Does this mean that I can connect to my PC monitor via the HDMI connection on the z30 and this will enable the monitor or will I need the miracast dongle
    You don't need anything but an hdmi cable to use the hdmi out on your device

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 05:11 PM
    Does this mean that I can connect to my PC monitor via the HDMI connection on the z30 and this will enable the monitor or will I need the miracast dongle
    You could always plug your phone into a monitor with hdmi. This just does it wirelessly, unfortunately this guy didnt have a miracast enabled monitor to show that.
    10-09-13 05:17 PM
    Pretty sweet! Thanks for sharing!

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 05:45 PM
    Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
    10-09-13 06:06 PM
    You could always plug your phone into a monitor with hdmi. This just does it wirelessly, unfortunately this guy didnt have a miracast enabled monitor to show that.
    I haven't seen this before so daft question "How would I know if mine is miracast enabled"

Note Edit, Looks as though I need a dongle as my monitor isn't wi fi enabled, I would like to understand this more because this looks like an awesome feature that I can make good use of particularly messaging from my desktop.
    Any offer of explanation (that I can understand)welcome
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 10-09-13 at 06:39 PM.
    10-09-13 06:12 PM
    I'm curious to see if USB host will work with printing.

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    I will try it for you!

Edit. I'm just waiting for the adapter...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by cheadlender; 10-10-13 at 04:37 AM.
    10-09-13 06:34 PM
    Hmm! That's my ticket to riches. Ima make an app that allows USB hosting to connect to any printer!!

(so 3 million users X $1.99 = enough money for me!)

Ok, I'll do it!!! Ima be rich!!!

Lol! If it was that easy. Lol! But I enjoyed the moment.

cheadlender likes this.
    10-10-13 03:57 AM
    This makes me so mad!!

This is exactly a potential "killer" feature that Blackberry is not perfecting and then marketing! Yes, some other devices do this. But Blackberry is really close to getting this right. If they would perfect this then they could sell it as a "key differentiator" from other devices. Imagine not needing a laptop and instead doing *everything* from your phone! And the peripherals could be easy profits for Blackberry.

Apple's killer features are mostly perfected examples of things that are already out there. Blackberry could pull an Apple by perfecting this and forcing the other manufacturers to scramble to catch-up. They could market this as a money-saving design because it eliminates the need for more than one electronic device.

grumble. grumble.
    cheadlender and wincyUt like this.
    10-10-13 04:14 PM
    What a great feature! Thanks for making that video.
    Now we just need some good accessories that does not clutter the desk. Just a nice Z30 stand that makes the connections as soon as you slot it in and...away we work on keyboard and big screen... Bliss!!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 11:49 PM
    Sweet setup James Richardson had there! It could almost replace a computer!

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 12:22 AM
    That was a great video, I can see myself doing that with a blue tooth keyboard and mouse. This would actually be great at work.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 01:17 AM
    Now all we need is a dock...

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 01:23 AM
    We also need a landscape home screen for the z30...
    Or does it have that?

That would be friggen awesome, landscape icons and active frames.

I hate the look of the z10 on my big screen having to use portrait mode only

Posted via CB10
    redk likes this.
    10-11-13 07:17 AM
    I'm curious to see if USB host will work with printing.

Sadly, I had no luck with it.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 04:26 PM
    Cool stuff, but BlackBerry DOES NOT know how to effectively market things.

Their way of marketing assumes you are in some type of business convention instead of a real life situation.

You are now in my Bingo Book
    10-14-13 01:54 AM
    Wow, this is jokes.

Anyone got the Z30 wallpaper he is using?
    10-14-13 09:15 AM
    If your PC monitor has no HDMI input connector, i.e. is not a TV screen but offers beside the analog VGA input connector also a DVI (Digital Video Interface) DVI-D (D = Digital) type connector you can get a an adapter from HDMI to DVI-D and then can use a regular DVI-D cable to close the loop to your monitor.

My monitor has such a digital input and I can see my Playbook's screen on my monitor with the above set up. The same would apply for all BB10 phone models with microHDMI output. BTW, the Netgear Push2TV , model PTV3000 as shown in the video, has only one HDMI output available, i.e. the same standard as the BB10 phones. So check your monitor.

If your monitor has only the 15 pin Analog VGA input connector you might want to check out the Micro HDMI to VGA Converter Y-5321 from Unitek. I have not tried out this adapter just googled it..
    daveycrocket likes this.
    10-14-13 10:19 PM
    This makes me so mad!!

