I'm trying to find a free VPN setup so that I can connect to my home network when I'm away to control my home automation system, Control4. In the past I've just connected through PPPT using an iPhone or Android device directly to my WHS but from what I understand that is not possible with BB. I have recently upgraded my router to an Asus RT-AC68U so I believe I can VPN through that if going directly to my WHS using the *family.homeserver.com domian that I setup years ago is not an option. I'm not very knowledgeable about VPN so not sure what my options are.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    01-09-15 09:14 PM
    Team viewer.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 11:03 PM
    Team viewer.

Posted via CB10
    That wont work as I need to use my Control4 app but it has to be on my local network.
    01-10-15 09:07 AM
    RDC, try VNC. Number of options for actually controlling the computer itself.
    01-10-15 10:03 AM
    I don't actually want to control the remote computer, the app I use is on my BB. I just need to get access to my home network.
    01-10-15 01:19 PM
    I don't actually want to control the remote computer, the app I use is on my BB. I just need to get access to my home network.
    Ah, I thought you were using the app on the WHS, but on re-read, you said what you meant :P

Is your ASUS running stock firmware or openwrt? You can put StrongSwan on your openwrt router and get access.

Or if you want to run a VM on the WHS box (Virtual box is free), you could run a StrongSwan VM.

Is the control4 management done by IP or broadcast and have login/password? In other words, could you port forward the management port to your router, and use DDNS to know your home IP? No VPN needed.
    01-10-15 04:18 PM
    Stock firmware on the Asus.

I believe the C4 app uses the local ip of my controller.
    01-11-15 09:21 AM
    If you are looking for a vpn service, google "free vpn service". the top choices and comparisons are available there.

If you want to learn how to set up the RT-AC68u for vpn service i would start at asus's web site. They can give you the basics etc.
    I'm not looking for a free VPN service necessarily, just trying to figure out how to connect my Blackberry to my home network when I'm away from home. Once I'm connected to my home network my Control4 app will run on my BB and I can control my home automation. I don't have enough experience with VPN and remote access to know for sure how to go about it.

I originally setup my Windows Home Server to run as a VPN server using RDP and that worked fine for iPhone and Android but I don't know how to get it working on my BB.
    Last edited by jayace777; 01-13-15 at 09:31 AM.
    01-13-15 09:18 AM
    If you are looking for a vpn service, google "free vpn service". the top choices and comparisons are available there.

If you want to learn how to set up the RT-AC68u for vpn service i would start at asus's web site. They can give you the basics etc.
    A. Many of the top "free vpn service" do not support BB10. Hence the many VPN threads on CB.
    B. If you looked up the RT-AC68U, you'd see it has PPTP VPN, which BB10 doesn't support.

If he can edit the IP to connect to in his Control4 App, all he has to do is port forward the port in his router and then connect to his router's public IP. Easiest solution without VPN required.
    01-13-15 12:50 PM
    A. Many of the top "free vpn service" do not support BB10. Hence the many VPN threads on CB.
    B. If you looked up the RT-AC68U, you'd see it has PPTP VPN, which BB10 doesn't support.

If he can edit the IP to connect to in his Control4 App, all he has to do is port forward the port in his router and then connect to his router's public IP. Easiest solution without VPN required.
    Ok so it looks like I can edit the IP in my Control4 App, its the port forwarding on my router where I start to stumble. What do I need to configure in the port forwarding? How do I tell my router to let my C4 app in?
    01-13-15 01:53 PM
    You need to know what port your control 4 connects to, and the ip your control 4 uses. In the Asus, under port forwarding or virtual server, you want to forward all tcp/udp traffic for that port to the ip of control 4.

I'll ask my bro if he knows the control 4 port if you don't know.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 03:08 PM
    Ok I think I understand and I can find out on the C4 forums which port it uses. How vulnerable is my network by opening up those ports?

Edit: I found the port # and set it up and it works! Thank you very much!!!!!

I would still like to know how vulnerable my network is by doing this though.
    Last edited by jayace777; 01-13-15 at 04:06 PM.
    01-13-15 03:43 PM
    Ok I think I understand and I can find out on the C4 forums which port it uses. How vulnerable is my network by opening up those ports?

Edit: I found the port # and set it up and it works! Thank you very much!!!!!

I would still like to know how vulnerable my network is by doing this though.
    If you only let open the single port and IP that Control4 uses, then its limited to the Control4 only. If Control 4 has a login/password system and your password isn't easily guessed, then I would feel confident that you are protected by 99.9% of threats. But if there is no login/password on Control4, then you may want to add a firewall rule, but that will be tough as your IP will change when your mobile is in different locations...

So hopefully Control4 app has login/password.
    01-13-15 05:11 PM
    If you only let open the single port and IP that Control4 uses, then its limited to the Control4 only. If Control 4 has a login/password system and your password isn't easily guessed, then I would feel confident that you are protected by 99.9% of threats. But if there is no login/password on Control4, then you may want to add a firewall rule, but that will be tough as your IP will change when your mobile is in different locations...

So hopefully Control4 app has login/password.
    The app does have a login and password for remote access to the system but the system itself on the local network does not.

Thanks again for all your help.
    01-13-15 07:47 PM
    The app does have a login and password for remote access to the system but the system itself on the local network does not.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Hmm, not sure if the Control4 app will only ever talk to logged in/authenticated Control4 app. If so, then risk is minimal. If its plain, wide open web server, then this would be opening up potential problems. If the Control4 forums are really helpful, they might be able to speak to the security of the app.

I'll ask my bro if he's had to work around something like this for his home.
    01-13-15 07:54 PM
    Here is the answer to your question.... How to enable remote access for your Control4 iPhone app over 3G �?? impress your friends or annoy family without even being home. | C4Central

It was the first hit when I searched google for "Control4 app ports used" The links are good in the instructions. I have used them myself in the past to configure family and friends routers for them remotely.
    01-18-15 02:38 PM
    01-18-15 02:40 PM
    01-18-15 04:44 PM
    Here is the answer to your question.... How to enable remote access for your Control4 iPhone app over 3G �?? impress your friends or annoy family without even being home. | C4Central

It was the first hit when I searched google for "Control4 app ports used" The links are good in the instructions. I have used them myself in the past to configure family and friends routers for them remotely.
    SQL for this link. Might just be temporary.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 04:45 PM
    That's where I found the port # as well. Just don't like the vulnerability associated with this.
    01-22-15 03:28 PM