- email address in my case (corporate Gmail email address)
    Password - password used to access the email account
    Leave the balance of the entries as they are.
    Once I saved this I was taken to my corporate login page. I put in my credentials and my Gmail account was setup.

Now for the Contacts and Calendars

Calendar

Settings/Account/Add accounts/Advanced/CalDAV
    Description -
    Username - email address in my case (corporate Gmail email address)
    Email Address- email address in my case (corporate Gmail email address)
    Password - password*** see note below
    Server Address - Google

Contacts

Settings/Account/Add accounts/Advanced/CardDAV
    Description -
    Username - email address in my (corporate Gmail email address)
    Email Address- email address in my (corporate Gmail email address)
    Password - password*** see note below
    Server Address - Google

*** Note: The password I used for setting up the calendar and contacts was one sent to me via our Gmail administrator. It was not my regular password used to access my email account.

As for the Calendar it did not populate on the BlackBerry, but an event I have in my calendar for later this evening showed up in the Hub. A separate calendar was created as well.

As for the Contacts they have synced to my Z30 as a separate contact list

Now I get down to using it
    12-12-13 02:40 PM
    As for the Calendar it did not populate on the BlackBerry, but an event I have in my calendar for later this evening showed up in the Hub. A separate calendar was created as well.

So if you go into Calendar settings, Calendar Colors, your Google Account's calendar does not show in that list?

Or you just don't see any events?

It could take a while for the events to synchronize to the mobile device.
    12-12-13 03:03 PM
    The calendar shows in the list, but once inside the calendar there are no events listed. We will see if they show up over night.
    12-12-13 05:22 PM
    The calendar shows in the list, but once inside the calendar there are no events listed. We will see if they show up over night.
    Hm, interesting.

Did the CalDAV setup page have a setting for sync history or timeframe? (I see a "sync interval" setting there but nothing else)

There are some specific defaults/limits to how far in the past and future BB10 will import calendar events via EAS, I don't know how it works in CalDAV.

Are the missing events current, ie for this month?
    12-12-13 06:02 PM
    "sync interval" setting there but nothing else - the items missing are from the current month going forward.
    12-12-13 09:59 PM
    "sync interval" setting there but nothing else - the items missing are from the current month going forward.
    So you see historical events but not current or future ones?

Hmm, that shouldn't be a problem. Here is the official spec for how far back and forward a CalDAV calendar is supposed to sync on a BB10 device:

KB34623-Sync Time Frame for integrated CalDAV calendars on the BlackBerry 10 OS

The only other thing I can think of is that the account is being "lazy" about syncing those events. I have heard people talking about it taking a while before all the objects synced.

But shouldn't take that long.
    12-13-13 01:51 AM
    So you see historical events but not current or future ones?

Hmm, that shouldn't be a problem. Here is the official spec for how far back and forward a CalDAV calendar is supposed to sync on a BB10 device:

KB34623-Sync Time Frame for integrated CalDAV calendars on the BlackBerry 10 OS

The only other thing I can think of is that the account is being "lazy" about syncing those events. I have heard people talking about it taking a while before all the objects synced.

But shouldn't take that long.
    Checked the calendar this morning and it is populated now and some of the entries go all the way into 2015 and beyond. That maybe due to the way the appointment was entered by the meeting requester.
    12-13-13 07:30 AM
    Checked the calendar this morning and it is populated now and some of the entries go all the way into 2015 and beyond. That maybe due to the way the appointment was entered by the meeting requester.

OK, so I guess the answer then was it was just being "lazy" with the sync. Glad it's working for you now.

You seriously are using your Google business account in a terrible way. The beauty of Google business account is it does ActiveSync. You are not taking advantage of that fabulous capability. I explained in post #15 how you should setup a Google business account. You won't need IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV with all their clunkiness. ActiveSync is fast, efficient and solid. And it handles email, calendar and contacts through one connection.

So now that everything's up and running you're going to tell him to change it all?

I agree EAS is nice tech, but it may or may not have any practical advantage over a working IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV setup. And it can always be changed later since the data is mostly hosted in the cloud and not on the device anyway.
    RalphBlack likes this.
    12-13-13 05:58 PM
    RalphBlack,

You seriously are using your Google business account in a terrible way. The beauty of Google business account is it does ActiveSync. You are not taking advantage of that fabulous capability. I explained in post #15 how you should setup a Google business account. You won't need IMAP, CalDAV and CardDAV with all their clunkiness. ActiveSync is fast, efficient and solid. And it handles email, calendar and contacts through one connection.
    I appreciate the fact that active sync may work better, but I did try setting it up that way. It would not. work for me so I fell back to the other method, which seems to be working fine.
    12-14-13 08:04 AM