08-23-13 07:02 PM
78 1234
tools
    How do you know? are you an insider? or do you test one of those "5"
    Please don't mislead the community.

Every previous leaked phone spec was right what makes you think this one is wrong?

I'm hoping that you are right and it is indeed under control. We all want BlackBerry to succeed.

Posted via CB10
    Actually there are going to be STA100-1 thru 5,

3 different configurations have been tested as per paperwork and code found in OS's

Posted via CB10
    BB10QNX likes this.
    08-09-13 11:14 PM
    Thanks Kris.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 11:16 PM
    People that own 720p TVs also say specs don't matter since most viewers sit 7 to 10 feet away and shows are broadcast in 720p. But guess what, most consumers opted for 1080p TVs 4 or 5 years ago. Now they're saying 4K is stupid. Let's revisit that comment 4 years from now and by then 8K TVs will be in the discussion. Like it or not, no matter how efficient the system gets, the specs will continue to go up and consumers insure themselves by buying the most recent spec product. This applies to refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, washers, and phones.
    I totally agree. Well said.
    How many of us are going out there asking for 720p, 60hz tvs this day?..is the experience that bad...no but everyone always wants the latest and greatest...so do specs matter. of course. Heck they can atleast get a better camera than the current 8mp.
    08-10-13 12:10 AM
    OP the fact you're running antutu benchmarks is just funny, not even mentioning you're ruining it in a sandboxed runtime, that will be equivalent to running prime 95 on virtual machine.

Specs might matter to us geeks, but seriously ask people why the buy iPhone or SG, the majority will give you hundreds of reasons but none of them related to hardware specs.

PS: I can take better pics with my Z10 then my two brothers using iPhone or SG4.
    BB10QNX and Alberta Blue like this.
    08-10-13 12:19 AM
    I for one doesn't find the specs for a blackberry phone to ba an issue. I mean all the specs of legacy devices has not been the best compared to their counterparts and yet many people still love their bb. Take the bold 9900, not one with the highest specs but a lot of users still love it. Performance-wise, the hardware was built just right for the OS.
    Besides, with a lot of different specs, it's hard for me to choose the right phone. I've been considering buying an android phone for months but can't figure out which one to buy because of the damn specs. I don't have a lot of money so I really need to be careful of what I buy. I don't want to buy a lower spec phone and experience a slow down when using it. That's why I love my Z10, it's specs may not rival the competition, but at least I know that even if the specs aren't the best, I know that my phone will run smoothly. So far my Z10 hasn't disappointed me yet.
    BB10QNX, illlya and Alberta Blue like this.
    08-10-13 12:26 AM
    Specs matter if I was comparing between Android or Windows Phone phones. Specs don't matter when I'm comparing phones of different OS'es... what the OS can do for me matters then.
    BB10QNX, illlya, LWKING and 1 others like this.
    08-10-13 01:32 AM
    Except your using a android runtime bench mark on the Z10 which obviously fails, because it can't even get the Z10 screen size right

Oh not to mention Sammy cheats on the bench mark game, that's been proven
    Have I not seen arguments that Android runtime works just like Dalvik on Android thrown around?
    08-10-13 01:58 AM
    Except your using a android runtime bench mark on the Z10 which obviously fails, because it can't even get the Z10 screen size right

Oh not to mention Sammy cheats on the bench mark game, that's been proven
    Yup haha. Well said.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    08-10-13 02:24 AM
    The Z10 and the AT&T S3 have the same SoC, same CPU, same GPU so their specs are pretty much similar.

THose who say specs don't matter are pretty clueless. The Average customer doesn't know how many TFLOPS the GPU can drive or even know what GPU is in a phone, true. But the Average Customer knows the 'buzzwords' like Quad Core and MegaPixel Count and FullHD. These are even lovingly spelt out on cards beside each phone.

So when a clueless customer walks into an AT&T shop and sees that the S4 has a higher megapixel count than the Z10, has Quad Core vs Dual Core and has 'FullHD 1080p' beside the S4, he doesn't KNOW what these means 100%, but he KNOWS they mean one is better than the other.

