I ordered my Z30 on the Verizon release date and have not regretted it one bit. It's been tough and performs almost flawlessly. However my power button is definitely failing. I turned on Swipe to Unlock "just in case".... good thing battery life is not much of an issue!!

My question here is to ask whether the button from a GSM "global" version would interchange into the modified Verizon version? If so, is disassembly and accessing that difficult ? This is option 1.

I could buy another genuine VZW version off eBay and salvage the part (option 2) or just swap over (option 3) but to me, it's like buying a used car wondering what problems are going to crop up.

Option 4 is to hope mine hangs-on until the slider is available on Verizon (not holding my breath) or option 5 to change carriers to AT&T (even though I have generally been satisfied with Verizon for many years.)

Any thoughts, ideas, inspiration or input is welcome.

Cheerios!
    04-20-15 04:10 PM
    I don't know for sure but would suspect that that part of the unit would be the same on most units UNLESS it is part of some larger overall component.

I guess I rarely use the Power button. I have a case with the Sleeper Magnet. And the Volume Up/Down can be forced to reboot the unit.
    04-21-15 12:24 AM
    For now, I'm okay. I just had to get out of the habit of turning the screen off and reduced the time timeout. Swipe to unlock works fine and I've only had to reboot once in well over a year of use but as you say, the volume keys handle that. (A popup message notification got 'stuck' so I took a screen shot and that message also got 'stuck'!) And I suspect that if the power runs out of juice that plugging it in will turn it on.

The main annoyance is that I have activated the screen reader a few times and ALMOST powered the unit off without intending to because the button sticks.

I'm wondering how hard it is to get to that button. I have SMT equipment and should be able to replace just the button as you say but then again, I've never done SMT work on a flex cable (assuming the button is mounted to a flex cable.)

Thanks for your reply.
    04-21-15 09:29 AM
    There are videos of disassembly that might help you figure out what kind of work is involved.
    04-21-15 10:02 AM