A refinement to the Z30 would be a removable /Swappable battery. What are your opinions people?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:46 AM
    If it lasts as long as they are claiming (25 hours) then I'm fine with a non removable battery.
    09-28-13 09:57 AM
    The new battery in the Z30 is supposed to be super big and efficient. We'll see!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    09-28-13 09:58 AM
    There are a couple of ways to handle power in a portable device - especially one which potentially requires as much power as a large screen multi-radio device does such as the Z30.

The choices designers face are either a thick battery - designed to be easy to handle and removable or a thin sheet battery which is basically always in place.

The BlackBerry Z30 includes a 2880 mAh battery, the largest battery ever built into a BlackBerry smartphone. In the case of the Z30 the choice was to basically turn the whole back half of the phone into a battery but thus keeping the actual handset really slim. While the claims of up to 25 hours of constant use might be at the high end of reality the stand-by times are incredible: Up to 18 hours talk time and up to 16 days standby time means that the device will be ready to use even after the longest flights to Asia. This is far better than watching iPhone users scurry from power source to power source like squirrels harbouring nuts for winter.

Everything in the device from the choice of CPU, GPU, AMOLED screen, Radios (and new Paratek Antenna) and then finally the battery enhancements in BlackBerry 10 OS version 10.2 all combine to make this the most power efficient and longest lasting BlackBerry ever manufactured. Even the screen dimensions of 1280 x 720 resolution, at 295 ppi [16:9 aspect ratio] are designed to give a beautiful rendering in very high definition - but not waste the extra GPU resources required to run 1080p (and the human eye won't be able to tell the difference on that size of screen).

Summary : We're used to removable batteries on our BlackBerry's but to keep on moving we need to have larger power reserves and a non-removable battery is the best compromise given all the other design parameters.
    bluetroll and johnnyuk like this.
    09-28-13 10:18 AM
    The ability to swap batteries and/or carry a spare battery give me a sense of security. That's what I like. Not sure if a nonswapable battery is a good thing for ME and the way I use my devices. I dont like carrying chargers around lokking for electric outlets
    Last edited by spencerdl; 09-28-13 at 10:44 AM.
    si001 likes this.
    09-28-13 10:31 AM
    A non removable battery for the purpose of a seamless built and design, I can understand. This is so that devices will not have nonsense like lose battery door or creaks.

But the z30 spots a non removable battery and maintained a removable door, is quite the zzzzzz. I know it's for sim and sd card, but still.
    trwrt likes this.
    09-28-13 10:37 AM
    Every single cell phone I have owned has had the ability to swap out batteries, but after reading the Crackberry Z30 article and looking at the pictures of the white Z30 I might be persuaded to take more of a serious and second look at the new BlackBerry Flagship SMARTPHONE
    09-28-13 11:54 PM
    i totally agree.....unfortunately, the manufactures are not understanding this..i guess people don't use the phone for work anymore..especially if a client needs to get a hold of you...

The ability to swap batteries and/or carry a spare battery give me a sense of security. That's what I like. Not sure if a nonswapable battery is a good thing for ME and the way I use my devices. I dont like carrying chargers around lokking for electric outlets
    10-02-13 02:19 PM
    After thinking it thru with many different possibilities, I think I will continue to use my Z10 with its ability to swap batteries and hope that the NEXT round of Z's will revert back to one of the things Blackberry is known for and what most Blackberry consumers expect from their Blackberry device
    10-02-13 02:53 PM
    If it lasts as long as they are claiming (25 hours) then I'm fine with a non removable battery.
    When's the last time BlackBerry was accurate about......anything. That is the million dollar question
    10-06-13 03:52 AM
    A non removable battery for the purpose of a seamless built and design, I can understand. This is so that devices will not have nonsense like lose battery door or creaks.

But the z30 spots a non removable battery and maintained a removable door, is quite the zzzzzz. I know it's for sim and sd card, but still.
    Agree. What weird design. Look at bright side, one can switch back cover black and white depending on mood.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 08:24 AM
    i totally agree.....unfortunately, the manufactures are not understanding this..i guess people don't use the phone for work anymore..especially if a client needs to get a hold of you...
    I think that what you are seeing is hardware makers actually having the sales figures for additional batteries and seeing that in general the market does not actually care about removable batteries when it means having either a thicker device or a smaller battery in the device to start out with.

I would hope that BB do continue to make at least some of their devices with removable batteries, but I am certainly not going to sulk if that is not the case for all of them, if there is a particular model that I want that does not include a removable battery then I'll have to decide if I want to make that compromise or not to get the device, there are plenty of portable charging options if needed too.
    10-06-13 09:07 AM
    Agreed, but the convenience would be cool, but as you said, not overly needed.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 09:54 AM
    I agree

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 04:08 PM
    Looking online there is also the leather flip case that clips onto the back after removing the rear door.

Another function that may be seemed weird but provides an Aha moment.
    10-06-13 04:42 PM
    I have my Z10 in a Incepio case that is a pain to constantly take off and on so I use the battery pack to charge my Zed when I need to. BB10 phones don't require a battery pull to reboot anymore I have owned my Zed since Canadian launch and very rarely swap batteries and have had no problems.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:21 PM
    You guys are hilarious. What about a usb cord in your car. At your computers too.
    stlabrat likes this.
    10-06-13 06:39 PM
    I like the idea of a swap able battery what if and when the battery starts to get weak with time and use?
    Does this mean taking the Z30 to a repair Centre to exchange the battery and at what cost? I would have at least tried to keep the Z30 with the same set up as his little brother the Z10.

From my amazing Z10
    Spencerdl likes this.
    10-06-13 09:12 PM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:02 PM
    I would like to see how long it last taking pictures and videos. I went to theme parks with my grandchildren and thankfully I had the extra battery for my Z10. I didn't go too crazy, but I needed that battery.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 10:18 PM

It's also for accessories that will replace the door to keep the device as slim as possible.
    10-06-13 11:31 PM
    I've just ordered a Z30 and the first accessories i bought for it is a power bank. It's going to be a hassle keeping it plugged to the bank in emergency cases, but from what i've heard of from my friends who are already using it, they never had to.

For daily use, it'll last long enough for you to get home and charge it. Even with a night-out drinking.
    stlabrat likes this.
    10-19-13 10:21 AM
    That's why they make the aftermarket juicers for phones, there should be one made for BBRY also. What is the difference in a quick juicer and replacing the battery? One I can think of is your doesn't have to down to quick juice it.
    10-19-13 10:26 AM
    I like the idea of a swap able battery what if and when the battery starts to get weak with time and use?
    Does this mean taking the Z30 to a repair Centre to exchange the battery and at what cost? I would have at least tried to keep the Z30 with the same set up as his little brother the Z10.

From my amazing Z10
    I've been charging my playbook twice a day for well over 2 years now. My battery is still fine. Not showing any sign of wear and tear. Most people get something new within 2 years anyway.
    10-19-13 10:29 AM
    It's not the issue of changing phones or not within 2 years, it's about having a user replaceable battery if one ever needs to change it.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 10:55 AM
33 12