So I went from a Z30 to iPhone 6. My iPhone 6 was free and got it from work for free. So why not?

Here are my first thoughts having used the iPhone for a bit.

Where Z30 shines:
    - Hub... wow I can't tell you how much I miss the hub. Going in and out of apps to see different messages etc on the iPhone is really annoying. On the iPhone notifications are a mess and all over the place. Really inconsistent throughout. I miss the hub.
    - Multitasking - on iphone you have to double click and swipe... really time consuming. BB is much easier and smoother.
    - Clock - I really miss the Z30 alarm clock. It was very easy to set the time just by moving the hour hand, and now it's a pain.
    - Swipe to preview in camera - this doesnt exist and is quite annoying.
    - Instant emails - push emails and notifications seem to be faster on Z30. iPhone is really bad on the email front.
    - Notification LED - dearly and sorely missed.
    - Bedside mode - love the clock while charging. Does not exist on iPhone.
    - Calculator - Blackberry has a better calculator.
    - Keyboard - the native keyboard on BB is still better than the native iPhone KB. iPhone autocorrect sucks and editing is a pain.
    - Browser - BB has a better designed browser and the auto resizing of text is really handy.

Where Z30 fails:
    - Camera. The next Z30 upgrade needs to have a better camera. No need to be #1, but be top 25%.
    - Speed in terms of basic functions. On the iPhone, contacts, Facebook, searching for contacts, etc took almost no time to load. Z30 takes a few seconds every time - even for contacts and calendar. It always takes a Z30 a little more time to search, load and filter contacts.
    - Jitters and general speed - iPhone just runs smoother. Next Z30 needs better CPU and specs.
    - Maps - don't know why no updates have been made to the map app.
    - Caching of data - it seems like Apple caches all the data (e.g. facebook etc) or caches more than the Z30 - which probably makes it more snappier. Going around Z30 you're always met with a constant delay because it's always downloading some sort of data or refreshing a facebook screen. Can't they cache it?
    - Customized vibrations for alerts - iPhone has customized vibrations where you can "create" or "record" customized vibrations. This is pretty cool. Blackberry should introduce this.

Overall, Z30 fails in hardware. But this is a really easy fix. Just improve the hardware - even incrementally (e.g. CPU only)... form factor does not need to change.

Anyways I'm going to wait for the next gen Blackberry and when it comes out with better hardware specs, I will ditch the iPhone.

Also it will be even more amazing if the Z30 came with the belt and optical trackpad.
    01-20-15 12:18 AM
    Thanks for taking the time for sharing... great example where all devices have something to offer... just a matter of what you looking for and expecting from a device....
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    01-20-15 12:25 AM
    I concur with your statements. Camera has to be #1 priority. Taking pictures and videos is the most used function of phones nowadays and has to be something that can at least compete with the majority.

Posted via CB10
    srzjumper likes this.
    01-20-15 07:21 PM
    I'd expect ios to run better overall since they've basically been using the same os since 2007 and only have to develop and optimize it for a limited hardware configuration. I think this is one place where BlackBerry failed. They had waaaaaaaay too much hardware out there that was running bbos..I lost track of the different devices that were on the market.

I expect big things now that we have a new, constantly improving os and limited devices running it. Good unbiased breakdown though.

Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30
    01-20-15 10:29 PM
    Sadly improving hardware isn't enough for quicker OS speeds. The passport is faster but not lightning fast. The OS just needs to be more optimized. It will come with time
    01-20-15 11:06 PM
    Not exactly a fair comparison given the iPhone is Apples latest and greatest but I agree with your points.

Posted via CB10
    olllllo1978 likes this.
    01-20-15 11:19 PM
    Sadly improving hardware isn't enough for quicker OS speeds. The passport is faster but not lightning fast. The OS just needs to be more optimized. It will come with time
    Not only BlackBerry 10 needs to be optimized, it has to be optimized for different devices. The Passport is the first of it's kind. The Classic is also the first of it's kind. The all touch devices should be better already since they have had some time to mature.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1154
    01-20-15 11:30 PM
    I concur with your statements. Camera has to be #1 priority. Taking pictures and videos is the most used function of phones nowadays and has to be something that can at least compete with the majority.

Posted via CB10
    Umm... I'm pretty sure taking pictures and videos is NOT "the most used function of phones nowadays".

Otherwise I'd recommend a nice point and shoot for your next "phone". It doesn't do calls, emails, sms, IM, browsing, contact management, calendar management, navigation, etc. every well,... but... those are the least used functions of 'phones' nowadays so who cares.

Ok the camera has to improve, but,.. really that's now what life is really about.

Thanks for the good perspective OP!

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 11:32 PM
    That's a good one bruh. The idea is looking for a phone that best suits your daily needs. I multi-task a whole lot and I don't have any thing against my phone. You have raised good points anyway. We are all here because we support BBRY and for birthing a new OS and bringing 3 solid updates on that new OS in 2 years is remarkably daunting.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 04:03 AM
    Cool, I just learned about "Swipe-to-preview in camera". Thanks OP!

