So I have the Z30, a powered OTG adapter (powers the hub), and a USB hub with an SD card reader built-in. So the Z30 only recognizes FAT32 formatted hard drives. I was planning to use the Z30 on a long trip to backup photos and videos with an external hard drive and an SD card. But FAT32 only allows up to 4GB per file. And with video, I will need something larger. Files can be larger. But also, my camera only supports ExFAT formatting.

So it's a bust. No ExFAT support means that OTG is useless for me (who will be backing up multiple terabytes of data over the next month).

Further, without external power, the Z30 will not power a 5400rpm bus-powered external drive. Not a big deal, I didn't think it would (that's why I bought a powered OTG cable), but I thought I might as well leave some information for you guys to read.

I'm currently formatting some drives in order to perform a Raid 0 and Raid 1 test, and I'll leave an update later.

Supremely disappointed. I know most Android phones only play well with FAT32, but I can't see how this could be a firmware/hardware issue, rather than a simple software issue.
    BB4matt likes this.
    04-05-14 02:22 PM
    Not a hw issue.. it's a licensing issue. MS wants a ridiculous amount to support this which is why nobody else supports it. That said, they don't really support formatting the SD card big either but it reads and writes big drives just fine.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 02:30 PM
    Not a hw issue.. it's a licensing issue. MS wants a ridiculous amount to support this which is why nobody else supports it. That said, they don't really support formatting the SD card big either but it reads and writes big drives just fine.

Posted via CB10
    How do you explain the fact that 64gb micro-SD cards are read and formatted using ExFAT by BB10 phones? I suppose it won't read an externally formatted ExFAT card, though.

Is there a separate license involved in this case? Some mumbo jumbo going on behind the scenes during an in-camera 64gb format?
    04-05-14 02:37 PM
    FAT 32 is license free and circumvents the rules associated with legal distribution of exFAT formats.

I am using a 128 GB SSD with an USB OTG port which is powered from the Z30 directly and works well within the 4GB file size limit.

BlackBerry has an exFAT license from MS but how many people are using it in a phone environment?

Why would one set up a RAID system for a Z30?
    Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 07:27 PM
    FAT 32 is license free and circumvents the rules associated with legal distribution of exFAT formats.

I am using a 128 GB SSD with an USB OTG port which is powered from the Z30 directly and works well within the 4GB file size limit.

BlackBerry has an exFAT license from MS but how many people are using it in a phone environment?

Why would one set up a RAID system for a Z30?
    Just curious.
    I'm going on a long trip, and shooting a documentary. I wanted to use the Z30 to transfer data from SD cards to mirrored hard drives. Avoid having to lug around my laptop with me all the time. It's kind of a modern notion, I guess. A fun experiment. I'm sure it'll be a thing in a year or two. Great tool for lightweight travel. And it would reduce the value of my luggage.

But file sizes will outweigh the limits of fat32, unfortunately.

Now, update: bb10 will recognize two hard drives simultaneously, but it won't display the name of the drive. So it looks like this:

USB-OTG a Disappointment-img_20140405_185356.png

And bb10 goes batty if you try to use a pair of mirrored drives:

USB-OTG a Disappointment-img_20140405_190050.png

I didn't try a striped pair, but I'm mostly certain that it would have failed worse than two identical drives. Just another note, placing data on any of those 4 drives won't carry over when you plug into a computer.

There's a small contribution from me. These phones aren't computer replacements yet. Maybe in a few years, though.
    04-05-14 09:22 PM
    Can you format the drives from the Z30 itself? Does it offer any options aside from Fat32?
    deadcowboy likes this.
    04-05-14 10:10 PM
    Can you format the drives from the Z30 itself? Does it offer any options aside from Fat32?
    No, there are no storage settings available, despite the popup that directs you there.
    04-05-14 10:24 PM
    I've tried multiple USB keys and they work great. Pretty sure they are on FAT32 though...
    04-06-14 12:29 AM