I've gone through two updates and had the same experience. First time I initiated the update on my new Z30. Install, wait, later on realize the phone had d/l'ed multiple gigs over my 2.5 GB mobile data plan.

Today, just had the same experience. Phone prompts me that it wants to update. Restarts, all seems good. The update seemed to be done. Later that day it turns out the phone has been downloading gigs in the background over my mobile connection until my data plan 2.5 GB limit is reached.

Why can't the phone use wifi to do this when a network is open on the phone? Is there some way I can alter this behavior? I've just burned through two months of my data plan and it kind of sucks that the BB10 seems to be oblivious to data plan limits.
    09-30-15 09:24 PM
    Next time your phone tells you there is an update available you could just wait until you have a WiFi connection.
    09-30-15 10:02 PM
    This is actually not normal. Carriers generally provision phones to not download updates over mobile network. Not because they care about your plan and overages, but because they don't want the strain of people downloading GB+ updates over their networks.
    09-30-15 10:22 PM
    Haha, providers must intentionally override wifi so they can ding their end users. I would shut off the mobile network and leave wifi on just to be sure or just wait til you are at a pc

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2639
    09-30-15 10:24 PM
    I guess I would suggest that you take control yourself the next time there's a large OS update and turn off your data and rely on wifi.

You could also manually control the OS acquisition by downloading a Blitz copy of the OS from a link posted in the Leak OS subforums. These days there really are NO leaks or betas but Official versions released by a variety of carriers. Blizt are NONE destructive and act like the one you get over the phone. Or you could use an autoloader found in the same place but they do wipe out all data and apps. Some folks like Autoloaders since they start the phone our fresh.
    10-02-15 11:33 PM
    Try Settings, Software Updates, Options, flip turn off Automatically Download.

Posted via CB10
    pic32ard likes this.
    10-03-15 06:36 AM