Nothing, because it doesn't have enough RAM
    For what? My PlayBook works fine enough.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 01:11 AM
    For what? My PlayBook works fine enough.

Posted via CB10
    your clearly missing the point, PlayBook isn't able to get BB10 due to lack of RAM, so people ask for more RAM in phones as they fear history could repeat itself when an OS update happens. if that doesn't make logical sense, then I don't know another way to phrase it simply enough.
    LWKING likes this.
    08-04-13 01:14 AM
    your clearly missing the point, PlayBook isn't able to get BB10 due to lack of RAM, so people ask for more RAM in phones as they fear history could repeat itself when an OS update happens. if that doesn't make logical sense, then I don't know another way to phrase it simply enough.
    PlayBook is no longer supported. End of story.

It has no bearing on the future, imo.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 01:21 AM
    PlayBook is no longer supported. End of story.

It has no bearing on the future, imo.

Posted via CB10
    then you miss the point. we have experiences in life so that we learn, so past events DO have a bearing on the future, or at least for those that show the ability to learn they should.

to illustrate my point, BB6 devices couldn't be updated to BB7 due to insufficient spec, years later PBOS couldn't be updated to BB10 due to insufficient spec. that's why BlackBerry should look at their past to avoid mistakes in the future.
    08-04-13 01:25 AM
    then you miss the point. we have experiences in life so that we learn, so past events DO have a bearing on the future, or at least for those that show the ability to learn they should.

to illustrate my point, BB6 devices couldn't be updated to BB7 due to insufficient spec, years later PBOS couldn't be updated to BB10 due to insufficient spec. that's why BlackBerry should look at their past to avoid mistakes in the future.
    I get what you're saying.

All companies inevitably screw over their customers, fyi... FWIW, I agree with you and I wish it was different, but it's not.

It's the same deal with Apple and Android, believe me.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 01:31 AM
    It's the same deal with Apple and Android, believe me.
    not really, iOS7 will run on ipad2 and iphone4, yet BB10 wont run on a 9900 or PlayBook. not quite the same deal I don't think.

and yes iOS7 for those devices will be lesser in features, but public perception-wise it gets iOS7
    08-04-13 01:39 AM
    not really, iOS7 will run on ipad2 and iphone4, yet BB10 wont run on a 9900 or PlayBook. not quite the same deal I don't think.

and yes iOS7 for those devices will be lesser in features, but public perception-wise it gets iOS7
    Unfair comparison.

Yes, iOS 7 runs fine on my iPhone 4S (beta 4). But it's still the same OS.

BB10 is a new OS... It's completely different from BBOS 6/7.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 01:43 AM
    Unfair comparison.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 shares the QNX base with PlayBook, so is a fair comparison.
    08-04-13 01:46 AM
    No bugs, have it work out the gate.
    Who exactly could BlackBerry use as an example to do this?

Let's look at any industry if you'd like.
    08-04-13 01:50 AM
    BB10 shares the QNX base with PlayBook, so is a fair comparison.
    IOS 7 is an upgrade of iOS 6.

BB10 is a brand new OS that is not an upgrade of previous BlackBerry OSes...

So no, imo it's not A fair comparison, not even close.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 01:51 AM
    IOS 7 is an upgrade of iOS 6.

BB10 is a brand new OS that is not an upgrade of previous BlackBerry OSes...

So no, imo it's not A fair comparison, not even close.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is based off PBOS, im not quite sure where the lack of comprehension is coming from, its public knowledge that both are based around QNX.
    bekkay likes this.
    08-04-13 01:54 AM
    BB10 is based off PBOS, im not quite sure where the lack of comprehension is coming from, its public knowledge that both are based around QNX.
    You brought up iOS 7, not me.

BlackBerry 10 is not the same OS as the OS that ran on the PlayBook obviously. Both might have been QNX based but the similarities obviously end there.

Or do you think BlackBerry would deliberately deny PlayBook users BB10?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 02:03 AM
    You brought up iOS 7, not me.

BlackBerry 10 is not the same OS as the OS that ran on the PlayBook obviously. Both might have been QNX based but the similarities obviously end there.

Or do you think BlackBerry would deliberately deny PlayBook users BB10?

Posted via CB10
    just wow. I have no more words
    08-04-13 02:06 AM
    just wow. I have no more words
    Or nothing cogent to rebut.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 02:08 AM
    Or nothing cogent to rebut.

Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    nope, you just don't seem to understand. `the similarities end there` proves this.
    08-04-13 02:12 AM
    nope, you just don't seem to understand. `the similarities end there` proves this.
    I'll let the thread speak for itself.

All the best.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 02:15 AM
    Just because two platforms share the same kernel doesn't mean the platforms are the same.

iOS and Mac have the same kernel, although tuned differently.

Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 have the same kernel. Windows NT.

