As a biologist and naturalist I know basically no one in my field that still has a blackberry except the older group that have really old phones (although even some of them are on iphone/android). Most have switched to iphone (I hate iTunes and so really wouldn't consider IPhone) the rest use android. Not because the phones themselves are superior to bb phones although specs on a few are much more impressive especially the cameras which in my field is an extremely useful tool.

The main reason they have switched and that I am considering is that so far that I have been able to see blackberry has no North American guides for wildflowers and the only tree one that I could find was maybe halfway decent. I cant even find any good guides as PDF or Ebook. I keep being told that anything you can get for android you can get or sideload but I have find nothing.

I have supported BB in my small way for over 10 years but as my needs have evolved BB hasn't produced what I need that I can see. If someone knows where I can find what I need for my work and stay with BB let me know what I have missed in my search please. I admit I have one personal desire for an app that BB hasn't been able to convince to join the lineup yet but that one isn't as important to me as the ones mentioned above.
    09-30-13 07:24 PM

I have supported BB in my small way for over 10 years but as my needs have evolved BB hasn't produced what I need that I can see..
    You seem to of have come to your own conclusion already. Not sure why you're seeking out the opinions of others. If a product is no longer serving your needs or no longer working for you, then why would you force it? Only you know what you need from your device and seemingly, what you need is no longer found on a BlackBerry.
    09-30-13 07:27 PM
    You seem to of have come to your own conclusion already. Not sure why you're seeking out the opinions of others. If a product is no longer serving your needs or no longer working for you, then why would you force it? Only you know what you need from your device and seemingly, what you need is no longer found on a BlackBerry.
    Hey bla1ze!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 07:45 PM
    You could always buy a 7" Android tablet for your application needs to compliment a BlackBerry phone. Since they're small, they are pretty portable.The new Nexus 7 is pretty slick. I use it with my Q10.

If that doesn't do it for you, you have time to switch your phone out if you don't like it. Get the Z30 and try to sideload the apps you're looking for. Use it for a week or so and if that doesn't work for you, get an Android device.
    09-30-13 07:51 PM
    The tablet idea is a good suggestion but if you only want to carry one device then get an Android phone. Chances of all the apps you're looking for becoming available on BlackBerry 10 phones in the next little while is slim to none. Just do your research on which one because there are a lot of Android phones. I'm fond of the Xperia Z and the Oppo Find 5 personally. They may not be the best Android phones available today but they'd both suit my needs.....and at the end of the day that's what you need a phone for.
    09-30-13 10:26 PM
    I have been trying to find the apps i'm looking for to side load. I have even been in contact with Audubon guides to try to buy the apk and see if I can get it changed into a BAR. I guess the post is a last ditch effort to see if anyone has found the apps on BB10 or found the apps to side load that I have been unable to. I don't want to leave blackberry but these are items I need in the field.

I did consider the tablet but I also bought the playbook last year and well I think my wife would break the new tablet over my head if I bought another after just a year...
    09-30-13 10:28 PM
    i'm going to give it another month maybe then if I still can't find what I need my upgrade will likely be to the xperia z1 seems like it would offer what I need, the waterproof is a huge plus since I sometimes have to work in the rain and it would be nice not to worry about my phone when that happens
    09-30-13 10:30 PM
    You seem to of have come to your own conclusion already. Not sure why you're seeking out the opinions of others. If a product is no longer serving your needs or no longer working for you, then why would you force it?
    I think OP is asking for help, not cracking on BB. Seems to me there's one small issue he has and is asking if anyone knows a work around. I don't have an answer, or I'd lay it down.
    I loved my Z10. Hands down the best mobile OS out there. There's a few things I couldn't live with, tho. I'll be back when they get worked out.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using CB Forums Mobile App
    Geeoff likes this.
    09-30-13 10:50 PM
    As a biologist and naturalist I know basically no one in my field that still has a blackberry except the older group that have really old phones (although even some of them are on iphone/android). Most have switched to iphone (I hate iTunes and so really wouldn't consider IPhone) the rest use android. Not because the phones themselves are superior to bb phones although specs on a few are much more impressive especially the cameras which in my field is an extremely useful tool.
    If the camera is one of the bigger things you're interested in I'd check out the lumia 1020.
    10-01-13 02:54 AM
    I would consider a phone with a good quality camera and a 7"/10" Windows tablet. You are more likely to find the guides you need either on the Internet or for a PC. The bigger screen of the PC would help you perform the research and background reading you require better than any phone screen. The phone could act as a wireless hot spot or modem for your PC / tablet. A BlackBerry Q5 or Z30 with their large batteries and endurance would be very useful in an outdoor context. The Z30 would have a better camera. Nokia also make good camera phones and there is a rumoured Nokia tablet on the way.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 04:00 AM
    Online guides are great but my data is no good stateside and I travel between Canada and the states often, or when I am doing vegetation surveys or just hiking in remote areas without signal online content is of no use. So I need to have everything available offline. If had known how things would be going I probably would've bought an android tablet and then the unavailability of a few helpful apps on the phone wouldn't matter but I already have a playbook so I can use that for some items but I need a phone to pick up the slack. Or like I said maybe these items do exist I just haven't found them yet.
    Last edited by projectmx; 10-01-13 at 05:16 AM.
    10-01-13 04:58 AM
    Lol we are so far behind the curve that it's a no brainer at this point. Switch.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:33 AM

