Almost five years since her Bold 9650, and an android user in between I managed to convince the wife to return to Blackberry and give Z30 a try as a replacement of her Galaxy S3. Got her a pretty good deal on the Z30 btw. (S3 was becoming increasingly slow with latest OS versions)

So she is in her second week already and here are her main gripes so far:

1. Email accounts
    - Yahoo mail - seems it's not a real push service and she was comparing how mails arrive instantly on the S3 and take a while to arrive on the Z30. I researched the topic and it seems rather a Yahoo issue, but still, it does arrive instantly on her S3.

- Gmail - she is quite used to the category tabs in the gmail inbox, which don't show on the Z30. I researched this topic and there's no solution so far for this as these (social, promotions etc...) are only filtered views instead of IMAP folders that can be set to sync.

2. Contacts app
    - no option to assign a primary/default number within a contact with several numbers
    - call log randomly shows number only instead of contact name (VERY annoying, and since I have that on my Q10 I just had to take that on the chin for the sake of Blackberry who still haven't fixed this!...)
    - saving a new number defaults to a 'work' category - Why?

3. Apps
    - general comment is that they seem to run slowly (she installed Amazon store and Snap and is on 10.2.1.3062); She ain't much of an app person but the few she uses (myfitnesspal in particular) had issues
    - messenger for facebook (from BBW by nemory) doesn't work; she thinks it's because she got the lite (free) version
    - google maps - I tried to explain the Google services issue and as a roundabout offered to save a browser page to her desktop. She has the maps app downloaded from Snap but can't log and see her saved places and routes.

4. Bedtime mode
    - she recalled the BBOS version where settings allowed data to be off and only phone to be on. I agree current bedtime mode is sub par. Also, Android has data on/off in the quick settings while in 10.2.1 it takes an extra step to reach.

5. Separate volume levels for different apps - again an Android AND BBOS feature missing in BB10...

6. No BBW notifications for available app updates - don't know why but she gets no spark when an update is available. This happens sometimes on my Q10 as well.

7. No input language support for our native Bulgarian language...what can I say here apart that Blackberry sucks big time in this regard and Bulgarian is not the only victimized language...iOS, Android as well as BBOS have it. BB10 doesn't care to add what is probably a 40kb file...

PROs so far and she is quite a fan for them:
    - keyboard
    - reader mode
    - the hub
    - the hardware - solid feel and the glassweave back

So all in all my pitch for the best phone out there got trumped a bit but at least she is interested to try BB10 and get's more and more used to the gestures.

If you guys know any solutions to any of the above, I'd appreciate the help!
    Also, to all 10.3 / 10.3.1 users - are any of these taken care of???

Cheers!
    hobbyboy#CB likes this.
    12-13-14 12:14 PM
    Just 1 fix I can add. Search the android app section of forum for "cobalt's Google apps landing page" and download the Google login apk.
    Once installed, go to 'accounts'. And sign in her Gmail account. Then Google maps will be able to see saved places.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-14 12:21 PM
    Almost five years since her Bold 9650, and an android user in between I managed to convince the wife to return to Blackberry and give Z30 a try as a replacement of her Galaxy S3. Got her a pretty good deal on the Z30 btw. (S3 was becoming increasingly slow with latest OS versions)

1. Email accounts
    - Yahoo mail - seems it's not a real push service and she was comparing how mails arrive instantly on the S3 and take a while to arrive on the Z30. I researched the topic and it seems rather a Yahoo issue, but still, it does arrive instantly on her S3.

- Gmail - she is quite used to the category tabs in the gmail inbox, which don't show on the Z30. I researched this topic and there's no solution so far for this as these (social, promotions etc...) are only filtered views instead of IMAP folders that can be set to sync.

2. Contacts app
    - no option to assign a primary/default number within a contact with several numbers
    - call log randomly shows number only instead of contact name (VERY annoying, and since I have that on my Q10 I just had to take that on the chin for the sake of Blackberry who still haven't fixed this!...)