But yet, you can't put Windows 8 on a Windows Phone, and neither can you put Mac on an iOS device.

So yes, the similarities do end at QNX. Otherwise PlayBook apps should work on BB10 no problem. But yet they have two complete different SDKs. Which suggests they're not as similar as you might think.

I don't know what the limitations for PlayBook were for them to can the project. But if it doesn't run better than its current OS, then its not really an upgrade IMO. Plus apps that weren't meant for its resolution.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    08-04-13 11:58 AM
    But yet they have two complete different SDKs. Which suggests they're not as similar as you might think.
    no actually the SDK is different because PBOS doesn't have the assets libraries that are part of BB10, that doesn't signify a huge change in the base code, simply a change to assets and such. this is why people have been able to get .bar files from BB10 to run in PBOS but with issues, its simply an assets issue in that regard.

Anyways that's just missing the point, people want the updated specs so they don't get left in the lurch like in the past, to say that's not a good idea is kinda short sighted.
    08-04-13 12:10 PM
    Unfair comparison.

Posted via CB10
    It may be a "different" OS from PBOS (definitely architecturally different from BBOS), but it's not a matter of hardware incompatibility per se, but rather the Playbook having less hardware resources than needed to run BB10 adequately.

In other words, BB10 seems to be simply more resource intensive than PBOS.
    08-04-13 03:05 PM
    As for the OP's question, the spec that the Z30/A10 needs to focus to compete is......

- PRICE -
    LWKING likes this.
    08-04-13 03:09 PM
    As for the OP's question, the spec that the Z30/A10 needs to focus to compete is......

- PRICE -
    Completely agree with OP, and you.

The 'specs' argument is an Android argument as that is the only platform that has multiple hardware vendors. In which case, they need specs to differentiate themselves. Only recently has WP8 entered the fray through Nokia and the famous 41MP camera. Dying to hear the quarterly report and how many phones they sold as a result of that gimmick.

On the other hand, Qualcomm is a leading manufacturer, here's their take on another spec: 'cores'...

Qualcomm's Anand Chandrasekher says eight-core processors are 'dumb'
    EXCERPT: "When you can’t engineer a product that meets the consumers’ expectations, maybe that’s when you resort to simply throwing cores together – that is the equivalent of throwing spaghetti against the wall and seeing what sticks. That’s a dumb way to do it, and I think our engineers aren’t dumb."

I came from Apple to BlackBerry, and neither company cares about the "specs" tab on the Best Buy page...
    08-06-13 04:56 PM
    It may be a "different" OS from PBOS (definitely architecturally different from BBOS), but it's not a matter of hardware incompatibility per se, but rather the Playbook having less hardware resources than needed to run BB10 adequately.

In other words, BB10 seems to be simply more resource intensive than PBOS.
    And I'm not qualified to answer that question. I have no idea.

I do know that my Z10 runs faster than my PlayBook, has more features, and more apps. Beyond that...
    08-06-13 04:57 PM
    I could be totally wrong in saying this, but in regards to the Playbook, I don't think Thor really cared much for it anymore. There's no more money in the Playbook so it's better to put those resources somewhere else. He's not really able to say that, but that's what I think. They got it running. They most likely could have stripped it down to make it work like Apple does, but how much money does that give them since nobody is buying Playbook's anymore.
    08-06-13 06:24 PM
    I could be totally wrong in saying this, but in regards to the Playbook, I don't think Thor really cared much for it anymore. There's no more money in the Playbook so it's better to put those resources somewhere else. He's not really able to say that, but that's what I think. They got it running. They most likely could have stripped it down to make it work like Apple does, but how much money does that give them since nobody is buying Playbook's anymore.
    while I agree there was no money in the playbook anymore, there was goodwill of customers which was lost, that's probably killed some sales and/or given negative perception.

but there was another reason it should of carried on and been sorted, the Q5 is too expensive for a low end market, partly due to having high end specs like 2gb ram, now if theyd sorted BB10 to be good for 1Gb devices, well it would of made an entry level BB10 device cheaper. sadly they decided to not worry about optimisation which is why given their attitude like that id rather have as much as I could possibly get.
    08-06-13 09:26 PM
    while I agree there was no money in the playbook anymore, there was goodwill of customers which was lost, that's probably killed some sales and/or given negative perception.

but there was another reason it should of carried on and been sorted, the Q5 is too expensive for a low end market, partly due to having high end specs like 2gb ram, now if theyd sorted BB10 to be good for 1Gb devices, well it would of made an entry level BB10 device cheaper. sadly they decided to not worry about optimisation which is why given their attitude like that id rather have as much as I could possibly get.
    Optimization is an ongoing process and it takes a lot of time. Results of optimization can be seen in 10.2 performance. They still have a lot more work to do in this area.
    08-07-13 01:07 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD