12-08-13 07:29 PM
41 12
tools
    I've had a Verizon 9930 for a couple years, other BB models before that. I've been loathe to move to a virtual keyboard, and I didn't move to the Q series due to the trackpad removal. For my twitchy fingers, the trackpad is the bomb for all the cutting and pasting I do.

But the Z30 was intriguing. I upgraded my Verizon device from 9930 to the Z30 and had it for 12 days before returning it.

The display was fine, bright enough for me. The keyboard was really good, I could see myself getting quite used to using it, thought I wish the flick word suggestions were available all the time (I never saw the word suggestions when, for instance, composing an sms message).

I found the device large and heavy, coming as I am from a 9930. I could probably get used to that.

What drove me crazy was how I would inadvertently activate the volume rocker when picking the phone up and/or when adjusting grip while trying to do a bit of one handed usage. I realized I just couldn't live with this annoyance on a daily basis.

Comparing the Z30 volume rocker to the 9930, the Z30's is just very sensitive to pressure. I can flip and turn my 9930 any number of ways, pick up and put down all while man-handling the volume rocker and never actually activate the controls, but on the Z30 the gentlest of touches will activate the control.

My other concern was the camera delay, on flash shots, between activating the camera and the shutter release, upwards of 3-4 seconds, I guess while the focus is being adjusted.

Back to the 9930 and waiting to see what else BB pulls out of their near bankrupt hat...
    Rafski likes this.
    12-06-13 08:09 PM
    Really? The volume rocker being sensitive and the camera delay on a flash shot made you go back to 9930? which arguably has the worst camera for a flagship phone ever.

Sent from my Z30
    12-06-13 08:11 PM
    I'm moving from my trusty and beloved 9930 to the Z30 as well, but while the camera delay (allows for the Time Shift) may bother some, it doesn't me. I definitely don't find the Z30 heavy or awkward. Going into my 3rd year with the 9930, handling the Z30 doesn't seem to be an "adjustment", probably due to the nice balance and back shape. I will miss many things about my 9930 but the new I've experienced with the Z30 appear to outweigh them. I may change my mind after more than the few hours I've spent on the 30, but I doubt it.

That being said, you're doing the right thing. No point in keeping a device that has features or things that bug you. You'll just turn into a bitter CB Troll The 9930 is a great phone and communication monster, but I'm attracted to a lot BB10 has to offer and the Z30 seems to be a great platform for it.
    12-06-13 08:31 PM
    I think you were in time shifts mode when using the camera that's why you were fed up! And the volume rocker, live with it, the 30 has everything better than the 9930

Posted via CB10
    vptsff likes this.
    12-06-13 08:42 PM
    It's hard to believe a business smartphone needs a "camera". Anyway, maybe your volume switches were a little sensitive, mine don't seem to move much.
    12-06-13 08:51 PM
    Maybe just a troll.... I don't believe a word... but maybe the OP is right... maybe I have become a troll... aah... friday night is here.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 08:54 PM
    Why don't you give the Q10 a try? Just like the 9930/9900, but much better in my opinion.
    12-06-13 08:58 PM
    It's hard to believe a business smartphone needs a "camera".
    No camera = no sales

Posted via Verizon Z30
    12-06-13 09:23 PM
    Ya the buttons are annoying but a pretty minor annoyance compared with how sweet the rest if the package is.
    jrohland likes this.
    12-06-13 10:21 PM
    That's your biggest gripe? You got rid of a phone because you may turn the volume up accidently and you may have had the wrong setting on the camera? Wow I think we got lucky on this one. To each his own. Enjoy whatever makes you happy.
    12-06-13 10:53 PM
    Hahahahhahahahahahhahahaha, what a terrible reason to return a phone!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    velkod and Kimberella like this.
    12-06-13 10:56 PM
    anything will be a terrible reason if it's not your reason
    12-06-13 11:08 PM
    Have you tried the z10? Why go back to os7.1?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:09 PM
    Be nice everybody. Only because he doesn't love the z30. Does not give you the right to called him out. He has his reasons. If you do not agree with his reason maybe because each person have difference reasons. If you love it good for you. If you hate it good for you. If you go on imore you don't see members calling out other members for taking back thier iPhone. Relax people it's just a phone. If the 9930 works for him let him be happy. Do you call out Kevin and Adam for using a iPhone or Samsung?

Sorry for my venting but it's just a phone.

Maybe I am a troll because that the word that is use on Crackberry if you do not agree with people on here or have a open mind for reasons of taking back a BlackBerry . For the record I love z30, few thing I don't like but the z30 is a great phone.

Sorry and good luck to the OP

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:45 PM
    I agree with the OP...I just returned my coffee because it was too hot (I didnt feel like blowing at it) and oh the cup had tiny handle and I had to stick my pinkie out...I hate sticking my pickie out. It vexes me
    jon4400, canaris, velkod and 1 others like this.
    12-06-13 11:52 PM
    Be nice everybody. Only because he doesn't love the z30. Does not give you the right to called him out. He has his reasons. If you do not agree with his reason maybe because each person have difference reasons. If you love it good for you. If you hate it good for you. If you go on imore you don't see members calling out other members for taking back thier iPhone. Relax people it's just a phone. If the 9930 works for him let him be happy. Do you call out Kevin and Adam for using a iPhone or Samsung?