3. Apps
    - general comment is that they seem to run slowly (she installed Amazon store and Snap and is on 10.2.1.3062); She ain't much of an app person but the few she uses (myfitnesspal in particular) had issues
    - messenger for facebook (from BBW by nemory) doesn't work; she thinks it's because she got the lite (free) version
    - google maps - I tried to explain the Google services issue and as a roundabout offered to save a browser page to her desktop. She has the maps app downloaded from Snap but can't log and see her saved places and routes.

4. Bedtime mode
    - she recalled the BBOS version where settings allowed data to be off and only phone to be on. I agree current bedtime mode is sub par. Also, Android has data on/off in the quick settings while in 10.2.1 it takes an extra step to reach.

5. Separate volume levels for different apps - again an Android AND BBOS feature missing in BB10...

6. No BBW notifications for available app updates - don't know why but she gets no spark when an update is available. This happens sometimes on my Q10 as well.

7. No input language support for our native Bulgarian language...what can I say here apart that Blackberry sucks big time in this regard and Bulgarian is not the only victimized language...iOS, Android as well as BBOS have it. BB10 doesn't care to add what is probably a 40kb file...

- keyboard
    - reader mode
    - the hub

So all in all my pitch for the best phone out there got trumped a bit but at least she is interested to try BB10 and get's more and more used to the gestures.

Cheers!
    Yes! Install the latest leak.
    Android apps like Microsoft Office works perfect! Others too.
    Seperate volume levels are present, bedtime works....over al-install the 10.3.1 leak

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-13-14 12:53 PM
    Just 1 fix I can add. Search the android app section of forum for "cobalt's Google apps landing page" and download the Google login apk.
    Once installed, go to 'accounts'. And sign in her Gmail account. Then Google maps will be able to see saved places.

Posted via CB10
    Cheers! Just looked it up. Seems 10.3.1 is needed for best results because of the Android 4.3 runtime. I also got a bit confused between the different components (Google login, BlackBerry Google id, Google play services, Google Play Store - needed if one has Snap?, patching) but will read more in detail and decide what to do. Thanks again!

BlaQberry10
    12-13-14 01:18 PM
    Yes! Install the latest leak.
    Android apps like Microsoft Office works perfect! Others too.
    Seperate volume levels are present, bedtime works....over al-install the 10.3.1 leak

Posted via CB10
    Haven't done leaks so far but seems 10.3.1 is patching a lot of BBOS-BB10 gaps! Tempted now!....

BlaQberry10
    12-13-14 01:20 PM
    Can you use Russian language for Bulgarian texts? Все буквы вашего алфавита есть в нашем, даже ъ
    12-13-14 01:31 PM
    Regarding accessing the data button,
    I downloaded any apps i wanted from blackberry world and there is one for making document shortcuts, which also works on system buttons. You can create a shortcut to your home screen which opens your mobile network screen.

Slight correction, i did that with my Z10 not my Z30. My atnt Z10 is still stuck on 10.1.0.2019 until i find a wifi connection that is stable, anyway, the Z30 has mobile network in the pulldown menu so one swipe and one press gets you there. But if she wants the one button shortcut instead i am sure she can get it.

It is interesting to hear what an android user finds defective in blackberry.

What about all the pushware data-sucking spy-apps that that AREN'T there, i think she will come to appreciate that as she realizes the difference.

Its called DocuShortcut in BB World.
    12-13-14 02:13 PM
    Especially for the apps part i advise you to take the blitz leak of 10.3.1.1151. Most of android apps i use work almost fluently now.

I guess the bedtime mode will actually be adapted to the old version sooner or later.

