I am on US Cellular and using a Torch 9850. It looks like they will not ever support OS 10 platform phones unless someone is hearing otherwise. It is so hard to get your hands on a z10 let alone a z30 to try out. I want to stick with Blackberry but not sure even if I stayed with the Torch, will US Cellular (and others) keep supporting OS7 legacy or dump those too? I know there is a learning curve with the z series but just do not want or desire to go to iphone or android. I have tried both and just not for me. US Cellular is having a difficult time getting iphones to work on their network according to my recent visit. In my small town the only other option is Verizon but they have nothing Blackberry in the store. Am I making the right choice by just ordering a z30 through VZW or sticking with what I have and hoping US Cellular keeps supporting? There comes a time when a person has to move up the technology so to speak but I am not much of an "app" user outside of browsing, email, text, phone and the fantastic calendar.

Any suggestions, thoughts and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
    11-19-13 07:30 PM
    The fact that they are having a hard time supporting iPhone and BlackBerry, it's time to switch to a new carrier, it will have its own perils but you might actually be happier with what you get in the form of Z30.

I am a Z10 user and very very happy with the phone and OS. With each new iteration of the OS it becomes better and closer to legacy features with some new things thrown in. Go for the Z30 with Verizon... you will have to learn the OS initially but worth the effort.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 07:43 PM
    The fact that they are having a hard time supporting iPhone and BlackBerry, it's time to switch to a new carrier, it will have its own perils but you might actually be happier with what you get in the form of Z30.

I am a Z10 user and very very happy with the phone and OS. With each new iteration of the OS it becomes better and closer to legacy features with some new things thrown in. Go for the Z30 with Verizon... you will have to learn the OS initially but worth the effort.

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate the reply. I am inclined to go with vzw and the z30 but without ever getting my hands on one makes the decision much more difficult. I assume you have been a BB user for many years. What is the biggest thing or things missed when you upgraded to the Z10 as far as functionality of the main items I use. 10.2 I believe, fixed a lot of things but I do not want to completely re-invent the wheel and get frustrated as compared to how easy the Torch works especially setting up emails accounts and notifications.
    11-19-13 07:53 PM
    US Cellular is the scum bag carrier of the Midwest. They should sell out to att and call it a day. The rent they pay to att and verizon doesnt get them much in tower use and quality. Esp in a small town area. RUN to Versizon.

Notifications and Email setups are not problems. in BB10. Notifications were not as rich as they are now. Your worry has no merit.
    11-19-13 08:15 PM
    I think it's time you switch out of the company as well. As for the phone, z30 is amazing. Best blackberry phone up to date and this phone will last for a long time.

It's definitely worth the upgrade

Proud owner of Q10, Z10 and Z30
    11-19-13 08:20 PM
    WIFI notwithstanding, I have noticed the speed here in my town compared to the larger city just an hour away is huge. Loading of web pages is so much faster in the larger city. The addition of flash is really helpful on the browsing end as there are many pages which either do not load on my Torch or very little functionality. There are several sites where I need the flash in order to navigate at all and type in information. How has the battery life been on the Z10 and z30 if on the 10.2+ OS? Obviously with my Torch, I am loading mostly mobile sites with a lot less data throughput along with my smaller screen size.
    11-19-13 08:28 PM
    I think it's time you switch out of the company as well. As for the phone, z30 is amazing. Best blackberry phone up to date and this phone will last for a long time.

It's definitely worth the upgrade

Last a long time and hopefully supported a long time as well. Thanks.
    11-19-13 08:30 PM
    Go for the 30 man. It's your money, but the device will truthfully do anything you'll ever need and then some. Just make sure you read the tutorial on how to remove the back plate. It's tricky.
    11-19-13 08:31 PM
    Remember the Z30 has the new Antenna and would help in your poor coverage area.
    11-19-13 08:46 PM
    With big companies like Verizon, it will be supported until blackberry goes out of business.

11-19-13 09:19 PM
    I appreciate the reply. I am inclined to go with vzw and the z30 but without ever getting my hands on one makes the decision much more difficult. I assume you have been a BB user for many years. What is the biggest thing or things missed when you upgraded to the Z10 as far as functionality of the main items I use. 10.2 I believe, fixed a lot of things but I do not want to completely re-invent the wheel and get frustrated as compared to how easy the Torch works especially setting up emails accounts and notifications.
    You are right... I've been with BlackBerry since the Pearl days. I actually did not miss too much as I read a lot, and I mean a lot, in these forums to understand how the new OS works, before I jumped for the z10. What you will surely miss is the track pad from the torch. It takes a while getting used to it but since you are on the all touch screen it should be easier for you to learn. The key pad on this baby is just awesomely wicked. It becomes better with each day. When you get the z30 you will get the 10.2 and depending on your carrier you will get the official OS. But if you are happy being a little techy you can install OS leaks by coming here to crackberry. Email accounts and notifications are fairly easy. You might have a little tough time with contacts. But I finally figured out how to keep a single set of contacts without the phone duplicating them... . More on that when you get the phone... :P

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:45 PM
    With big companies like Verizon, it will be supported until blackberry goes out of business.

The phone will not be supported but will still work... )

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 09:47 PM
    Went from the torch 9810 to the Z30 myself, and honestly I am very glad that I did. Personal thought on BIS support is that it will probably not go away, but instead will begin to be billed directly to the client in some markets. Not something I have heard anywhere, just something I think may be coming as fewer and fewer people need BIS... unless BlackBerry makes it possible for the devices to opt to use BIS for data access (I loved it for data compression, especially when it came to roaming internationally).

