Vote now! I chose the third. Hehe

- Yes

- No

- Maybe, but the 2years old specs are unfortunate.

Will You Buy the BlackBerry Z30 Despite only Dual-core and 720p Specs? (Poll) - N4BB

Posted via CB10

Short answer: Yes

Long answer.......Yes.

The only reason there is a specs race in the first place with high end android sets, is because of the inefficiencies of the android OS. BBRY is smart staying out of this race. No matter what you do, your handsets will be eclipsed by a more powerful phone in a matter of weeks. The Moto X showed that the user experience matters more than pure numbers. The Z30 will be a great phone on it's own, even with specs that aren't cutting edge. I am glad BBRY is placing a greater emphasis on the software optimization and user experience than padding spec sheets. My only hope is that it packs an awesome battery life!

PS I hope to get this baby off contract as well! And I'm receiving my Z10 within 2 days as well and have to sell off my Bold 9900 (Anyone interested? :P). Looks like I gotta sell my iphone as well, happily I might add, its a glorified music player for me at this point.
    09-03-13 12:31 AM
    Short answer: Yes

Long answer.......Yes.

The only reason there is a specs race in the first place with high end android sets, is because of the inefficiencies of the android OS. BBRY is smart staying out of this race. No matter what you do, your handsets will be eclipsed by a more powerful phone in a matter of weeks. The Moto X showed that the user experience matters more than pure numbers. The Z30 will be a great phone on it's own, even with specs that aren't cutting edge. I am glad BBRY is placing a greater emphasis on the software optimization and user experience than padding spec sheets. My only hope is that it packs an awesome battery life!

PS I hope to get this baby off contract as well! And I'm receiving my Z10 within 2 days as well and have to sell off my Bold 9900 (Anyone interested? :P). Looks like I gotta sell my iphone as well, happily I might add, its a glorified music player for me at this point.
    And the next candidate...

Why the hell, are all of you so damn willing to massively overpay for bad specs?

I don't get it...
    If BlackBerry would sell the Z30 for an acceptable price, because the specs are abysmal, I would have no problem at all with that phone.
    I would even buy it myself.

But we all know that BlackBerry will overprice this new device in a severely insulting way.

Oh, btw, the Moto X proved exactly nothing as of now. If the consumer is willing to grossly overpay for a mediocre Motorola handset has not been shown.
    And that he wants a phone that always listens to everything he says (the Google Now functionality from the Moto X) has yet to be proven as well.

So please, could someone explain me why a rational human would think that BlackBerry's way of overpricing their devices is acceptable and desirable?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-03-13 at 01:26 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-03-13 01:00 AM
    No. So when will anyone actually be able to buy it? Any release dates?
    09-03-13 01:18 AM
    No. So when will anyone actually be able to buy it? Any release dates?
    Possibly on 25th of this month.
    09-03-13 01:46 AM
    And the next candidate...

Why the hell, are all of you so damn willing to massively overpay for bad specs?

I don't get it...
    If BlackBerry would sell the Z30 for an acceptable price, because the specs are abysmal, I would have no problem at all with that phone.
    I would even buy it myself.

But we all know that BlackBerry will overprice this new device in a severely insulting way.

Oh, btw, the Moto X proved exactly nothing as of now. If the consumer is willing to grossly overpay for a mediocre Motorola handset has not been shown.
    And that he wants a phone that always listens to everything he says (the Google Now functionality from the Moto X) has yet to be proven as well.

So please, could someone explain me why a rational human would think that BlackBerry's way of overpricing their devices is acceptable and desirable?

Posted via CB10
    For me personally, Z30 is exciting. Yes, even despite its mediocre specs. I used to be hung up on specs too. I think we should give the phone a fair chance and not judge it just based on specs. Price wise, yes it probably will be overpriced, but thats the price that early adopters pay. Not a problem for me personally.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-03-13 08:13 AM
    Samsung's flagship is approx $500 comes with:

* top end screen
    * monster cores
    * zillion processor
    * beefy ram
    * biggest app selection
    * no "mobile computing" but has miracast, usb otg, works with almost any peripheral, so more MB than BB
    * fully baked, mature OS (customization)

Blackberry Z30 will be approx the same price as any other flagship at the time (iPhone 5s? Samsung S5?).