On the leak i am missing that i can switch volume mode into vibration mode or silent mode with the volume keys. I always have to go to the profile settings and change it there. Thats one negative thing about the leak.
    12-13-14 02:26 PM
    I have the latest leaked 10.3.1 on my Z30. You can fix the data in bedside mode with a setting. I don't know if this will work in 10.2.1.xxxx however. Open the Clock app and pull down from the top to see SETTINGS. Select BATTERY SAVING MODE SETTINGS. Check the box next to TURN OFF DATA SERVICES. Now, back out to CLOCK SETTINGS (one page back) and hit the button next to BATTERY SAVING IN BEDSIDE MODE. Now, when your wife's Z30 goes into bedside mode, data will be secured.
    12-13-14 03:20 PM
    Or switch to an iPhone and all problems solved
    12-13-14 11:20 PM

1. Email accounts

This seems to be more of a Yahoo mail delivery issue then a Blackberry's fault, but I can see how it can be irritating to the end user. Did a quick search and it would seem that other Yahoo mail users opted to move to a more reliable service like Outlook.com or Gmail. The other option is to open up a Gmail or Outlook.com account and then log into you Yahoo mail and forward it to the newly created mail account of choice. Then you would simply add the newly created email account to your BB10 device in place of your Yahoo mail account. Not sure how good of a work around this option is, but it seems to have worked for others.

I have 3 gmail accounts synced to my Z30 and not once did I notice what you're referring too. I'm not saying it's not an issue but it just goes to show you different people have different priorities in mind. Perhaps you can download a Android apk of the Gmail app.

2. Contacts app
    Agreed, this needs to be fixed. That being said I haven't run into a situation yet or that I can recall it causing an issue. Most of the contact numbers I deem important, are on speed dial.
    This is only in 10.2.1. If you upgrade to a leak OS like 10.3.1.1154, you'll see the contact name and number in the call logs.
    I think this is just the way the UI element has been coded. There are more then one option to choice from so it's up to the user to designate what type of contact number you're saving. This isn't an actual issue, it's just not what you your wife prefer.

3. Apps

I'm going to some this entire section up by saying you just need to upgrade to 10.3.1.xxxx. The android runtime version is much smoother, it's just a much better experience with the android integration. That being said, not all android apps work perfectly within the runtime and yes there will always be apps that require Google Services that we can't run on a Blackberry. But if you do a little research, you should be able to find alternatives for almost anything out there now.

4. Bedtime mode

10.3.1 bedside mode has a bunch of new setting options including turning off data services, location services, advanced interactions, limiting CPU performance etc.

Again something that's available in 10.3.1.

Yes, this is very annoying and just one of those things she'll learn to live with. This used to occur on the BBOS as well.

Can't help you here, sorry.

- keyboard
    - reader mode
    - the hub

Really?! That's all her PRO's? What about battery life, amazing speakers, fluidity of the OS, true multitasking? And not that your wife would use these options but USB OTG, Miracast, Advanced Interactions (10..3.1 option) and the list goes on and on............

Cheers!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-13-14 11:21 PM
    Worst advise ever guy! Especially because the OP's wife was primarily an Android user in the first place. Her adoption of BB10, should be a much smoother transition IMO then moving to any other platform.

It's a learning curve for the OP's wife and the OP is doing the right thing by coming on CB and sharing both his/her views and asking questions. Don't be responding back with the "you don't like it go get an iPhone" view of things.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    JG_Agustin, CerveloJohn and JedN3d like this.
    12-13-14 11:38 PM
    OP you can select the sync all folder for your wive's email accounts that will show all Golders.

It's settings then accounts then select account then edit folders.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-25-14 06:03 PM
    Worst advise ever guy! Especially because the OP's wife was primarily an Android user in the first place. Her adoption of BB10, should be a much smoother transition IMO then moving to any other platform.

It's a learning curve for the OP's wife and the OP is doing the right thing by coming on CB and sharing both his/her views and asking questions. Don't be responding back with the "you don't like it go get an iPhone" view of things.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    If you're gonna compare learning curve between iOS and BB10, it"s pretty obvious as to which is the clear winner.

Posted from a D618
    12-25-14 06:30 PM
    If you're gonna compare learning curve between iOS and BB10, it"s pretty obvious as to which is the clear winner.

