I raised this issue in a thread about a specific battery app hoping that the developer might knows the in's and out's of Battery Usage.

This "sympton" has occurred more than a few times (4 or 5 or more episodes). I notice the battery really dropping fast after being removed from the charger. Losses of 15-20% within an hour. Plunging even more with loss of 60% in 3 or 4 hours. The Z30 will also be running hot. Opening Device Monitor shows that SYSTEM is using 25-40% of the power. Other processes are running 1 or 2% incuding bbm, etc.

I've looked at Task Manager (from bb world) which will show which Android apps are still running. While there are a few of them and killing them does not really close them (they will open in moment again), they are probably not the culprit since when this symptom is not happening, these android apps are still there.

So one question is what is lurking in the generic term SYSTEM? What is the phone doing in System?

Rebooting, both a Power Button - Restart and a two button (vol up/down) do not solve this issue. When the phone restarts, power plunge continues. (can't remove the battery from the Z30). So I recharge.

Sometimes this issue continues for two days or more. Then just as suddenly, all is NORMAL and runs normally for 3, 4, 6 days. Then just suddenly, SYSTEM is at it again, burning through the battery. (while I've looked, I've not noticed any particular issue with my cell service and this is happening in urban Seattle).

And, as I just discovered today, that person is NOT running a Leak. They have an official OS. I'm running 10.3.1.1949 Leak.

Here's some of what I captured from that other thread. No attrbution for my comments or the other person.

---------------- From the Battery App thread: -------------------------

"I.e. I rely on my phone (sad but true) so I don't risk to break it by installing leaks. Only running the latest official 10.2.x version.

Quite strange because as mentioned it happens a few days in a row and then everything returns to normal. "

"I guess maybe we should create a thread in the Leak Subforum but I was hoping to start with someone who might know the in's and out's of battery usage.

I mean I hate to jinx things but now for 3 days, it seems to be running pretty well. But this has happened about 5 or six times over the last few weeks. Sudden plunging of the battery and System was shown as using tons of power. Even a hard reset (both Vol buttons) would not fix it. It would continue plunging after the reset. Or normal power off. Last a day or two with the need to recharge during the day once or twice. Then back to normal. "

"
    Not necessarily a question about your app although its tracking info reveals the issue I'm trying to figure out. And you may know more about the battery process than others.

There are days, sometimes two in a row, sometimes with a longer stretch where SYSTEM burns through my battery. In 4 or 5 hours, with System running 25-40%. And the phone runs hot. What the heck is "lurking" in the System that can run through the battery so much? Wifi? Data? Poor Cell reception? Or some other processes that are grouped under "System"?

I've checked for Android apps but one day does not seem different from another other than System causes the battery to plunge and the phone to run hot. There's always some android app running in TaskManager. But today is good for me. 12 hours and System only used 17% with 49% remaining in the battery. Last week there were two days it was awful. Yup, running a Leak (1949) but have been for a while.

I'm trying to get a handle on this. So if you have ideas (or anyone else) I'd appreciate it."

-------------------

Any ideas? What is the vague SYSTEM do?
    02-13-15 12:00 PM
    Radio falls under system I believe. How's your signal?
    02-13-15 12:34 PM
    Mine has done a similar thing on a few occasions but very inconsistent and irregular, maybe 7 or 8 times in the past year. I wonder as well as to the signal relationship as the only times I've noticed the system drain is at home where I have a poor signal, unless I'm in range of our booster.

On another mentioned note F2, I've been using Task Manager almost as long as I've owned my Z30 and have noted several android apps that were very persistent in relaunching after killing. I did experience that after several kill/launch/kill cycles they would stay dead, at least for several hours. I eventually deleted all my android based apps except for Skype, which is the most persistent of all, in my experience. I still have to kill it several times a day. As to whether they are actually stopped or not, all I can go on is they don't show up on Task Manager and my memory goes back up as my cpu activity goes down during the killing. My battery life has improved since I started monitoring background running android apps and killing them.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 12:57 PM
    I have always assumed this was a case of indexing the drive or bad signal. Ask if there are like 1000's of messages on the phone?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-15 02:45 PM
    I THINK my signal is okay. I will definitely monitor more closely when this stuff happens although I thought I had looked it it - well, the little graphic in the upper right. Verizon. In and around home. The other day while out hiking my battery was fine and System was not excessive. But maybe from the steep hillside I got a better signal. Beside the little icon, is there another place to check cell signal strength?

Today, now that I raised this question, System is running high again.

I do have a crowded sd card but that has not changed.

