Time for an upgrade I think. Ive been using an android for a couple of years after becoming slightly disillusioned with Blackberry. It was the devices, I loved them and still own a Blackberry 9780 which I used as a back up hone. I became disillusioned with the lack of decent apps but I think it was more to do with envy tbh, as you just have to look at the sheer number of app, both paid and free on Google Play. Anyway, I was in my local mobile chain store when I spied the Blackberry Z30. I had a little tinker with it and I was hooked. Like a shot, a young sales assistant was on me. When I told her about the lack of apps, she laughed and asked, "you know know you can now run android apps on Blackberry 10.2.1?", well you could have knocked me down with a feather. I didnt take her word for it so look on the net (as you do) and yeah she was right. Couple of questions seeing as I havent been around Blackberry much lately

Does the Z30 come with an on board gps navigation app??? If not, is there a decent free one?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question and if it does, then I apologise. From when I first bought my first Blackberry (9700), I wanted a gps navigation app but only ever found apps that required a subscription based service. I stuck with Blackberry fro a while longer and invested in a 9780, which as I say, I still have and use from time to time. My wife bought me a samsung galaxy s2 then from then on, I was like a kid in a sweet shop, I could get apps I knew I would use and were, for the best part, free.

However all this changed when I picked up the Z30...........yes, I was hooked........and yes, Im on my way back. (might be anyway )
    Stwutter likes this.
    05-14-14 07:12 AM
    Does the Z30 come with an on board gps navigation app??? If not, is there a decent free one??
    Yes, BBMaps is pre-installed. Works well, but POI's are an issue. It's fine if you have a road name, post/zip code, but falls down a little if you type in a place, or shop etc. And it doesn't have an option for walking.

Free ones, there's Waze, which a lot of people like, altho' I'm no fan (and I've had problems with it) and NavFree, which has just arrived in BB World, and has a very nice UI.

Personally, I use Google Maps via Android. Has the walking option and, being Google, all the POI's you could want.

I'm also amazed by the person in the shop you spoke to - not because of advising you that BB10 could now handle Android apps, but that she didn't come over and try and convince you to buy something else!

Get a Z30 - you won't regret it.
    kbz1960 and bigcol like this.
    05-14-14 07:33 AM
    . I stuck with Blackberry fro a while longer and invested in a 9780, which as I say, I still have and use from time to time. My wife bought me a samsung galaxy s2 then from then on, I was like a kid in a sweet shop, I could get apps I knew I would use and were, for the best part, free.

However all this changed when I picked up the Z30...........yes, I was hooked........and yes, Im on my way back. (might be anyway )
    You might want to make a list of the apps that you currently use on your Samsung, and then search and see if these are mentioned in the forums. While 10.2.1 gave us the unofficial ability to install any Android App.... there are many that do not work. Only you know what's important to you...
    walt63, kbz1960 and bigcol like this.
    05-14-14 07:39 AM
    Yes, BBMaps is pre-installed. Works well, but POI's are an issue. It's fine if you have a road name, post/zip code, but falls down a little if you type in a place, or shop etc. And it doesn't have an option for walking.

Free ones, there's Waze, which a lot of people like, altho' I'm no fan (and I've had problems with it) and NavFree, which has just arrived in BB World, and has a very nice UI.

Personally, I use Google Maps via Android. Has the walking option and, being Google, all the POI's you could want.

I'm also amazed by the person in the shop you spoke to - not because of advising you that BB10 could now handle Android apps, but that she didn't come over and try and convince you to buy something else!

Get a Z30 - you won't regret it.
    She girl couldnt have been more than 20 but she knew what she was talking about. She may have tried to sell me something else if I had stayed in the shop long enough. I was only in there to top my daughters phone up when the bbz30 caught my eye lol. I hate all the hard sell routine which i guess would have kicked in if I had stayed in the shop much longer lol. 100% going to have a closer look at the z30 though
    05-14-14 07:53 AM
    She girl couldnt have been more than 20 but she knew what she was talking about. She may have tried to sell me something else if I had stayed in the shop long enough. I was only in there to top my daughters phone up when the bbz30 caught my eye lol. I hate all the hard sell routine which i guess would have kicked in if I had stayed in the shop much longer lol. 100% going to have a closer look at the z30 though
    Yeah, I'm sure you got out in time!

Good point made by scalemaster34 - it is worth looking at what Android apps work well - most do for me, but it's not faultless. For me tho', even with the odd app. not available, or working quite as it should, the whole BB10/Z30 usability experience blows anything else away.
    bigcol likes this.
    05-14-14 07:59 AM
    You might want to make a list of the apps that you currently use on your Samsung, and then search and see if these are mentioned in the forums. While 10.2.1 gave us the unofficial ability to install any Android App.... there are many that do not work. Only you know what's important to you...
    to be perfectly honest, I dont use an awful lot of apps now as much as I did when I first got an android. Basic apps I use atm are Twitter, facebook, whatsapp, navigon (most expnesive app Ive paid ever, �35.00). I use clockworkmod tether quite a bit, would this work on a Z30?? Are there any tethering apps available if clockworkmod tether wont work???
    05-14-14 07:59 AM

Does the Z30 come with an on board gps navigation app??? If not, is there a decent free one?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question and if it does, then I apologise. From when I first bought my first Blackberry (9700), I wanted a gps navigation app but only ever found apps that required a subscription based service. I stuck with Blackberry fro a while longer and invested in a 9780, which as I say, I still have and use from time to time. My wife bought me a samsung galaxy s2 then from then on, I was like a kid in a sweet shop, I could get apps I knew I would use and were, for the best part, free
    Try Navfree. Since you said "decent".

I personally use "Mireo DON'T PANIC " as my primary navigation application.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:06 AM
    Great advice. You my friend are an honest salesman.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:13 AM
    Great advice. You my friend are an honest salesman.

Posted via CB10
    He'd never get a job in a phone shop.
    walt63 likes this.
    05-14-14 08:22 AM
    to be perfectly honest, I dont use an awful lot of apps now as much as I did when I first got an android. Basic apps I use atm are Twitter, facebook, whatsapp, navigon (most expnesive app Ive paid ever, �35.00). I use clockworkmod tether quite a bit, would this work on a Z30?? Are there any tethering apps available if clockworkmod tether wont work???
    Tethering is a tricky subject... there have been discussion about changing info on your device via the escreens.. some get it to work, others don't and a few say they got called out on it by their carrier (most likely people with unlimited plans using 10+GB)

A few have said that an Android app PDANet works via Bluetooth... if that is all the speed you need it might work. I haven't seen a BB10 App, but there could be one.

Again I would suggest you do a little searching around and then ask an informed question or two... and make your own decision.
    05-14-14 08:52 AM