It will come with:

* Z10 strecthed to be bigger
    * Slightly bumped in specs to be up to date (aka 2012 Samsung specs)

I just don't see the value unless the Z10 screen is too small for you and you need a slightly larger screen.
    MarsupilamiX and Donvald like this.
    09-03-13 08:59 AM
    For me personally, Z30 is exciting. Yes, even despite its mediocre specs. I used to be hung up on specs too.
    I am not hung up on specs per se, I don't know where you did get that from.
    I think that the Lumia 520 is a wonderful device, and the price of 150 Euro makes it an even more attractive smartphone.

The Nexus 4 hasn't got top of the line specs right now, but it did when it launched and the pricing of the Nexus line is incredibly good, when we factor in the specs.
    299$ at launch and 199$ right now.
    Not even talking about future support and the better ecosystem.

I think we should give the phone a fair chance and not judge it just based on specs. Price wise, yes it probably will be overpriced, but thats the price that early adopters pay.
    I also do not understand, why you have to focus on early adopters.
    Early adopters of the Nexus 4 paid 299$.
    The Z30 will have pretty similar specs, without a quadcore though, but you'll surely pay the double for it.
    Chinese manufacturers sell phones that have the Z30's specs and a 1080p display for about 200 dollars.

Talking about early adopters, to justify a price point that wasn't even justifiable one year ago, shows me pretty clearly that you did not understand, why the price of the Z30 will be a humiliation for BlackBerry.

Not a problem for me personally.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Well, that's great of course, and the price of the Z30 won't be a problem for me as well.
    I have another reason for that though:
    If BlackBerry prices the Z30 head to head with the new Samsung Galaxy Note 3, I'll just buy the Note.

That YOU should care much more about the pricing, is illustrated pretty easily:
    The BB10 adoption was pretty bad until now.
    BlackBerry pricing their devices out of the market, was one major reason for that.

How long will BlackBerry be around producing handsets, if they can't sell them because the pricing is completely off the mark?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, yxd0018 and Donvald like this.
    09-03-13 09:04 AM
    Chinese manufacturers sell phones that have the Z30's specs and a 1080p display for about 200 dollars.
    With dual sim cards, meaning you don't need to fork out extra cash for BES10 for Blackberry Balance, you get real balance with one work number one personal number, with balance you still have one number for both work & personal.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    09-03-13 09:14 AM
    Everyone is missing the point which is that this phones performance will be exceptional, with outstanding battery life. Honestly I fully expect battery life to be one of the phones biggest selling points. A spec only matched by the Razr Maxx...which is now exclusive to Verizon in the USA.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 09:47 AM
    No and the specs have nothing to do with it. For me there is no compelling reason to buy a pregnant Z10.
    09-03-13 10:04 AM
    Everyone is missing the point which is that this phones performance will be exceptional, with outstanding battery life. Honestly I fully expect battery life to be one of the phones biggest selling points. A spec only matched by the Razr Maxx...which is now exclusive to Verizon in the USA.

Posted via CB10
    It's a rhetoric question that I will ask now:

How good were the sales, for the Android RAZR series and wasn't that Motorola's last try, before getting bought up by Google?

I rather think that you missed the point and therefore I'll give you another rhetoric question:

If the incredibly great battery life of the Razr Maxx, combined with the Android ecosystem, didn't help to sway customers away from Samsung and Apple, do you really think that BlackBerry will be able to do it with an insultingly overpriced but underspecced Z30?

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    09-03-13 10:19 AM
    Regardless if the device needs better specs or not it's all about perception. BlackBerry will continue to struggle and make inferior devices ( in the mind of the masses) until it markets to perceptions. Sometimes you need to use specs for marketing alone unfortunately. I'm not convinced that Samsung s4 specs make it run better but public perception thinks so. This is one reason it's a best seller.

2 options.

1) Market to change misperceptions.

2) Create a device that meets the expectations of public perception.

Posted via CB10 with Z10
    09-03-13 08:51 PM
    That doesn't make any sense at all, as long as a phone with far better specs, will cost the same, or less than the Z30.

If the Z30 will come close to a price of 600 Euro, and we compare that with current flagships (and the ones launching in the same quarter as the Z30 will launch), we can only come to the conclusion that we would massively overpay for a phone that has abysmal specs, compared to the competition.

Your statement would be completely logical, if the A10/Z30 will sell for faaaaar less than 600$. Somewhere in the 400$ realm.
    But the way you formulated your sentence, it seems like you actually do want to get ripped off by BlackBerry, through grossly overpaying them for very mediocre specs.

Posted via CB10
    And how much do you think the z30 would cost with a 1080p screen 4gbs of ram and a 2ghz quad core processor?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 10:41 PM
    And how much do you think the z30 would cost with a 1080p screen 4gbs of ram and a 2ghz quad core processor?

