With USB on the go, it would be awesome if they had a USB to ethernet adaptor. Useless for most people but for those that configure network equipment like me, it would be awesome. Also, a USB serial interface would be great for routers and diagnosis equipment.

These are niche markets but they are chances to offer things the competition does not offer.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:12 PM
    09-29-13 10:22 PM
    yeah thats cool but i doubt the software on the Z30 will take advantage of that, which is what the op is trying to say
    09-29-13 10:23 PM
    yeah thats cool but i doubt the software on the Z30 will take advantage of that, which is what the op is trying to say
    That's why he was commenting on the USB to Go feature, because it potentially could be used with an adapter. So I looked to see if such an adapter existed, and it does.
    09-29-13 10:27 PM
    That's why he was commenting on the USB to Go feature, because it potentially could be used with an adapter. So I looked to see if such an adapter existed, and it does.
    sorry i thought you were just posting the adapter because you miss read his post. would be a cool feature to use even if youre at home or at work and want to plug into a hardwired network rather then wifi, of for those IT guys that setup networks and need a tool other then a laptop to configure with
    09-29-13 10:36 PM
    sorry i thought you were just posting the adapter because you miss read his post. would be a cool feature to use even if youre at home or at work and want to plug into a hardwired network rather then wifi, of for those IT guys that setup networks and need a tool other then a laptop to configure with
    No problem. I get to speeding through pages sometimes and miss something, myself. I've discovered there's a world of Adapters and such that a lot of people don't know about, like the microUSB to microHDMI Adapters, and when he said Ethernet, it sparked a search, just to see. I try to learn something new every day, keeps my mind from rusting in peace.
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-29-13 10:43 PM
    We don't know for sure that this device WOULDN'T work, do we? And I've seen plenty of RS-232 to USB adapters... <shrugs>MIGHT work...
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-29-13 10:46 PM
    Buy QVS OTG MicroUSB Cable for Smartphone GPS, 1m Cables CC2218C-1M today at PC Connection

Adapters and connectors on another site, looks like they have a little bit of anything you can imagine.
    09-29-13 10:48 PM
    For the serial port you'd just need a terminal emulator that knew how to connect to it, I guess. Can you get to a shell prompt on BB10 and port over something like minicom?
    09-29-13 10:50 PM
    With USB on the go, it would be awesome if they had a USB to ethernet adaptor. Useless for most people but for those that configure network equipment like me, it would be awesome. Also, a USB serial interface would be great for routers and diagnosis equipment.

These are niche markets but they are chances to offer things the competition does not offer.

Posted via CB10
    With an Arduino board you should be able to make the necessary components to connect the Z30 to any electronic.

The USB have a special Serial support - i believe it was intended for printers, but i dont see any reasons why it should not work with some special software....

But - the Aurduino would allow for different electrical configurations, and controlled logic with the microcontroller.

Already there has been some showcases where 10.2 controlled relays to switch on/off, via USB,...
    09-30-13 12:00 AM
    Isn't this the kind of prosumer stuff BlackBerry want to get into?

Pointless to me as lawyer, but certainly great for those IT boffins out there.
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-30-13 12:09 AM
    This would be very handy for me and I could finally bin the old lappy I carry about for such jobs.

I even use ssh on my phone for working on network devices so this would see the end of me having to carry any additional equipment apart from a couple of adapters.

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10
    09-30-13 01:05 AM
    Yes, I actually looked into some adapters when I was considering a windows 8 tablet with microUSB.

Also, yes, I know this is possible with the hardware. It is the software that we need.

This would be a reason to upgrade to a z30 from my 10.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 08:10 AM
    USB to RS-232 would be awesome, after that you just need an interface on your phone to be able to send rs-232 command and control baud rate and you can talk to any projector / LCD etc with an rs-232 port. Certainly a very good selling point in my company.
    09-30-13 09:18 AM
    BlackBerry may be a niche player right now, but they need to look to as mant niche markets as they can. Then as more people buy them the more mainstream they will be.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 01:40 PM