The main reason they have switched and that I am considering is that so far that I have been able to see blackberry has no North American guides for wildflowers and the only tree one that I could find was maybe halfway decent. I cant even find any good guides as PDF or Ebook. I keep being told that anything you can get for android you can get or sideload but I have find nothing.

I have supported BB in my small way for over 10 years but as my needs have evolved BB hasn't produced what I need that I can see. If someone knows where I can find what I need for my work and stay with BB let me know what I have missed in my search please. I admit I have one personal desire for an app that BB hasn't been able to convince to join the lineup yet but that one isn't as important to me as the ones mentioned above.
    Try listing the app (apk) and see if someone can find it in a bar file for you to load? Or go to "Apk2bar.org " and search for it?...good idea huh?

Trusted Member Genius
    10-02-13 05:04 AM
    Try listing the app (apk) and see if someone can find it in a bar file for you to load? Or go to "Apk2bar.org " and search for it?...good idea huh?

Trusted Member Genius
    to many people, sideloading is just too much of a work
    not everyone is a tech-head. most just want to use their device 'as-it-is'
    10-02-13 05:12 AM

Trusted Member Genius
    I have asked good ereader and a few of the other people on here who seem to know where all of the bar and apk files are and none can produce the adubon guides or a CAD file viewer which is another huge app missing from the lineup that engineers and biologists need for work out in the field. And do you honestly freaking think I haven't used the d@mn search?!!! There is an online DWG viewer but it is slow and again only works if you happen to have good signal which I don't have all the time. There is even a thread here with a link to the company trying to get them to make a BB app and it started back in 2011 or earlier. Audubon I have been bugging since 2010 for my torch, then my playbook and now for BB10 also but still nothing
    10-02-13 05:13 AM
    You could always buy a 7" Android tablet for your application needs to compliment a BlackBerry phone. Since they're small, they are pretty portable.The new Nexus 7 is pretty slick. I use it with my Q10.

If that doesn't do it for you, you have time to switch your phone out if you don't like it. Get the Z30 and try to sideload the apps you're looking for. Use it for a week or so and if that doesn't work for you, get an Android device.
    This is definitely what I would suggest, you get more screen estate for reading the guides etc no fiddling about on a smaller screen and you get to use the best phone for phone calls, email etc!
    10-02-13 05:13 AM
    to many people, sideloading is just too much of a work
    not everyone is a tech-head. most just want to use their device 'as-it-is'
    I don't mind sideloading I have a ton of apps sideloaded onto my playbook but its all games basically nothing useful except a couple of map and hiking apps I guess
    10-02-13 05:15 AM
    This is definitely what I would suggest, you get more screen estate for reading the guides etc no fiddling about on a smaller screen and you get to use the best phone for phone calls, email etc!
    I've seen the S3 and z10 side by side at work and no one has been able to point out a real difference in phone call quality or email. Build quality in the z10 possibly may be better but that will tell in the long run.
    10-02-13 05:18 AM
    I'll check around and see what I can find for you.

Trusted Member Genius
    10-02-13 05:26 AM
    I'll check around and see what I can find for you.

Trusted Member Genius
    thanks, I've looked a ton but maybe I missed something
    10-02-13 05:27 AM