SYSTEM just does this when it wants. Persists for a few days and then goes back to a reasonable cycle without excessive drain.

I don't have tons of messages on the phone. Only have two bbm chat groups and no indiv contacts. No TXT allowance so I don't text!!

As for those Android ghosts running when they want - they are generally consistent. That is they are the same with System nuts or not nuts.

Kindle and Amazon store are two very persistent ones.

I find Mega strange. I logged out of it so what is it trying to accomplish?

Starbucks pops up periodically and I only use it once a month!!!
    02-13-15 04:26 PM
    i've recently patched my android apps using 'advanced permisson manager', removing the 'run at system start' permission...

i'm trying to gauge the effectiveness but taskmanager wont download from bbw...saying network error, when other apps download fine.

does it actually show more info than the native task manager?

Posted via CB750
    02-14-15 09:10 AM
    i've recently patched my android apps using 'advanced permisson manager', removing the 'run at system start' permission...

i'm trying to gauge the effectiveness but taskmanager wont download from bbw...saying network error, when other apps download fine.

does it actually show more info than the native task manager?

Posted via CB750
    Interesting. Have you tried finding other "android" apps in BBWorld and tried downloading them? I wonder if your "tampering" affected all such apps? And if that is so, you might have to reverse your tinkering (allow them to run at start up), then download Task Manager and then try turning off the "run at start" again and see what happens.

Meanwhile, back to one of my questions..... Is there an inherent tool on the Z30 to show my signal strength for cell signal (or data) or a suggestion for a 3rd party app that does that? Thanks. I did jinx things - last evening, SYSTEM was doing it again. So I charged to 100% took it off charge, went to sleep and in 8 hours, it was down to 33% battery and System was going gangbusters!
    02-14-15 09:43 AM
    I didnt "tamper" with BlackBerryWorld....it's not an adroid app, is it.

Posted via CB750
    02-14-15 09:55 AM
    I didnt "tamper" with BlackBerryWorld....it's not an adroid app, is it.

Posted via CB750
    TaskManager is what folks call a ported Android app. When you open it, it looks like other Android apps. I don't know how your tweak might have affected it or its installing/loading.
    02-14-15 01:40 PM
    It really does get tiring.... Cell signal does not seem to be the issue: -64 dBm

Why does SYSTEM suddenly run full tilt and drain the battery?  What does SYSTEM entail?-img_20150214_183308.jpg
    02-14-15 08:39 PM
    Have you tried an os reload? It's possible in updating to the leak there was some mess up. You can try an os reload to go back to 10.2.1 or security wipe without a restore.

It's the only fix I can think of.
    I suggest backing up your contacts through something other than BlackBerry link
    02-15-15 12:37 AM
    You are running a leak. Go back to basics and load the official 10.2.1 and see how it performs.

I've been running official OS for 9 months and have never experienced this issue with SYSTEM and power drain. I do suffer the drain with BBM every couple of weeks but that's another story.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.2.1.3062 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    02-15-15 06:44 AM
    mad_mdx and dangerousfen

Yes, I've thought about going back or reloading the OS. I just hate the setup process, retrieving apps again, etc.

In addition, there's a report from another person in the reply above who has the official OS and has the same SYSTEM problems with the same odd repeating "it works fine for days and then goes crazy for a few days and then back to normal" Now, that may be also a bad OS load for whatever reason, too.

So, I just need the time to sit down and reload the OS and everything else. I was just hoping someone might be able to point out what SYSTEM wraps around so I can look into it. Could be an errant app. Does not seem like cell signal.

Well, almost 7am. It is fully charged and only running at 76F (24C). -66 dBm. So plugged in and charging, it is not running hot. Will be leaving for a hike in a bit so will see how it goes.
    02-15-15 08:54 AM
    Yes, a reload is a pain in the bum.

I still think it's worthwhile though. Keep us posted as to how things develop.

02-15-15 09:55 AM
    I think you have jinks me F2. As I was typing my last post, my Z30 started to get very hot again.

Checked the monitor and it was BBM again, which I have never ever used. This is happening at least once a week now.

Sorry, I know it's not related to your issue, but it's driving me nuts.

02-15-15 10:04 AM
    I think you have jinks me F2. As I was typing my last post, my Z30 started to get very hot again.

Checked the monitor and it was BBM again, which I have never ever used. This is happening at least once a week now.

Sorry, I know it's not related to your issue, but it's driving me nuts.

i am sorry that I jinxed you! That BBM overheat issue has been around for a while. I haven't had it in quite a while now. Can't remember if I ever had it on the Z30 but did have it on the Z10. And I only use bbm for two chat groups, nothing more. But not using it at all and having it go wonky is really oddball.