The antenna is better, but not necessarily in the way you expect. I have noticed I do have better reception in general over past phones (android and blackberry, not just the blackberry) on the exact same network, but the antenna is designed to maintain call quality in areas of low signal while keeping battery drain in check at the same time.

Flash... it works. It works well. I really like having it, especially on the bigger screen of the Z30.

In terms of what your options are and my recommendations, I would do this: pick between the Z30, Z10, and Q10. I include the Q10 because to be honest that physical keyboard is very comfortable to type on and it still has the predictive text capabilities of the other devices. Once you have narrowed down your device choice (honestly I would recommend the Z30 the most but it is personal choice), choose the best network for you in the places you tend to be the most. If you really want that subsidy and a Z30, Verizon is the only choice (and nog a bad one by any means). If you have the option to buy your device outright, T-Mobile is a decent option in many areas, and AT&T is as well if you don't mind a lack of LTE in the vast majority of places.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    11-19-13 10:00 PM
    Went from the torch 9810 to the Z30 myself, and honestly I am very glad that I did. Personal thought on BIS support is that it will probably not go away, but instead will begin to be billed directly to the client in some markets. Not something I have heard anywhere, just something I think may be coming as fewer and fewer people need BIS... unless BlackBerry makes it possible for the devices to opt to use BIS for data access (I loved it for data compression, especially when it came to roaming internationally).

The antenna is better, but not necessarily in the way you expect. I have noticed I do have better reception in general over past phones (android and blackberry, not just the blackberry) on the exact same network, but the antenna is designed to maintain call quality in areas of low signal while keeping battery drain in check at the same time.

Flash... it works. It works well. I really like having it, especially on the bigger screen of the Z30.

In terms of what your options are and my recommendations, I would do this: pick between the Z30, Z10, and Q10. I include the Q10 because to be honest that physical keyboard is very comfortable to type on and it still has the predictive text capabilities of the other devices. Once you have narrowed down your device choice (honestly I would recommend the Z30 the most but it is personal choice), choose the best network for you in the places you tend to be the most. If you really want that subsidy and a Z30, Verizon is the only choice (and nog a bad one by any means). If you have the option to buy your device outright, T-Mobile is a decent option in many areas, and AT&T is as well if you don't mind a lack of LTE in the vast majority of places.

Just my own thoughts on the matter.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    The Q5 is an awesome device too, and a bit cheaper.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.1055 using CB10
    11-19-13 10:21 PM
    I had a Torch for years. Either the Z10 or Z30 will be an awesome upgrade. I would definitely go Z30 on VZW. You will get the best experience and wireless service.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 06:44 AM
    This is what a good forum is all about. Appreciate the suggestions and honest opinions. I have one more probably stupid question - On my Torch I have 4 separate email accounts - 2 work ones, a yahoo one and our home. I was able to set them up as 4 separate icons instead of the one "Messages". In past postings early on in the roll out of OS10, I noticed some people were saying they were having problems doing that. Has that issue been taken care of?
    11-20-13 09:31 AM
    This is what a good forum is all about. Appreciate the suggestions and honest opinions. I have one more probably stupid question - On my Torch I have 4 separate email accounts - 2 work ones, a yahoo one and our home. I was able to set them up as 4 separate icons instead of the one "Messages". In past postings early on in the roll out of OS10, I noticed some people were saying they were having problems doing that. Has that issue been taken care of?
    Hi there, from my understanding 4 accounts is no problem and each can be checked separately via the hub. The priority hub can put them together but you can set filters so only what you want goes in there.

In my opinion I would choose the q10 or z30 if battery is a concern. The z10 is a good phone but the battery is a bit of a problem and it will need a little charge by the days end. For me this is a no go and really need my phone to make it through the day. My brother uses the q10 and loves it. The screen is small but quite clean and easy enough to navigate. I've played with it quite a bit and find it to be a great phone especially for someone that does a lot of emails and or texting.

I decided to pick up the z30 and am really enjoying it. Battery lasts the day even with heavy use. Typing and browsing are great. Videos and such are a pleasure on the large screen.

One thing I suggest is that you give yourself a little time to research and understand bb10. The more you know going in will make the transition a lot easier. It took me a couple weeks till I really got comfortable with the gestures and features. I came from an iPhone so found it took a bit getting used to. After that break in period I really prefer this operating system and I think you will as well. Good luck and welcome

Posted via my Z30
    11-20-13 10:37 AM
    I went from a Torch 9850 to a Z10, and now to a Z30. Love BB10!
    11-20-13 10:41 AM
    If you want to think about longtime support, the BlackBerry 8900 was released early 2009 - the latest Carrier OS update was pushed out February 2013 - that was four solid years of support from BlackBerry on a device.

With what BerryLeaks and the team, I'd be cautiouly optomistic and say there is three solid years of support for the z30 behind it.

If you haven't ordered yet, make sure you look for the $50 coupon code for Verizon ordering... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...n-z30s-873411/
    11-20-13 12:04 PM
    When switching from the Torch to a z30 can the information be transferred via the Blackberry Desktop manager (which I have) or through new BB software that needs to be loaded?
    11-22-13 11:19 AM
    I had the torch. Since the beginning of year, I have a Z10. It's clearly better. No doubt.
    Now waiting Z30 in few days... the best mobile on the market ! real battery life ; nfc ; LTE ; USB host ; miracast and hdmi.

Switch to BlackBerry 10 can't be an error !

Nicolas

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 11:34 AM