I am wondering after new whatsapp upgrade I was just checking and my finger place on microphone icon accidently , the whatsapp start recording.. I was surprised when I gave to access microphone so I checked the microphone settings in app manager and it was off but still its record how the hell he can overpass it.. BlackBerry phone are not secure any more? it should not be over ride the app manager even if they said its encrypted end to end don't believe their lame talks.. after all its FB own app..
    04-10-16 07:07 AM
    Did it actually record something e.g. your voice?

Via Pasta CB10
    04-10-16 08:05 AM
    obviously I have checked properly and send a test message to my friend and listen my own voice..
    04-11-16 03:26 AM
    If that's true it would be really concerning.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    04-12-16 07:19 AM
    If that's true it would be really concerning.

Sent from my battered and bruised but still kicking (just barely) Z30.
    It is true...

Via Pasta CB10
    04-12-16 07:37 AM
    Well, this is obviously NOT good. WTH blackberry! One of the reasons i like Blackberry is because i at least thought i had control of what apps can and cannot access. The only premission i give whatsapp is for my contacts ( which i feel like i got raped by giving it to them) but that's the bare minimum needed for the app to work.

I didn't even want this stupid app on my phone but i have too many contacts overseas and none of them were willing to switch to BBM.

lol, Rock and Hard Place.
    04-12-16 08:04 AM
    I'm not liking this myself, but there are a lot of permissions which can't be controlled from a user's side https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...rmissions.html WhatsApp alone uses 21 permissions. By the way, you should be "fine" - for me, voice notes only work with shared files permission enabled. Still, I'd like to know how and why they did it.

Via Pasta CB10
    04-12-16 08:18 AM
    Well, this is obviously NOT good. WTH blackberry! One of the reasons i like Blackberry is because i at least thought i had control of what apps can and cannot access. The only premission i give whatsapp is for my contacts ( which i feel like i got raped by giving it to them) but that's the bare minimum needed for the app to work.

I didn't even want this stupid app on my phone but i have too many contacts overseas and none of them were willing to switch to BBM.

lol, Rock and Hard Place.
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/04...eys-to-canada/

Permissions? Does it matter anymore?
    04-15-16 12:49 AM
    It's now essentialy a Facebook app, so since Facebook Messenger app aswell as the Facebook app also want to spy on you, so does Whatsapp it seems.

It is surprising that if this is a BB10 native app (don't know because I don't use it) that this is allowed to happen - if it were an android version you were running, it would not be news.

If you don't want to be eavesdropped on then you wouldn't be running Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Google Search, etc on an android or IOS phone - I guess you can add BB10 phone to that list now.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 01:54 AM
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/04...eys-to-canada/

Permissions? Does it matter anymore?
    What does that have to do with anything?

Via Pasta CB10
    04-15-16 04:37 AM
    So, just curious, but is this issue with a Whatapp App that was built for BlackBerry or is it the Android version?
    04-15-16 11:16 AM
    So, just curious, but is this issue with a Whatapp App that was built for BlackBerry or is it the Android version?
    Native one.

Via Pasta CB10
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    04-15-16 11:34 AM
    I've noticed the exact same thing

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 08:27 AM
    If you don't want to be eavesdropped on then you wouldn't be running Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Google Search, etc on an android or IOS phone - I guess you can add BB10 phone to that list now.

Posted via CB10
    I'm on iOS right now (and hating it), but the way permissions are handled is really quite nice. Permissions are gradually granted to apps by the user depending on what the user wants to do in the app. It makes the process very easy to understand for the average person.

And judging by the way WhatsApp is able to get sound recordings without microphone permissions on BB10, I'd say that iOS is more secure in a lot of ways. Certainly seems to be anyway.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 09:50 AM
    WhatsApp uses the microphone for recording voice messages, and making voice calls. That's it.

FYI, you may have to reboot after a permissions change for all the parts of the app to be affected by it. Those settings require an app restart to take effect, and some parts of the app aren't actually restarted when you think they are.

If, for some reason, the app is still able to perform these functions without Microphone permission, then its a bug in the OS which should be reported to BlackBerry so they can fix it.
    WanShark69 likes this.
    04-18-16 10:25 AM
    WhatsApp uses the microphone for recording voice messages, and making voice calls. That's it.

FYI, you may have to reboot after a permissions change for all the parts of the app to be affected by it. Those settings require an app restart to take effect, and some parts of the app aren't actually restarted when you think they are.

If, for some reason, the app is still able to perform these functions without Microphone permission, then its a bug in the OS which should be reported to BlackBerry so they can fix it.
    Thank you, again, for your continued presence on the forums. Such a great team.
    04-22-16 01:25 AM