I currently have a Q10 issued by work on Verizon in USA. My personal phone is on Bell in Canada. I recently changed carriers and cancelled my contract with Bell. So I have a an unlocked Z30 sitting around. Liking the large real estate on Z30, I decided to see if the Q10 simcard would work on the unlocked Z30. Lo and behold it did. Data and voice plans work. The only issue is I would no longer get my work e-mails as this was set up my IT staff. I contacted IT about switching this to the Z30. However I was told that Verizon rejected the device and won't be able to activate it on their network. So I mentioned to IT that when I switched SIM and Z30 it was working. So what is Verizon talking about. IT's response was that though the phone is working now it's not guaranteed that it will continue to work on Verizon.

My question is can Verizon do this. Kick me off their network if I am using an unlocked phone? Also can they tell that I am using an unlocked phone?
    12-22-14 12:42 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier and requires Verizon-approved phones. So the only Z30 that will work on their network is the STA100-3, not the STA100-5 that can be used on Bell.
    12-22-14 12:44 PM
    Verizon is a CDMA carrier and requires Verizon-approved phones. So the only Z30 that will work on their network is the STA100-3, not the STA100-5 that can be used on Bell.

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping I could use the Z30.
    12-22-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks for your answer. I was hoping I could use the Z30.
    Is Verizon the only option through work? Because the Z30 you have can be used on AT&T and TMO.
    12-22-14 01:00 PM
    Is Verizon the only option through work? Because the Z30 you have can be used on AT&T and TMO.
    Good suggestion. We can chose other carriers. I will ask to see if it can be approved.
    12-22-14 01:02 PM
    Out of curiosity do you know why STA-100-5 is working using Verizon SIM card? As I mentioned I can get data and voice coverage. Is it because I am in Canada and not on verizon network. Technically, I am roaming on Rogers network. Would it stop working if I was in States?
    12-22-14 04:57 PM
    I was using the sim card out of my work att ip4s in my verizon z30 and it worked perfect.

You might not get lte all the time but it worked just fine
    12-22-14 05:07 PM
    I was using the sim card out of my work att ip4s in my verizon z30 and it worked perfect.

Thanks. I might test it out to see if it works.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 05:22 PM
    Out of curiosity do you know why STA-100-5 is working using Verizon SIM card? As I mentioned I can get data and voice coverage. Is it because I am in Canada and not on verizon network. Technically, I am roaming on Rogers network. Would it stop working if I was in States?
    Interesting. I wouldn't have expected this to happen, but my guess is the same as yours--roaming. Since there's no Verizon network in Canada to "check" the phone's ESN/IMEI, the phone just works. But when you hit the US, I would expect your Verizon SIM to try and verify against the Verizon network, which would reject your phone.

OP is talking about a Verizon SIM in a non-Verizon Z30. Your situation is different, because AT&T does not have the same limitations in place that Verizon (and Sprint) does.
    12-22-14 05:25 PM
    While Verizon is CDMA, the BlackBerry Z30 STA100-3 phone models will work on certain GMS bands. I just returned from India and my Z30 worked brilliantly there. In fact, many times I had better reception than others roaming on their AT&T issued iPhone 6 and 5S models. Even BlackBerry 's mapping program outperformed competitor programs on the iPhones specifically built to operate solely on GSM networks.

Posted via Z30 running 10.3.1.821
    12-22-14 05:40 PM