Posted via CB10
    I can tell you what the current Samsung Flagship offers, and for what price.

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartph...bUvbUpU9115302
    Price is 498 Euro in Germany and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...bUvbUpU9115302
    624$ in the US.

Specs:
    5 inch1080p display.
    Quadcore with 1.9 ghz and an Adreno 320 GPU or an octacore with 1.6ghz/1.2ghz and the GPU duties are handled by a PowerVR SGX 544MP3, capable of running at up to 533MHz(regional differences).
    2GB of RAM.

We can also look at the Nexus 4, 16GB. It was introduced for a price of 349 $/Euro.
    Specs can be looked at here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_4

The thing with the Nexus is, that it has better specs than the Z10, was launched before, but was less costly by 250-300$ when the Z10 finally launched.

Using these 2 simple examples, we can see that your reply actually was a strawman.
    The reason for that is obvious:
    The Android manufacturers have shown how much a high-end phone with high-end specs should cost.

We could even use the Lumia flagship (the best camera in a phone. By a biiiiig margin) or the HTC One as well.
    The price for a top of the line phone, with excellent specs is set somewhere in the 600$ realm.

The specs BlackBerry used in the Z10 are to be found in a phone that costs 350$.
    Some chinese manufacturers offer the same for 200$.

The question you asked, is the wrong one.
    The right one would be:
    "How are the other manufacturers pricing their flagships?"

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-04-13 at 08:54 AM.
    imz and danprown like this.
    09-03-13 11:25 PM
    I can tell you what the current Samsung Flagship offers, and for what price.

http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Smartph...bUvbUpU9115357
    Price is 498 Euro in Germany and

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...bUvbUpU9115357
    624$ in the US.

Specs:
    5 inch1080p display.
    Quadcore with 1.9 ghz and an Adreno 320 GPu or an octacore with 1.6ghz/1.2ghz and the GPU duties are handled by a PowerVR SGX 544MP3, capable of running at up to 533MHz(regional differences).
    2GB of RAM.

We can also look at the Nexus 4, 16GB. It was introduced for a price of 349 $/Euro.
    Specs can be looked at here:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_4

The thing with Nexus is, that it has better specs than the Z10, was launched before, but was less costly by 250-300$ when the Z10 finally launched.

Using these 2 simple examples, we can see that your reply actually was a strawman.
    The reason for that is obvious:
    The Android manufacturers have shown how much a high-end phone with high-end specs should cost.

We could even use the Lumia flagship (the best camera in a phone. By a biiiiig margin) or the HTC One as well.
    The price for a top of the line phone, with excellent specs is set somewhere in the 600$ realm.

The specs BlackBerry used in the Z10 are to be found in a phone that costs 350$.
    Some chinese manufacturers offer the same for 200$.

The questioned you asked, is the wrong one.
    The right one would be:
    "How are the other manufacturers pricing their flagships?"

Posted via CB10
    The thing is you are comparing specs of android phones vs bb10 phones. Just like how you couldn't compare windows computers to mac computers. Different specs for different operating systems.

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    09-03-13 11:45 PM
    The thing is you are comparing specs of android phones vs bb10 phones. Just like how you couldn't compare windows computers to mac computers. Different specs for different operating systems.

Posted via CB10
    No that's not the thing because I am not only comparing the specs.

I am comparing the price these specs have in smartphones for the end-user.
    If BlackBerry uses specs, that you find in phones that sell for 200-300 Euro/$ but charges you 600$/Euro for it, then this has nothing to do with the OS.
    For BlackBerry, using 1 and a half year old Hardware in the Z10 was definitely good for the margins, as they sold their device for 250-300$ more, than a better specced Nexus 4.
    But for the consumer, this actually means that he grossly overpayed for the hardware.

Since most users want apps, from big named to niche programs, and BBW does not offer what most users desire, a high price tag for very cheap hardware, seems even more ridiculous.

You completely missed the point.
    And if you want to, we'll take Apple as an example as well:
    Let's say you order a new MacBook Pro, and enhance the RAM, you are paying a very big Apple tax on it, even though the hardware would be at least 50% cheaper when you would just buy a 8GB stick of RAM from Amazon.

The price for hardware like a SoC/Ram/storage is pretty much OS agnostic.
    Be it Ram in a Mac, or a Snapdragon 600 CPU in phones (should cost about 20$, btw).