And I do have to ask, as a Gorilla, are you also located in a QUICKSAND MARSH?
    02-15-15 04:47 PM

And I do have to ask, as a Gorilla, are you also located in a QUICKSAND MARSH?
    Lol.

02-15-15 05:37 PM
    Any progress on this yet, F2?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 07:21 PM
    Any progress on this yet, F2?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for bringing me back to this thread. I loaded a new OS using Blitz/Sachesi last evening. And with fingers crossed and knocking on wood.... So far, so good. At least, compared with the way SYSTEM was chomping on the battery, I think it is good. But then again, I have not run every app that might be implicated nor have I used Qi charging (this is a verizon Z30 with Qi charging circuits). I love having the Display dominate the battery usage. So, it's only been a day and one overnight charge.

Why does SYSTEM suddenly run full tilt and drain the battery?  What does SYSTEM entail?-img_20150220_193809.jpg
    02-20-15 09:42 PM
    Yeah. I had a system filled night last night. For some reason the screen on the phone turned on too randomly when I got up.
    Why does SYSTEM suddenly run full tilt and drain the battery?  What does SYSTEM entail?-img_20150221_182823.png

As you can see it is using battery even when charged.

And it was rocking the cpu all night long:
    Why does SYSTEM suddenly run full tilt and drain the battery?  What does SYSTEM entail?-img_20150221_190354.png

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 09:04 PM
    Well (with fingers still crossed), it is still holding on and System has not gone nuts. But if you read my first post, the Z30 would be "normal" for x number of days and then SYSTEM would go bonkers for a day or two, back to normal and then Bonkers again. So I need a few days or a week to see how it really is holding up. But been nice today, the second normal day.

I'd still like to know what might be causing it. I guess one could post on BB's official forum and see if anyone has ideas.
    02-21-15 09:36 PM
    Well (with fingers still crossed), it is still holding on and System has not gone nuts. But if you read my first post, the Z30 would be "normal" for x number of days and then SYSTEM would go bonkers for a day or two, back to normal and then Bonkers again. So I need a few days or a week to see how it really is holding up. But been nice today, the second normal day.

I'd still like to know what might be causing it. I guess one could post on BB's official forum and see if anyone has ideas.
    Oh. I was saying mine was doing the same thing. But it stopped on restart.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:44 AM
    Oh. I was saying mine was doing the same thing. But it stopped on restart.

Posted via CB10
    A restart either Power On/off or both Vol buttons did not fix it.

But today, with the "leak" I took it off the charger at 6:40am and at 5pm it was only down 20%. So System seems under control.
    02-22-15 07:22 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing, it is super annoying. I just upgraded from 10.2.1.xxx on Friday via OTA. I have had my Z30 for a year now, it's gone through about a dozen operating systems. Some leaked, some OTA. It has never had this problem before this upgrade. My OS and device is as follows.

Carrier: Bell Canada (Ontario)
    Device: Z30 STA1OO-5
    Software release: 10.3.1.1581
    OS Version: 10.3.1.2267
    Build ID: 820525
    Radio Version: 10.3.1.2268
    Webkit Version: 10.3.1.159
    Browser Version: 10.3.1.49

Hope a fix can be found soon.
    Last edited by EvilmasterMMA; 02-22-15 at 08:49 PM.
    02-22-15 08:38 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing, it is super annoying. I just upgraded from 10.2.1.xxx on Friday via OTA. I have had my Z30 for a year now, it's gone through about a dozen operating systems. Some leaked, some OTA. It has never had this problem before this upgrade. My OS and device is as follows.

Carrier: Bell Canada (Ontario)
    Device: Z30 STA1OO-5
    Software release: 10.3.1.1581
    OS Version: 10.3.1.2267
    Build ID: 820525
    Radio Version: 10.3.1.2268
    Webkit Version: 10.3.1.159
    Browser Version: 10.3.1.49

Hope a fix can be found soon.
    I hope I don't jinx things - the update has so far fixed my SYSTEM chomping issue. This is the 3rd day and so far battery has been doing fine and System is not misbehaving. (but I do have rotation issues)

The thing is NO ONE seems to know what SYSTEM is doing when it goes bonkers. No one seems to know what processes are incorporated into System. Maybe we should re-enter this thread or similar in the General BB forum rather than limit it to z30 - get more exposure.
    02-22-15 10:26 PM
28 12