Sorry for my venting but it's just a phone.

Maybe I am a troll because that the word that is use on Crackberry if you do not agree with people on here or have a open mind for reasons of taking back a BlackBerry . For the record I love z30, few thing I don't like but the z30 is a great phone.

Sorry and good luck to the OP

Posted via CB10
    Of course everyone has their own opinions, doesn't mean someone can't argue their logic.
    The simple fact that a smartphone has 100+ reasons for ownership, to make a decision based on volume rocker is a little bit over the top. I wouldn't go back to renting an apartment if my house got a little cold.
    Make an adjustment and move on!

Posted via CB10
    bbdodgersdude likes this.
    12-07-13 12:00 AM
    I agree with the OP...I just returned my coffee because it was too hot (I didnt feel like blowing at it) and oh the cup had tiny handle and I had to stick my pinkie out...I hate sticking my pickie out. It vexes me
    Hahaha this made my day.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 12:07 AM
    I've had a Verizon 9930 for a couple years, other BB models before that. I've been loathe to move to a virtual keyboard, and I didn't move to the Q series due to the trackpad removal. For my twitchy fingers, the trackpad is the bomb for all the cutting and pasting I do.

But the Z30 was intriguing. I upgraded my Verizon device from 9930 to the Z30 and had it for 12 days before returning it.

The display was fine, bright enough for me. The keyboard was really good, I could see myself getting quite used to using it, thought I wish the flick word suggestions were available all the time (I never saw the word suggestions when, for instance, composing an sms message).

I found the device large and heavy, coming as I am from a 9930. I could probably get used to that.

What drove me crazy was how I would inadvertently activate the volume rocker when picking the phone up and/or when adjusting grip while trying to do a bit of one handed usage. I realized I just couldn't live with this annoyance on a daily basis.

Comparing the Z30 volume rocker to the 9930, the Z30's is just very sensitive to pressure. I can flip and turn my 9930 any number of ways, pick up and put down all while man-handling the volume rocker and never actually activate the controls, but on the Z30 the gentlest of touches will activate the control.

My other concern was the camera delay, on flash shots, between activating the camera and the shutter release, upwards of 3-4 seconds, I guess while the focus is being adjusted.

Back to the 9930 and waiting to see what else BB pulls out of their near bankrupt hat...
    This is true, the volume rockers can get in the way. I am experiencing the same issue. However it is not bothering me as much as it is bothering the op. 9930 is a different era phone. a dinosaur in its operation compared to the Z30, So 12 days is hardly enough time to understand the beast that the Z30 is , especially with .1055. So maybe you are ready for another brand where the rocker volume is not placed "there".
    12-07-13 12:09 AM

It's the same problem on the Z10. I agree with you that it is an annoyance, but unlike you I don't find it annoying enough to return the phone. I do hope that BlackBerry fixes the problem in the future since the problem seems to be carried over to the Z30.

The volume buttons are too sensitive on my Z10 making them very easy to accidentally press. I've gotten to used to it, but it still is annoying. A fix from BlackBerry on future phones would be appreciated.
    Last edited by bbzp; 12-07-13 at 01:03 AM.
    12-07-13 12:48 AM
    I don't find the volume keys sensitive at all. I do however find the mute/voice activation key sensitive. So bad to the point I don't have it being a convenience key for the voice control anymore.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 12:58 AM
    Some people aren't made to use the most current tech.

Being said I found that once you use a case on the z30 pretty much resolves that minor issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 12:59 AM
    Z30 is a new phone, we're all still trying to get feedback, and I just wanted to share my observations, for my usage, of an overly sensitive volume button vis-a-vis handling of the phone..

There may be 30 great things about the phone, but if I'm going to get annoyed by one thing everyday, well then...
    12-07-13 02:11 AM
    The camera is flashing and when it dims it makes the photo it just to late but that is mostly when it's total black. Reason is probably your lens is dirty. Also a little light makes the camera focus quicker so you get good pics of friends and family. So in total dark and dirty lens camera has problems to focus sometimes.

This photo was made in the pantry in total dark.

POSTED via my Z30 BEAST
    Attachment 227730
    Last edited by whatsever; 12-07-13 at 03:11 AM.
    12-07-13 02:37 AM
    I don't think it's a software nor a new technology issue nor has anything to do with new era phones per se. I think it's simply a mechanical design issue.
    12-07-13 03:15 AM
    Everyone is entitled to their own issues but just to let you know have you guys seen how sensitive the volume rocker was on the Samsung S3 and on the Nexus 4??? Absolutely terrible

Every time you went for the phone you'd end up screwing around with the volume

My wife owns a Samsung S3 and half the time anyone tries to reach her, her phone is accidently on mute because of the volume rocker

I haven't had the chance to play around with a Z30 however but be sure this issue does not exist on my Z10
    12-07-13 03:29 AM
41 12