This is exactly a potential "killer" feature that Blackberry is not perfecting and then marketing! Yes, some other devices do this. But Blackberry is really close to getting this right. If they would perfect this then they could sell it as a "key differentiator" from other devices. Imagine not needing a laptop and instead doing *everything* from your phone! And the peripherals could be easy profits for Blackberry.

Apple's killer features are mostly perfected examples of things that are already out there. Blackberry could pull an Apple by perfecting this and forcing the other manufacturers to scramble to catch-up. They could market this as a money-saving design because it eliminates the need for more than one electronic device.

grumble. grumble.
    This really isn't new or special in anyway though. It isn't "some other device do this" it is more like every single Android phone I have used that came out this year has been able to do it straight out of the box without a single app download. I have 3 Android devices that can do it right now. 4 if you want to count my Nexus 4, but that one came out in 2012 and couldn't do USB otg out of the box. And Android phones can fully be used in landscape mode. Even if a app is written to only work in portrait mode, it runs in landscape if ya really want it too.

It is a awesome feature though, I've enjoyed using USB OTG on smartphones for years now. Good to see BlackBerry is finally catching up to what phones from 2011 could do. Sadly, you can only use the Z30 as a host. I would have loved to have this feature on my LEZ10 or DAC, even though the portrait only home screen makes it a little less useful.
    SteelGreek likes this.
    10-17-13 05:49 AM
    very much agreed about the need for a landscape desktop - is there any news on this?
    10-17-13 06:10 AM
    Come on landscape home screen and multimedia dock! It would be very interesting to come home, slap the Z10 into its dockhub (with HDMI, charging USB hub, and kb/mouse already connected to hub ports), fire off a couple of emails, RDP into a server at work or over Citrix, and check on things without even opening up a laptop. Heck, why not throw in a phone call using my BT headset with a vendor while we're at it?

Now THAT would be a pretty amazing feat to pull off.
    jedibeeftrix and cheadlender like this.
    10-17-13 12:07 PM
    Yeah, I've got to get me an HDMI cable and a BT mouse... this is potentially very cool. Citrix Receiver beta works pretty well. Would be an interesting solution in a pinch!
    10-17-13 08:31 PM
    Why isn't this a Blackberry commercial? I guess magic carpets made more sense to the marketing team.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 08:47 PM
    This really isn't new or special in anyway though. It isn't "some other device do this" it is more like every single Android phone I have used that came out this year has been able to do it straight out of the box without a single app download. I have 3 Android devices that can do it right now. 4 if you want to count my Nexus 4, but that one came out in 2012 and couldn't do USB otg out of the box. And Android phones can fully be used in landscape mode. Even if a app is written to only work in portrait mode, it runs in landscape if ya really want it too.

It is a awesome feature though, I've enjoyed using USB OTG on smartphones for years now. Good to see BlackBerry is finally catching up to what phones from 2011 could do. Sadly, you can only use the Z30 as a host. I would have loved to have this feature on my LEZ10 or DAC, even though the portrait only home screen makes it a little less useful.
    Exactly- I like streaming YouTube videos to my new TV through my original Nexus 7. With that said though it is an understated feature even with Android devices. BlackBerry could do some good by talking about these features... one of my managers said she was actually jealous that BBM could now screen share which she saw on the Verizon TV ads. Granted she then said she would never actually use it but it would be a fun feature to have. I feel like your average consumer would feel the same way about USB OTG and the miracast options (heck even wifi-direct if they can get their act together with the Z10). They'd just want to have the ability to do all kinds of cool stuff
    Saiga likes this.
    10-17-13 10:21 PM
    Exactly- I like streaming YouTube videos to my new TV through my original Nexus 7. With that said though it is an understated feature even with Android devices. BlackBerry could do some good by talking about these features... one of my managers said she was actually jealous that BBM could now screen share which she saw on the Verizon TV ads. Granted she then said she would never actually use it but it would be a fun feature to have. I feel like your average consumer would feel the same way about USB OTG and the miracast options (heck even wifi-direct if they can get their act together with the Z10). They'd just want to have the ability to do all kinds of cool stuff
    That's all very true. It is surprising how many people have phones capable of USB OTG and Miracast, yet never even know about the features. Many of those that do know about it, rarely if ever use it. Much like the example you used of BBM screenshare.

BlackBerry should push the feature, even if it is old news to some of us, a ton of people out there has never heard of the features and might be blown away by them.
    SteelGreek likes this.
    10-17-13 10:54 PM
49 12