BlackBerry can't be content to just match specs. 1080 would not cut it. They absolutely must have more wasted specs than Samsung to compete.

So, the z30 should be 4K or I am outta here.

Oh, and if you insist on needing 1080 on the z30, yet you don't even know whay 4K is, you might want to think about whether you have enough of a clue to be talking about this at all.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:33 AM
    The Note 3, while having a 1080p screen, does 4k recording. That would have been nice, at least.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    09-19-13 08:39 AM
    HAHA!
    I see what you're doing here.
    4k on a smartphone....riiiiiiggggggghhttttt. lol
    09-19-13 08:40 AM
    There comes a point when just increasing the PPI brings little actual benefit in terms of what the eye can perceive.
    There is very high resolution glass out there for small displays but it currently has a prohibitive cost.
    Would you be willing to spend thousands on a phone and if you would how much of a market do you think is actually out there, enough to justify BlackBerry releasing it?

As a non-manufacturer BlackBerry has to try and pick the best cost vs spec parts they can in order to turn a profit.
    At the risk of being repetitive BlackBerry can't win on specs for them it has to be an OS play.
    OriginalLucy likes this.
    09-19-13 08:44 AM
    StokApps, exactly my point.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:48 AM
    There comes a point when just increasing the PPI brings little actual benefit in terms of what the eye can perceive.
    There is very high resolution glass out there for small displays but it currently has a prohibitive cost.
    Would you be willing to spend thousands on a phone and if you would how much of a market do you think is actually out there, enough to justify BlackBerry releasing it?

As a non-manufacturer BlackBerry has to try and pick the best cost vs spec parts they can in order to turn a profit.
    At the risk of being repetitive BlackBerry can't win on specs for them it has to be an OS play.
    What are you talking about? We still pay like those specs were included.

09-19-13 08:50 AM
    What are you talking about? We still pay like those specs were included.

BlackBerry believe they can charge the same price as they have a new OS and would still like to think they can rely on this and their reputation to maximise their profits.

Note I'm not saying I agree with this stance as you can clearly see from the discounts applied to the Q10 and Z10 so soon after release and the poor sales numbers.
    09-19-13 08:57 AM
    StokApps, exactly my point.

Posted via CB10
    Okay that's good, forgive me as I wasn't sure from your OP whether you were being serious or sarcastic.
    09-19-13 09:00 AM
    Oh, I was being very sarcastic.

Samsung makes their own components, BlackBerry develops their own OS.

Apple comes the closest to doing it all, which is why they make so much money on each unit.

BlackBerry will never win the specs war. So I would rather have efficency than wasted power.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 09:56 AM
    OP, I was just thinking about this the other night, thanks for posting it because someone had to!

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 05:56 PM
    Isn't 4k - a 12MP image at 60 frames per second? Where do you store that? You also need a really good lens...nothing you could build into a cell phone.
    09-19-13 06:12 PM
    Isn't 4k - a 12MP image at 60 frames per second? Where do you store that? You also need a really good lens...nothing you could build into a cell phone.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galax...ing-4k-video-0

09-19-13 06:16 PM
    Don't feed the *****s

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 07:10 PM
    Guys, fine tune your sarcasm meters :P

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-19-13 07:29 PM
    whats inexcusable is that people expect every phone to come out should come with obsurd specs. there are very few 4k resolution TVs these days and the ones that are out are rediculously expensive.

on top of that how often does one play a video shot from their smartphone on an 1080p HD TV let alone a 4k, most will post videos on youtube or facebook or just view them on their phone.

god ****ign dammit, i've said it before and i'll say it again, Android vendors ruined the smartphone market RUINED and its a god damn shame

edited for stupidity
    09-19-13 07:36 PM
    ^ the OP is being sarcastic

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 07:39 PM
    ^ I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic but the OP is.

Posted via CB10
    no i'm not but maybe i should have read the whole post before i accused the op :P i'm sorry
    09-19-13 07:41 PM
    Yes, I was being sarcastic.
    Lol

Anyway, the point is, there is a point of diminishing returns. In my opinion going past 720p on a phone is that point.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:21 PM
    Lol +1

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 10:43 PM
    Oh, I was being very sarcastic.

Samsung makes their own components, BlackBerry develops their own OS.

Apple comes the closest to doing it all, which is why they make so much money on each unit.

BlackBerry will never win the specs war. So I would rather have efficency than wasted power.

Posted via CB10
    Why wouldn't BlackBerry ever win the spec war? That's something that turned a lot of users away from BlackBerry years ago when android began taking off. They need to be competitive! Even if consumers don't use/need all that's out there, no one wants to feel like what they're buying is already outdated!

It's a shame that BlackBerry didn't offer a phone with a front facing camera until THIS YEAR!...2013...with the Z10. Years ago, I nearly jumped ship to pick up the HTC One because of its impressive spec list. Many people ultimately jumped ship...the core users didn't. the core users were excusing BlackBerry's lack of innovation & competiveness by saying things like, "who cares if our hardware is outdated? I still love my phone"...and..."who needs dual core processors? My phone is fine"...and..."Who cares if the phone that BlackBerry is promoting as their high end, flagship device, the Z30, has a middle of the pack spec list when compared to other phones? I don't need high pixel density. I can see the screen just fine".

This all sounds like the old, complacent BlackBerry. When they launched the feature & spec rich Z10, I thought they had learned their lesson. Front & rear facing camera, killer features like time shift, dual quad snapdragon processor, new, modern OS. It wasn't lagging from the start! When they said they had a new, high end model coming out, I thought it would instantly make the Z10 obsolete with an even MORE impressive spec list. Instead, it has a bigger screen and lower resolution (among other disappointments).

When BlackBerry promotes a new phone that's not yet out, they need to do what Samsung, HTC, Apple, and others do. They push the envelope. They IMPROVEbeyond what's currently broadly available. They give their new device a competitive advantage in the marketplace, even if temporary.

The competition is fierce. Most devices have most of the same functionality. All offer touch screens, fluid OS's, app stores, great cameras, video recording, browsing, email access, etc, etc. In many cases, when a consumer is standing in a Verizon store, the differentiator becomes the spec list. One phone is single core & the other is dual core. One phone supports 720p video recording & the other supports 1080p. One phone has an 8mp rear camera & the other has a14mp camera. One phone has a big, bright, crisp display & the other has a big, not as bright or sharp screen.

Those differences sell phones. And based on BlackBerry's write off of unsold inventory, those differences sell millions of phones. We (both CrackBerry loyalists & BlackBerry) need to stop being complacent, and stop settling, and start demanding the best. I see no reason why my poor 20 year old cousin using a sorry Android OS should have a more impressive piece of hardware than what I can get as a professional using a BlackBerry as my device of choice.

Keith H. Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 07:41 AM
    They need to be competitive but they will never beat Samsung and other companies that manufacturer components.
    The Asian companies that manufacture memory and screens etc have a leg up that BlackBerry can't compete with.

Now, before they were not even competitive.

the iphone is even less competitive than that BlackBerry but they are doing just fine.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-13 08:48 AM