In other words, he's comparing specs.

I know If i were buying phones and was totally clueless, i'd believe that any Quad core > Dual Core, even though this is not strictly true.
    Ditto for camera Megapixel count. If specs didn't matter to John Q Public, why did we have the 'megapixel wars' in point & shoot cameras some years ago?
    1magine and Donvald like this.
    08-10-13 03:30 AM
    Everybody has his/her own opinion about the specs. Some people buy their phones based on the public opinion, some based the design, brand, size and of course specs.
    So, why specs do matter for many of us? I think because it determines the user experience. Many of you will argue with me, however you need to prove your point.

Please see the attached pictures these are the “AnTuTu Benchmark” result Blackberry Z10 STL100-3 AT&T, OS 10.2.0.1047 (4.2.2 runtime from OS 10.2.0.810) VS Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T OS 4.1.1

As you can see the Z10 did not withstand the competition, you can argue that this is a Android test, but hey 80% of our useful apps are Android ports and unfortunately we are not going to see any big changes in the near future. Therefore we need a new device with the best specs in the phone market in order to withstand the harsh competition.

A10/Z30 is a looser at its origin agree or not agree that’s a fact!!!
    It could be buggy.

Moto X or LG G2? Why specs alone aren't enough to decide:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ugh-to-decide/
    08-10-13 05:18 AM
    There is this myth in these forums that the average customer is clueless. This is far from the truth today in the internet age. As with most purchases, be it cars, laptops or tvs, majority customers research online prior to any big purchase decision. The reason is they will be stuck with the phone for two to three years.

They read the reviews. They confer with friends and colleagues with greater technical knowledge. They place more trust in the individuals in their social network than some sales rep at the carriers. The "clueless" customer walking into a carrier store is a small minority. Majority of customers know what they are looking for and are not dissuaded by a part-time sales rep making minimum wage.

Guess what, it's price that drives smartphone purchases, not features:
    The Mobility Hub - Paul Korzeniowski - Price, Not Features, Driving Smartphone Purchases

Press Release - 2012 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study and 2012 U.S. Wireless Traditional Mobile Phone Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

Probably explains why iPhone 4S continues to outsell iPhone 5. And BB7 phones still outsell BB10 phones.

So when a clueless customer walks into an AT&T shop and sees that the S4 has a higher megapixel count than the Z10, has Quad Core vs Dual Core and has 'FullHD 1080p' beside the S4, he doesn't KNOW what these means 100%, but he KNOWS they mean one is better than the other.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 08-10-13 at 07:18 AM.
    1magine, Donvald, grover5 and 2 others like this.
    08-10-13 05:51 AM
    Sleuth - may just want to change - or better yet remove the 100%. It's a wholly inaccurate stat in an otherwise very well expressed post.
    08-10-13 07:13 AM
    There is this myth in these forums that the average customer is clueless. This is far from the truth today in the internet age. As with most purchases, be it cars, laptops or tvs, majority customers research online prior to any big purchase decision. The reason is they will be stuck with the phone for two to three years.
    The majority do research? This is based on what, exactly? I can offer an equally unsupported viewpoint: have you ever stood in a cellular store or tech retailer and watched the people coming in to buy, get help, etc.? It's a sea of misinformed, undereducated, clueless, careless consumers that want someone to point them in the right direction and/or confirm their limited knowledge of the item. Once in a while someone will come in that knows what they want, has done their research, and is educated to a level that they will make an informed purchase. But most of the time? Nope... the consumers have no clue, even when they think they do.

I have no doubt that the typical cycle goes something like this: the consumer sees a commercial and thinks "I want that." They drive down to the store and look for that item. They find it, talk with the sales person a bit to confirm what they saw on the commercial, buy it, and take it home. That's the extent of their "research."

