Hi,

I was was wondering could someone explain the merits of this antenna tech? How does it improve signal and is it wifi, radio (cellular) or both ?

I'm not sure I notice much of difference between my old iPhone 4s and my z30. Maybe in my Faraday cage of a house I have slightly better signal. Wifi isn't as good as I thought. In my bedroom signal is much and the same as my iPhone, iPhone might best it actually. Now I haven't done scientific tests, it's just an observation. It seems there are a few threads complaining about wifi signal but I'm not sure that it's related. Anyway...

Thanks
    JP

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 07:15 PM
    ‘Get strong connectivity and fast data transfers, even in areas with weak coverage. It dynamically tunes itself to its environment, helping you stay connected in more places so you can get on with what’s important to you.’
    As per BlackBerry... but signal is always subjective anyway plus, it can vary from OS to OS to OS.
    05-20-15 07:23 PM
    From my understanding, you won't really notice a difference in high signal area. It is more for areas with weak signal to help prevent dropped calls...

For instance going to my in laws cottage with my iPhone 4s a few years back, I had no coverage the whole weekend. But with my z30 after I got it, I had a weak signal (data was pretty useless) but I could still make calls and receive texts as long as I didn't go too close to the water. Lol

Now it's possible Rogers upgraded their towers over the years. But that's one spot I go I can see a difference in signal

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 08:12 PM
    From experience the paratek antenna helped me greatly in weak signal areas.
    I sit in a 'dead' spot in my office, could never get a signal, no email nothing, drove me crazy, always had to walk to the end of isle near window to get anything. Then once I received z30, I get a 4g signal at my desk, can take calls etc, love it.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 09:57 PM
    From experience the paratek antenna helped me greatly in weak signal areas.
    I sit in a 'dead' spot in my office, could never get a signal, no email nothing, drove me crazy, always had to walk to the end of isle near window to get anything. Then once I received z30, I get a 4g signal at my desk, can take calls etc, love it.

Posted via CB10
    Hoping they don't abandon the tech and carry it over to slider

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 10:48 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for the explanation!

OK so I have experienced this. On my 4s when I walked through my front door the call would always cut. That stopped happening with the Z30, mostly. When I think about it I guess the signal is better around my home actually. I live in a small village in the center of Ireland. My home is a 170year old town house with 2-3foot thick external walls in places. I have sat comfortably in my living room in the center of the house and had a chat with my parents without it cutting out. Hmm yes now that I remember the 4s used to cut randomly, losing signal. Cool.

Cheers,
    JP
    05-21-15 02:51 AM
    Hey guys, thanks for the explanation!

OK so I have experienced this. On my 4s when I walked through my front door the call would always cut. That stopped happening with the Z30, mostly. When I think about it I guess the signal is better around my home actually. I live in a small village in the center of Ireland. My home is a 170year old town house with 2-3foot thick external walls in places. I have sat comfortably in my living room in the center of the house and had a chat with my parents without it cutting out. Hmm yes now that I remember the 4s used to cut randomly, losing signal. Cool.

Cheers,
    JP
    05-21-15 02:52 AM
    I have noticed no difference between my Z10 and Z30.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    05-21-15 08:26 AM
    Apparently it has tunable reactance, which is really just a way of saying that you can tune its operating frequency. Not sure why this is so special; maybe traditional cell phone antennas have had fixed reactance and they would just change the local oscillator frequency or something to tune?

United States Patent: 9026062
    05-21-15 08:42 AM

That's because blackberry included some of the technology in the Z10 without advertising it as paratek.

Inside the BlackBerry Z10 | Chipworks Blog
    BCITMike likes this.
    05-21-15 09:35 AM

The opposite goes for me: I definitely have better signal on the Z30 than on the Z10 (but Z10 antenna is rather good, also)
    05-21-15 09:39 AM
    That's because blackberry included some of the technology in the Z10 without advertising it as paratek.

Inside the BlackBerry Z10 | Chipworks Blog
    This has a good simple summary. Thanks
    Basically, it optimizes the match with antenna, improving gain and SNR, so it can get better modulation or more robust reception at a given modulation.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 04:41 PM