Regarding the camera:

A good point-and-shoot camera (you don't even need to go DSLR) will always take better pics than the best phone camera out there. If I want to take quality pictures, I bring my Cannon s100 along. It fits in my pocket just like my z30 does. I use the camera on the phone only to take a quick pic of something to pass the message in the picture to someone else. The camera on the phone is just another communication device ("a picture paints a thousand words" thing). The Canon pictures are for the [digital] album.

OP, you have to also take into consideration that most phones do post processing of the picture you took. They enhance colors, brightness, contrast, etc. When you view the picture you took on the phone, it might look good because the picture was "photoshopped" (without the use of PhotoShop, of course) to compensate for the phone camera's inferiority (when compared to standalone camera). My understanding is that the z30 doesn't do post-processing automatically. You have to select the image and do the post processing manually in the image-edit app. I've actually transferred images from my Canon camera to my z30, post-processed them, and was quite surprised how much better the fixed picture came out.
    01-21-15 05:35 AM
    Umm... I'm pretty sure taking pictures and videos is NOT "the most used function of phones nowadays".

Otherwise I'd recommend a nice point and shoot for your next "phone". It doesn't do calls, emails, sms, IM, browsing, contact management, calendar management, navigation, etc. every well,... but... those are the least used functions of 'phones' nowadays so who cares.

Ok the camera has to improve, but,.. really that's now what life is really about.

Thanks for the good perspective OP!

Posted via CB10
    I would think it's safe to say that the camera is easily a top 3 aspect of the majority of smartphone users. As a parent on the go, I have my phone on me all the times. I don't carry a point and shot camera all the time, so taking pictures and videos on the fly is a priority now. Although the camera in a BlackBerry 10 device isn't horrible it can improve and should be made a high priority.

I've made my Z30 v2 wish list before:

- Form factor can remain as 5" display is plenty.
    - Better optimization on the camera. (Don't need more MP, just need to invest in better optics/lens and time to really make that camera app fast. Auto-focus can be so horrible at times.)
    - 1080p super amoled display with a higher ppi. (I put this in for those that complain about the screen all the time)
    - Brightness adjustment needs to be increased. (Again for the complainers)
    - Upgraded CPU and 3 to 4 GB RAM. (CPU doesn't have to be best in class but it should be relevant at the time the phone is released and work well with the OS)
    - Battery life is fine but if they'd like to put in something a little bigger, I won't be stopping them.
    - Bring back the separated HDMI and microUSB. (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression you can't charge and use HDMI at the same time with the new single ports)

Everything else the Z30 does is fine for me. As long as they keep optimizing and adding additional functionality to the OS over time, I'll be happy camper.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    kbz1960 and tanzarian like this.
    01-21-15 06:49 AM
    You can charge and use HMDI/other_video with the slimport. What you can't do is video output and USB at the same time (so, hook up to a pc display and control the device using a USB mouse/keyboard, for example).

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 07:22 AM
    I don't agree with his talk about snappy news or speed of opening contacts or calendar. My calendar is packed full and I have more than a few hundred contacts. It close to instant open. I am on 10.2.

Really anyone who expects outstanding pics from a phone is careless and in denial. Buy a camera!

Posted from a Z30. Get one!
    01-21-15 07:56 AM
    Really anyone who expects outstanding pics from a phone is careless and in denial. Buy a camera!
    I don't expect outstanding pics; I expect pictures that are on par with what high-end phones on other platforms offer. It's not an unreasonable request
    01-21-15 08:13 AM
    He forgot Security, wow say good by dude and enjoy your 6
    01-21-15 08:54 AM
    You can charge and use HMDI/other_video with the slimport. What you can't do is video output and USB at the same time (so, hook up to a pc display and control the device using a USB mouse/keyboard, for example).

Posted via CB10
    Ah ok so although it's not limited in the fashion I mentioned, it is limited to using USB OTG and HDMI out. Well then, I stand corrected but am technically right in asking for microUSB and HDMI to be separated still.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    01-21-15 06:01 PM
    Ah ok so although it's not limited in the fashion I mentioned, it is limited to using USB OTG and HDMI out. Well then, I stand corrected but am technically right in asking for microUSB and HDMI to be separated still.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    One should also mention that the slimport allows video output for many more video devices than just hdmi. There's Display Port, DVI support, even VGA I believe. So... it has its advantages over a simple micro hdmi port. What they need to do is enable both usb data, usb power AND video data to be transmitted simultaneously. I believe the competing standard (MHL) has recently release a version capable of this.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 08:31 PM
    Cool, I just learned about "Swipe-to-preview in camera". Thanks OP!
    What do you mean by this?
    01-21-15 09:49 PM
    What do you mean by this?
    What this means - when you take a picture, you'll see the new picture on the bottom left of the screen.

You can still keep taking pictures -or- if you want to quickly see the last photo... place your thumb or finger on the picture and drag it to the top right corner.

