Hi guys

My first post here though I have been lingering for some time.

Firstly, I just wanna say "I LOVE THE Z30!!". Had been an iOS and Android user for some time, but took the plunge about 3 weeks back. This phone is simply understated, and the BB10 is simply amazing. I just don't understand why this is not getting the attention it so deserves.

Unfortunately, I just got a mailer from my company's IT support that Blackberry devices will no longer be supported and will not be able to receive emails or calendar events.

I am now truly devastated.

Question: I thought BB10 does not use BIS, and since it supports Microsoft Activesync, why shouldn't Z30 be supported? I would think that it falls under the category of BYOD and it should continue to function (I.e. Continue getting emails and calendar events).

Anyone care to share some light on this?

Thanks in advance.
    12-26-13 10:02 AM
    Wouldn't it be more effective to ask your employer? Their IT department would be the ones making the changes, and perhaps you'd be able to get their attention in a more direct approach?

Welcome to the CrackBerry forums! I'm sure others in the know will chime in, there are several ways this can go.
    12-26-13 10:09 AM
    Wouldn't it be more effective to ask your employer? Their IT department would be the ones making the changes, and perhaps you'd be able to get their attention in a more direct approach?
    Actually, I did. I explained to them that I am on a BB10 O/S, but all they had was a blank look and said BB devices are no longer supported.
    12-26-13 10:12 AM
    I think you'll be good with it, most people don't understand the whole BIS thing, and bb10 device can work under a byod program, just ask them where they need to enter the credentials and you guide them through the setup.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    12-26-13 10:18 AM
    The question should be if your company uses another MDM tool. For example if they allow EAS devices but managed through AirWatch or GOOD you might have an issue. My company our rule is that all devices must be managed. I wouldn't be allowed to connect a EAS device directly. It must use one of our three approved MDM/EMM vendors.
    12-26-13 10:23 AM
    They probably think they need to provide and maintain a BES/BIS server for you.

Just use you BB10 "unsupported" by them.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-26-13 10:24 AM
    Actually, I did. I explained to them that I am on a BB10 O/S, but all they had was a blank look and said BB devices are no longer supported.
    They are most likely referring to legacy BBOS phones, from before BB10 phones came out. Thanks to BlackBerry's awful marketing even your IT department probably has no idea that BB10 exists and that it is completely different to all BlackBerry phones that came before it.

As such, if you explain to them that your BB10 phone supports ActiveSync you may still be able to use it with your work mailbox depending on if they have ActiveSync and allow it to be available to you over the Internet.

If their security requirements are much higher than that and they require your phone to be managed on a Mobile Device Management solution or they don't expose ActiveSync to the Internet then point them in the direction of BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 which if they act quickly and upgrade to before the end of this year gives support for BB10 phones for FREE by trading up their current legacy BES licences and also support for Android and iOS devices for an annual fee per device. LINK BELOW:

http://blackberry.com/bes10

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    12-26-13 10:28 AM
    Just quit your job....if they say why just say because you don't support blackberry I'm done plain and simple....there are plenty other jobs out there...

From my Z30
    Tom689, paper_monkey and SDTRMG like this.
    12-26-13 10:46 AM
    ActiveSync is the answer.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 10:58 AM
    Just quit your job....if they say why just say because you don't support blackberry I'm done plain and simple....there are plenty other jobs out there...

From my Z30
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 11:56 AM
    Its not that way, they are mistaking it for a bis legacy device.

Just ask them what credentials setting they have provided to access android and apple, use the same settings in your device it will work.

My company also doesn't support legacy devices but my z10 receives mails faster than my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    RazrRob and bungaboy like this.
    12-26-13 12:11 PM

From my Z30
    And I suppose you gonna send him checks when he does right?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 01:43 PM
    As BK said, welcome to CrackBerry (well to posting anyway.. once you start, it's kind of hard to stop though!) I think you have got enough information from the other posters to answer your question but it might be worth also asking if you can either go over to the IT department or have someone from IT come to your desk and have a look at your phone, show them what it can do and what the setup process is for a new e-mail account (explaining the activesync option or even better, sharing JohnnyUK's link and hopefully getting them up and running with BES10) If nothing else, you will show them what kind of devices BB is making now and might even make it easier/possible for others to use their BB10 devices under your current BYOD framework.

Good luck and please report back when you hear from IT to let us know if you got it up and running or not!
    12-27-13 09:49 AM
    No problem I have customers with windows server and other and so far not a problem with any blackberry 10 phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 10:18 AM
    Hey all

Thanks loads for the advice. According to the mailer, support will cease on 9 Jan. Let's see what happens then.

For the time being, it sounds like it might probably work!

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    12-27-13 10:36 AM
    I was wondering, aren't IT department personnel supposed to be knowledgeable, when it comes to what's on the market, the capabilities and functionality, pros and cons of different systems within its department?

I don't think you should quit your job, your IT department should be fired!
    bungaboy, johnnyuk, SDTRMG and 2 others like this.
    12-27-13 11:41 AM
    Thanks for the jocularity. I've worked in IT for over 30 years. I've met 3 people through my career who keep track of information related technologies: Me, Myself and I. The engineers I work with now have Androids and iPhones. I assure you I now more about their phones than they do. My customers often know more about their phones than they do and my customers are mostly managers.

Eish! So its going to be an uphill journey for BlackBerry to recover. If the people who are supposed to make the decisions to buy BlackBerrys or not for enterprise use are not knowledgeable, then BlackBerry's focus on the enterprise market is likely going to be futile.

I hope Chen knows what he is doing.
    12-27-13 12:16 PM
    Well, you surely won't have to worry about getting pesty work emails in your BlackBerry device.

:-)

Posted via CB10
    oaknut john and paper_monkey like this.
    12-27-13 12:24 PM
    As others have said, this probably means legacy BlackBerry phones. I find it's hit or miss at my work whether or not IT knows that BlackBerry will do Active Sync.

My company said that there would be no support for BlackBerry as of January 2013. Then all the higher ups still on BlackBerry refused to get rid of their legacy BlackBerry phones, and that deadline sort of disappeared, they still work. For about 6 months the policy was iPhones only, then suddenly, we could order whatever we wanted, BB10 included.

Posted via CB10
    Doolittle2 likes this.
    12-27-13 12:34 PM
    I hear you. Its kind of hard to talk to some "professionals" sometimes.

Thanks for the jocularity. I've worked in IT for over 30 years. I've met 3 people through my career who keep track of information related technologies: Me, Myself and I. The engineers I work with now have Androids and iPhones. I assure you I now more about their phones than they do. My customers often know more about their phones than they do and my customers are mostly managers.
    12-27-13 01:45 PM
    It means that bbos or bis supported blackberries won't be managed anymore, but ur z10 will function like a normal iphone or android and will work easily, just take the settings from ur it department and plug em into ur z10 and voila, then teach ur it guys and tell em to fix their email in order not to confuse employees!

Voila solved no biggy!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 01:51 PM
    I agree with the other posters here. I can connect my Z10 without any problems with EAS. I used the android settings while transitioning to Office365 and I get emails no problem

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 02:03 PM
    It means that bbos or bis supported blackberries won't be managed anymore, but ur z10 will function like a normal iphone or android and will work easily, just take the settings from ur it department and plug em into ur z10 and voila, then teach ur it guys and tell em to fix their email in order not to confuse employees!

Voila solved no biggy!

Posted via CB10
    When I got my Z30 last week, I shot an email over to IT at work to make sure setting up would be easy (we use EAS). I got a panicked email back saying "We don't (and will never) use BES...you may want to rethink your choice!" LOL

When I called him and said that it was not BES, and that BB10 does EAS quite nicely the guy calmed down a bit but still said "Good luck" :-)

So I pick up my Z30 a couple hours later, and go to set up my work account...enter the email address and password, figuring hitting NEXT would make me plug in the domain, server, blah blah blah...well next thing I know, my screen says "DONE!" (or something to that effect).

In other words, yeah it will likely work no problem, and heck, mine was easier than my Samsung ATIV S or HTC One!

The Z30 is THE.BEST.PHONE.EVER!
    12-27-13 02:09 PM
    Eish! So its going to be an uphill journey for BlackBerry to recover. If the people who are supposed to make the decisions to buy BlackBerrys or not for enterprise use are not knowledgeable, then BlackBerry's focus on the enterprise market is likely going to be futile.

I hope Chen knows what he is doing.
    According to the latest financial statements, BlackBerry has lost about 68 per cent of its enterprise business customers over the past few years, dropping from 250,000 to 80,000. They are allowing free downloads until end of 2013. Chen will then chase the sales leads, tough road ahead for sure. Trend isn't good.
    12-28-13 11:03 AM
    According to the latest financial statements, BlackBerry has lost about 68 per cent of its enterprise business customers over the past few years, dropping from 250,000 to 80,000. They are allowing free downloads until end of 2013. Chen will then chase the sales leads, tough road ahead for sure. Trend isn't good.
    It's free perpetual device CAL trade ups until the end if this year, the software is free and is intended to always be free.

The business model is all about annual CALs per device and per user now. If you want a CAL to manage a BB10, iOS or Android device on BES10 from the 1st of January it's 19 dollars (or 13 UK pounds for me) per device per year.

Chen may change the model and prices of course but I don't think charging for the software is a good idea, BES10 is already up against it in the MDM sector and it's not winning.

Posted via CB10 on Z10 STL100-2 on EE, UK - Activated on BES10.2
    12-28-13 11:33 AM
46 12