Posted from a D618
    Really?! Give a hard core BlackBerry user and ask them to use an iPhone. Sit back and watch as they try and figure out how things we take for granted like a unified inbox are virtually non-existent in iOS. Mind you, I haven't used iOS for a very long time but I know nothing like the hub exists. So something being intuitive is really up to the user.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    JG_Agustin and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-25-14 09:55 PM
    My biggest advice OP is to update OS to 10.3.1.
    I can confirm it irons out a lot of the bugs on 10.2 mainly contacts, and email delay.
    I receive instant notifications on my yahoo account without any delay whatsoever.
    Now once you do go to Cobalt's official Android thread.
    You will have to download only the following.
    Blackberry Android ID.
    Android settings
    Google Account.
    Then follow the steps take the latest google maps work. They're also mentioned on the thread.
    Do not even bother with Google Play Services.(GooglePS)
    Explain to her apps dependent on GooglePS will require the Lucky Patcher work around and still may not fully run.
    So don't even get her through that. It may completely discourage her from learning.
    Now make sure you always download from the Amazon or Aptoide BB store.
    Reason is those apps will work flawlessly as they just don't use the GooglePS APIs.
    Good luck!

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    12-25-14 10:59 PM
    I believe the OP wants to solve this in a way that helps her stay on her Z30.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-25-14 11:05 PM
    @OP. I'd use the blitz method to upgrade her if you can. It is so easy and non-destructive.

She really needs to be on 10.3.1 to get the best Android performance.

Yahoo has push for iOS. And probably for the stock Android client. On blackberry 10 it'll set up as a standard IMAP account. No push. That's really up to Yahoo to support. You can turn on "Use Push if supported". But it won't work. Gmail pushes to blackberry 10. So does Outlook.com via EAS. Not sure what yahoo's problem is in doing so.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-25-14 11:12 PM
    Im so glad the Iphones never have any issues, and only BB's have all the issues, what is up with people?

So tired of hearing how only BB's are not up to snuff, can you load leaks on a apple? I think not unless you jail break or what ever its called.

YA to me BlackBerry will always be the best, has she forgot about security? That is never a consideration for the Sheep of apple but your cool having a apple, ya right
    PatrickMJS and JG_Agustin like this.
    12-26-14 09:58 AM
    She font have to download fb messenger, the fb app worked perfectly like before you can send messages to any contact, just like you did before fb messenger came about
    3vilPeT3 and mkelley65 like this.
    12-26-14 01:56 PM
    I get notifications when they is an app update in bbw, are you sure it's a bbw app and not a amazon app that didn't give notification?
    PatrickMJS and mkelley65 like this.
    12-26-14 01:58 PM
    The BlackBerry Hub can send message to FB with FB Messenger. Just install the default BlackBerry FB Apps. You don't need the FB Messenger like android to send messages to FB contacts.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 11:25 PM
    4. Bedtime mode
    ------------

You can change the settings for being in bedside mode to allow for data to be off & phone to be on only.

When in the clock
    - pull down for the menu
    - choose the Clock Settings
    - in Clock Settings
    - the defaults is Wireless connection and phone is off while in bedside mode
    - 1st Turn on, Wireless connection
    - 2nd turn, on phone
    - 3rd turn off, Wireless connection

Hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 01:15 AM
    Really?! Give a hard core BlackBerry user and ask them to use an iPhone. Sit back and watch as they try and figure out how things we take for granted like a unified inbox are virtually non-existent in iOS. Mind you, I haven't used iOS for a very long time but I know nothing like the hub exists. So something being intuitive is really up to the user.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    I mentioned the lack of hub on iPhone to my son he has 5c he said they do have something similar so far every feature I mention they seem to have?
    Admittedly when I tried the ios I found it better than android but not as smooth as bb10.

Posted by my splendid Z10
    12-27-14 03:51 AM
    I'm running latest 10.3.1.1154 leak, and while Android apps do seem to be more fluid, Myfitnesspal performance sucks.

I'd almost guess they've coded it to run slow!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 06:38 AM
47 12