You may have faith that most people are educated these days, but I don't. I have had a long history of dealing with the public, and in doing so I have seen people who think that backing up on the interstate because they missed their exit is a safe and reasonable thing to do, think that cashing that random, unsolicited, and clearly forged check they got in the mail is a reasonable thing to do, and think that telling me "I don't smoke pot" while marijuana crumbs drip from their mouth after they attempted to hide their stash by eating it will convince me that they don't actually smoke pot. If these people exist (and they do, in great numbers), then I have no faith that the majority of consumers out there actually do any reasonable form of research before buying. They're all one in the same... clueless.
    08-10-13 08:05 AM
    Have I not seen arguments that Android runtime works just like Dalvik on Android thrown around?
    just like in any virtual machine it runs sandboxed, which means does not have access to all of the hardware features
    08-10-13 08:26 AM
    My, my, how superior you must feel. You should look up confirmation bias:
    Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand by what I say as I know District Sales Managers in charge of Rogers Wireless stores. Their biggest frustration is sales reps in the carrier stores not spending enough time on their training (difficult to keep up when a new Android model arrives every week.) Customer service does not go well when reps at carriers answer customer questions with more questions than answers. Customer service is not great at carriers due to part-time sales reps paid minimum wage.

The majority do research? This is based on what, exactly? I can offer an equally unsupported viewpoint: have you ever stood in a cellular store or tech retailer and watched the people coming in to buy, get help, etc.? It's a sea of misinformed, undereducated, clueless, careless consumers that want someone to point them in the right direction and/or confirm their limited knowledge of the item. Once in a while someone will come in that knows what they want, has done their research, and is educated to a level that they will make an informed purchase. But most of the time? Nope... the consumers have no clue, even when they think they do.

I have no doubt that the typical cycle goes something like this: the consumer sees a commercial and thinks "I want that." They drive down to the store and look for that item. They find it, talk with the sales person a bit to confirm what they saw on the commercial, buy it, and take it home. That's the extent of their "research."

You may have faith that most people are educated these days, but I don't. I have had a long history of dealing with the public, and in doing so I have seen people who think that backing up on the interstate because they missed their exit is a safe and reasonable thing to do, think that cashing that random, unsolicited, and clearly forged check they got in the mail is a reasonable thing to do, and think that telling me "I don't smoke pot" while marijuana crumbs drip from their mouth after they attempted to hide their stash by eating it will convince me that they don't actually smoke pot. If these people exist (and they do, in great numbers), then I have no faith that the majority of consumers out there actually do any reasonable form of research before buying. They're all one in the same... clueless.
    08-10-13 08:33 AM
    That may be so, but I've read many reviews of the Z10 and the camera is a universal weak point. Perhaps 10.1 addressed some of the issues, but I think it will be hard for Blackberry to overcome the weak camera reputation - especially if the Z30 launches with something that will be perceived as similar to the Z10's camera (I know that the sensor rumored for the Z10 is supposed to have somewhat better low-light sensitivity, but will consumers think it is good enough, given the fierce competition?).

Loses? Lol I get some pretty damn good pictures on my Q10 and Z10, you must be doing something wrong

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:01 AM

They read the reviews. They confer with friends and colleagues with greater technical knowledge. They place more trust in the individuals in their social network than some sales rep at the carriers. The "clueless" customer walking into a carrier store is a small minority. Majority of customers know what they are looking for and are not dissuaded by a part-time sales rep making minimum wage.

Guess what, it's price that drives smartphone purchases, not features:
    The Mobility Hub - Paul Korzeniowski - Price, Not Features, Driving Smartphone Purchases

Press Release - 2012 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study and 2012 U.S. Wireless Traditional Mobile Phone Satisfaction Study | J.D. Power

Probably explains why iPhone 4S continues to outsell iPhone 5. And BB7 phones still outsell BB10 phones.
    I couldn't agree more. I know many folks who recently renewed their contracts with an S3 because it was free and they didn't see enough difference to warrant dropping $200 on an S4.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-13 10:11 AM
    I think people do care about specs simply 'cause it's a general standard for comparison. I realize that Windows phones do not need highest specs to run smoothly but people keep compare them with Android devices (which will be very laggy while using same specs). Apple has done really well 'cause of their customers' perception. From the way they call the processor to the GPU, Apple are trying to make people not to compare between them and others (we will have plenty Android devices with "Snapdragon XXX" but only one "Apple A6" processor) !

