Hi group, This is my first post.. so be gentle

I was a diehard blackberry user for many years but gave up my 9900 for a Samsung note 2 because I needed a larger screen size for reading emails. Poor battery performance, no push email and security issues sent me back to my 9900 and now I just recently upgraded to the Z30.

I have encrypted my device and I need to know will Device encryption on the BB Z30 10.2.1.2997 protect my data (contacts, email, documents etc. ) from being accessed by android apps with allowed permissions. Does giving an app permissions supersede encryption on the device or once a device is encrypted all permissions become a mute point.

I am concerned that even though I have a device password and encryption enable that my information is still going to be compromised by some android apps that are loaded on my Blackberry Z30. My instincts say that Blackberry is smart enough to have thought of that, can someone please explain how or if blackberry 10 has protected device data against android apps data mining.
    Last edited by trenchtown13; 09-17-14 at 09:50 AM. Reason: adding information
    09-17-14 09:40 AM
    This is a VERY good question.

It's still unclear how the interaction with Android works.
    09-17-14 09:55 AM
    A clear answer would be nice. But im leaning towards probably not. They probably have access to what ever permissions they ask for.

What would be sweet is a fake set of permissions to apply to android apps. Ie you dont want to give an app microphone and camera permissions cause its a feature of the particular app you wont use. So having a dummy permissions enabled for the app. Then it will still run causr it thinks it has the permission but for me I know that that it doesn't. Yay everyone is happy from a security point of view. Now if android would adopt bb10 ui life would be good

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    09-17-14 10:05 AM
    Device encryption on BB 10 devices will not protect data from being accessed by Android apps if the user grants those apps the permission to access the data.

It's very simple to test this, by the way.
    09-17-14 10:08 AM
    Hi does anyone have an answer to this question or should I post this on another thread
    09-19-14 09:49 AM
    Hi does anyone have an answer to this question or should I post this on another thread
    Do you have a problem reading the answers? Your question has already been solved. What part of the answer you don't understand?
    09-19-14 10:04 AM
    Please read post #4

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 11:12 AM
    I am concerned that even though I have a device password and encryption enable that my information is still going to be compromised by some android apps that are loaded on my Blackberry Z30.
    Your concern is reasonable.

I would recommend you Titan Files

Similarily to BlackBerry Balance (only available for BES users) Titan Files encrypts the selected files and hides them from other apps.
    Unfortunately Titan Files is using only the internal device storage and not the SD card, but hey, your Z30 has 16GB internal storage.. that's quite a lot.

Just to avoid any misunderstanding:
    For apps from BB World you have the feature Permission Control and in most cases you can selectively accept/reject each single permission.
    I have many apps which work well without any of the requested permission.

With the upcoming OS 10.3 version you will be able to selectively control the permissions for apk apps from the Amazon app store (and other,non-official apk sources).
    09-19-14 04:13 PM