This will expand the photo so you can see the picture - release the picture and you're back in the camera app and taking pictures .

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    kbz1960, FF22 and geomun like this.
    01-22-15 01:26 AM
    What this means - when you take a picture, you'll see the new picture on the bottom left of the screen.

You can still keep taking pictures -or- if you want to quickly see the last photo... place your thumb or finger on the picture and drag it to the top right corner.

This will expand the photo so you can see the picture - release the picture and you're back in the camera app and taking pictures .

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    This is the best feature on the BB camera - with one thumb stroke you can preview the picture, and either share it or delete it, without lifting the finger!
    01-22-15 10:57 PM
    So guys........ after 5 days with the iPhone 6, I've had enough of it.

Typing really is crap - the ability of the BB to swipe words up while typing is invaluable. Even though I could buy a keyboard on the iPhone, it doesnt work for all apps in the iPhone.

Furthermore another annoying thing on the iPhone is you cannot share/upload photos to third party apps like WhatsApp or BBM directly from the camera app. BB does a really good job of allowing you to select what method of sharing you would like.

The last straw was when WhatsApp released the web version of WhatsApp and it doesn't support iPhones. I use WhatsApp a lot and that just sold it for me - iPhone isn't good enough.

I'm back on the Z30 and I have found a buyer for my iPhone 6.
    01-22-15 11:00 PM
    Well that escalated quickly...

Posted via CB10
    01-22-15 11:55 PM
    Lol this whole thread made me chuckle. Mostly because much of my family are iPhone users, and they think I'm crazy to be using a BlackBerry still. I just keep telling them that it works for me and they just don't seem to understand what that means haha.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-15 12:04 AM
    For the majority of the public, apps is all that matters. Most adapt to the horrific typing experience in sacrifice to the large app support. On iOS this is crucial because the stock bottom level OS is abysmal. It always was really and apps is what truly launched that platform. If you handed out iPhones and Z30's to 100 people and gave them no access to 3rd party apps it would be a slaughter against the iPhone. That's not the reality we live in though so it's hardly worth the speculation. I own an iPhone for compatibility testing and app usage, beyond that I would never attempt to use it for communications. having notifications all over the place, well... I'm just not into that, I organize things, my communications have set rules, filters, categories that automate and adjust to my usage. iOS just does not offer that. Plenty of my friends use iOS devices as their only daily device and they all struggle with the same stupid bugs and "features" that get constantly blasted on this site as well as Apples. They just consider it the way things are. Nobody really makes fun of me, like I see many people on here say they experience. I'm also the only sysadmin in my group of friends so I take it that they know that if anyones opinion on what the best device would be it would be mine and they would be trumped. I truly think that if BB could merely fix a few minor things in the OS and really really beef up the hardware that there could be no more ridicule.

There are many around here that say the hardware doesn't matter, the OS runs on next to nothing. Those people are dead wrong. The camera on all BB devices suck, the CPU's are dated, the memory is small on most and that equates directly to an inferior experience for people who only care about opening the latest social networking apps. My z30 is slower than all my android devices, even older ones, and slower than my iPhone 6 (which I really barely ever use at all), but the functionality and setup of the OS is so superior I can't picture myself using anything else. They need to fix Exchange bugs (it's super annoying that notes and tasks just do not sync properly, sure they sort of work but they don't work in the way that's intended, and they need to utilize Exchange categories in a manner outside simple tagging ((i could write a page on just this alone)) ), they need to really iron out the camera and put some hardware in there that takes impressively good photos, and they need to make opening apps like contacts, calendar, etc be near instant, they are on other devices. The hub is the holy grail of mobile communications. It mimics in many ways the experience of using outlook on a computer, in that everything is all in one place. That to me is irreplaceable and nobody else is really offering anything close to that. The Hub is what should be advertised, it's the heart of the entire OS and nobody talks about it outside of this community. having 9 email accounts on an iPhone is an absolute joke, it's completely unusable. On a BB it's the same as having one.
    01-23-15 04:04 AM
    So guys........ after 5 days with the iPhone 6, I've had enough of it.

Typing really is crap - the ability of the BB to swipe words up while typing is invaluable. Even though I could buy a keyboard on the iPhone, it doesnt work for all apps in the iPhone.

Furthermore another annoying thing on the iPhone is you cannot share/upload photos to third party apps like WhatsApp or BBM directly from the camera app. BB does a really good job of allowing you to select what method of sharing you would like.

The last straw was when WhatsApp released the web version of WhatsApp and it doesn't support iPhones. I use WhatsApp a lot and that just sold it for me - iPhone isn't good enough.

I'm back on the Z30 and I have found a buyer for my iPhone 6.
    If only everyone had the opportunity to test drive devices in this fashion. I have a feeling we'd have a lot more BlackBerry 10 device users.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    Last edited by Carmels; 01-26-15 at 06:31 AM.
    01-23-15 07:13 AM
30 12