If BlackBerry want to win the race, they could start with customers' perception like what they've done with BBOS devices before.
    08-10-13 10:28 AM
    My, my, how superior you must feel.
    Nope. I don't feel this way at all.

You should look up confirmation bias:
    Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Perhaps I should add to my list of examples "people that think using Wikipedia as a reliable reference is acceptable".

I stand by what I say as I know District Sales Managers in charge of Rogers Wireless stores. Their biggest frustration is sales reps in the carrier stores not spending enough time on their training (difficult to keep up when a new Android model arrives every week.) Customer service does not go well when reps at carriers answer customer questions with more questions than answers. Customer service is not great at carriers due to part-time sales reps paid minimum wage.
    I don't disagree with this at all. Customer service, whether in cellular stores, retail outlets such as Best Buy, or on the phone, is sorely lacking. What I do disagree with is your notion that customers, on average, are more educated when making their purchases. I believe they are, on average, less educated when making purchases. But it is what it is. At the end of the day, it doesn't make any difference one way or the other which one of us is correct.
    08-10-13 10:33 AM
    BlackBerry needs to have the snapdragon 800 on the Z30 if they want it to be future proof. They could clock the speed as lowest as they want it to but they need that chipset.

It supports lots of features that could be one day be useful like Video HDR, Always listening microphone, charges faster and battery efficiency which BlackBerry really needs for standby time.

Posted via CB10
    Future proof? We know all devices are obsolete within 6 months of being release. this applies to pc/mac and smartphones. A new model is being introduce every 12 months and this what drives the mobile business.
    08-10-13 10:49 AM
    The Z10 and the AT&T S3 have the same SoC, same CPU, same GPU so their specs are pretty much similar.

THose who say specs don't matter are pretty clueless. The Average customer doesn't know how many TFLOPS the GPU can drive or even know what GPU is in a phone, true. But the Average Customer knows the 'buzzwords' like Quad Core and MegaPixel Count and FullHD. These are even lovingly spelt out on cards beside each phone.

In other words, he's comparing specs.

I know If i were buying phones and was totally clueless, i'd believe that any Quad core > Dual Core, even though this is not strictly true.
    Ditto for camera Megapixel count. If specs didn't matter to John Q Public, why did we have the 'megapixel wars' in point & shoot cameras some years ago?
    Then the consumer is being led by the nose by the marketing spiel. The megapixels count is misleading because it is software interpolation that determines the quality of the image. I have taken pics with a Nokia 925 that outperform the galaxy S4. IIRC the 925 has an 8.7 mega pixel camera.
    08-10-13 11:27 AM
    Yes future proof is very important, look at the Iphone 3gs it is running latest IOS look at Blackberry torch 9800 cant run the BB torch 9810 OS7.0

That's what I call future proof. look at the Playbook cant run the BB OS10 many will say we haven't been promised by Blackberry, but hey Iphone 3gs users haven't been promised that their device will run the IOS 6.x.x.
    08-10-13 11:31 AM
    I am no Apple expert but doesn't the latest Is only run on the last 2 iterations?
    08-10-13 11:38 AM
    guys... i am really annoyed about people arguing about specs or no specs or dead on arrival. its simple: if you want specs, buy Android. if you want an experiance, buy BB or Apple. That's it. Everyone has their preferences.
    08-10-13 01:22 PM
    guys... i am really annoyed about people arguing about specs or no specs or dead on arrival. its simple: if you want specs, buy Android. if you want an experiance, buy BB or Apple. That's it. Everyone has their preferences.
    I think the Moto X is going to change that.

My personal view on specs is that I'm mostly interested in big specs because they allow the device to hang around longer, if you're the type who keeps one. I generally go through 1-2 a year, so its rarely an issue for me, but when I was selling to regular folks, it was a point I'd put out there for them to use in deciding.

And for the people who say more people do their homework on this stuff before shopping, anecdotally, I disagree. In my experience, there are more informed than there used to be, but the number is still a lot smaller than those who are "laymen" to the tech world. (Granted, not a scientific study, but a fairly solid 10 years and thousands of people worth of observations)
    08-10-13 02:00 PM
78 1234