The conclusion, that BlackBerry let's consumers overpay a lot, for old Hardware still stands.
    If they use cheap hardware and have a bad ecosystem, this has to be reflected in smaller prices for the consumer.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-04-13 at 08:46 AM.
    Donvald likes this.
    09-04-13 12:36 AM
    So the Z30 won't even have 1080p display? That's weak, my phone was released last year and has 5" 1080p display. Some people will argue it doesn't matter but you can really see a difference. Even text looks so more crisp and clear. BlackBerry really needs some buzz and this phone will not fit the bill I'm afraid.

Want to create buzz? Release 6" 1080p phone with some type of integrated detachable Bluetooth earpiece that charges from phone, make as easy as possible to use as a phone . Phablets are not just a fad, they will become more and more popular, as more people replace phone and tablet with one device. Go after that market hard. Maybe even Playbook owners would consider this their next tablet and they wouldn't be so pissed anymore.
    09-06-13 11:43 PM
    I can't see the the Z30 coming out before the company is sold. Who would anyone buy a BlackBerry with such uncertainty? I'm not in business, but for the life of me, why was this announced? Why scare away the few potential buyers left out there? I would love for someone here to give me one good reason. Seriously.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 11:53 PM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yes! Buying the Z30! Awesome phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 05:24 AM
    So the Z30 won't even have 1080p display? That's weak, my phone was released last year and has 5" 1080p display. Some people will argue it doesn't matter but you can really see a difference. Even text looks so more crisp and clear. BlackBerry really needs some buzz and this phone will not fit the bill I'm afraid.

Want to create buzz? Release 6" 1080p phone with some type of integrated detachable Bluetooth earpiece that charges from phone, make as easy as possible to use as a phone . Phablets are not just a fad, they will become more and more popular, as more people replace phone and tablet with one device. Go after that market hard. Maybe even Playbook owners would consider this their next tablet and they wouldn't be so pissed anymore.
    I don't know about you but a 6 inch phablet will not fit in my pocket. I have no desire to own one.

You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
    09-07-13 05:31 AM
    Im also disappointed the battery isn't removable.

Posted via CB10
    True, but didn't quite a few find that a loose battery was the cause for their rebooting issue? Maybe this is BB's solution for this. Plus, wouldn't a portable battery bank/pack take the place of carrying a backup battery also?
    09-07-13 05:59 AM
    For me the Z30 is just way to big of a phone to use one handed which is one of the characteristics that I look for in a smartphone. I was hoping to wait for a BB10 slider but when my 8530 died I got a Q10 and I love it. That being said if BlackBerry were to come out with a Z10 sized slider I'd have to breakdown and by one off contract.

But back to the Z30. Just looking at the leaks is seems well built like most of the BlackBerry phones but the main question is if your shoping for a new phone and wanted a 5 inch device why would you choose the Z30? BlackBerry need a gimic for their phone, the new droid have the always on voice controls, the S4 has the air gestures and eye motion tracker, and the HTC one has blinkfeed and Boomsound. All of these things make for great advertising and are demonstrable. So I ask you outside of the Hub what does the Z30 have to offer?

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 06:06 AM
    Well, we'll have to see the final release still, but surely it won't be a Z10(s) or (c) . It's the OS, and if the final release of the device looks to be an even better fit than my current Z, and the OS updates keep coming, sure, will buy.
    09-07-13 06:06 AM
    no unfortunately. why??? cause Specs do matter long term. and BB10 needing 2GB RAM to run PROPERLY is pretty disappointing. Why buy a Z30 with bad specs for a 2013 phone, more expensive, bad app support when you can buy a Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 1520, Xperia Z1 etc it's a odd position for the Z30
    09-07-13 06:11 AM
    no unfortunately. why??? cause Specs do matter long term. and BB10 needing 2GB RAM to run PROPERLY is pretty disappointing. Why buy a Z30 with bad specs for a 2013 phone, more expensive, bad app support when you can buy a Galaxy Note 3, Lumia 1520, Xperia Z1 etc it's a odd position for the Z30
    I bought my Z10 on price. It was �270, pretty much half of its launch price. The market will give the Z30 a huge rasberry at launch as Blackberry always overprices its products initially to let the suckers pay through the nose, and then when it sees its first quarter sales numbers slashes (Playbook anyone?)

Now with the sale process for the company itself in motion there is one less reason for anyone to buy a Blackberry. There is uncertainty as to the future development and existence of Blackberry handsets. I had a friend pop over for a drink last night from a smallish accountancy firm and he has a Blackberry curve. He said they would not update these while there was uncertainty over Blackberry's future, but that he needed keys to be efficient at work.
    09-07-13 06:30 AM
282 ... 56789 ...