Essential phone is the best replacement of the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    I second that. Although I can't compare to a Z30 because I never owned one... the Essential is beautifully simple (and elegant) hardware and software that doesn't force any unwanted apps or buttons on you. And it has the same security and OS support regimen as a Google device (2 years OS, 3 years security patches) which is a fantastic value at its current price point.
    01-06-18 06:37 PM
    They do care. Look at all the free marketing for BlackBerry. Many blogs and app sites are talking about BlackBerry just because of the patched keyboard. It's a great value if people are talking about your products. You can't achieve that with simple marketing.

Anyway, BlackBerry earns it's money with their company solutions. That's the big business. And companies don't use hacked apps. Therefore hunting down some students for using a patched app might not be the main concern for BlackBerry.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-06-18 06:54 PM
    They do care. Look at all the free marketing for BlackBerry. Many blogs and app sites are talking about BlackBerry just because of the patched keyboard. It's a great value if people are talking about your products. You can't achieve that with simple marketing.

Anyway, BlackBerry earns it's money with their company solutions. That's the big business. And companies don't use hacked apps. Therefore hunting down some students for using a patched app might not be the main concern for BlackBerry.
    Agreed 100%.
    01-06-18 07:30 PM
    And if you would have no issue doing so, then clearly you would have no issue with what you yourself call hacking and theft.
    I have no issue with it.

Some people do, so I brought it up. People are free to make their own decision.
    01-06-18 07:31 PM
    OMG. Would u girls quit bickering. This is a thread about a replacement phone for Z30 users. Quit hijacking it.

Posted via CB10
    skm67 likes this.
    01-06-18 07:32 PM
    Agreed. Sorry for hijacking.

Back to topic:

I switched from a Q10 to a Samsung S6 Edge 2 years ago and never regretted it.
    01-06-18 07:42 PM

They care in the sense that their Android apps are a lost leader promoting their products and their name, yes. That's why they allow them to be 'stolen' (Lol). Otherwise you would be in court by now and so would this website. BlackBerry certainly spends enough of its time and money protecting it's IP for us to know this to be an absolute fact.

That's exactly why I find it offensive when people try to insinuate your work is theft/hacking and that by not buying a BlackBerry device you are somehow ripping them off. Ridiculous.

If BlackBerry truly cared about protecting their Android apps they would either have baked them into their OS, or put more robust security measures in place to protect them. Again, the evidence points to their apps being lost leaders developed with the primary goal of promoting the BlackBerry name to a larger Android audience.
    01-06-18 08:08 PM
    Didn't BlackBerry license (*cough* steal) half their keyboard app from Swiftkey and that's the reason they can't sell it? Who is the real thief? LMAO.
    Surely you're not trying to compare a company officially licensing a product for use in their keyboard and a hobby/fan project? Software is licensed all the time, including from BlackBerry. There's no point in continuously re-inventing the wheel.

Swiftkey itself is only used for the prediction engine on BB Keyboard (dating back to the PlayBook IIRC).
    01-06-18 10:43 PM
    Surely you're not trying to compare a company officially licensing a product for use in their keyboard and a hobby/fan project? Software is licensed all the time, including from BlackBerry. There's no point in continuously re-inventing the wheel.

Swiftkey itself is only used for the prediction engine on BB Keyboard (dating back to the PlayBook IIRC).
    Yes, licensing works both ways. So does patent trolling.

My point was...it is anything but clear who actually owns what regarding BlackBerry's virtual keyboard. For all we know Swiftkey designed it under contract, or BlackBerry is simply tweaking their source code...or BlackBerry lifted it and got caught with their pants down. The only thing we do know for certain is that BlackBerry can't sell it and can only use it on their own devices...which basically means they don't really own it at all. They are borrowing it from Swiftkey and (presumably) paying them to use it. Pretty sweet deal for Swiftkey if you think about it, considering Microsoft gives it away as freeware.
    Last edited by panopticon; 01-06-18 at 11:17 PM.
    01-06-18 10:58 PM
    Yes, licensing works both ways. So does patent trolling.

My point was...it is anything but clear who actually owns what regarding BlackBerry's virtual keyboard. For all we know Swiftkey designed it under contract, or BlackBerry is simply tweaking their source code...or BlackBerry lifted it and got caught with their pants down. The only thing we do know for certain is that BlackBerry can't sell it and can only use it on their own devices...which basically means they don't really own it at all. They are borrowing it from Swiftkey and (presumably) paying them to use it. Pretty sweet deal for Swiftkey if you think about it, considering Microsoft gives it away as freeware.
    Do you have any proof? It kind of sounds like you're just throwing "what if's" against the wall. I don't believe SwiftKey supports "flick to type" or heatmap calibration (they have a heatmap but I think it's just for user stats).

We also don't know for sure that BlackBerry can't "sell" the VKB. Cobalt can probably shed more light on this but the BB Keyboard has some enterprise specific functionality built in, it's possible that could be a roadblock for a "vanilla Android" release.
    01-06-18 11:55 PM
    Do you have any proof? It kind of sounds like you're just throwing "what if's" against the wall. I don't believe SwiftKey supports "flick to type" or heatmap calibration (they have a heatmap but I think it's just for user stats).

We also don't know for sure that BlackBerry can't "sell" the VKB. Cobalt can probably shed more light on this but the BB Keyboard has some enterprise specific functionality built in, it's possible that could be a roadblock for a "vanilla Android" release.
    The only thing we do know is that it's not available except on a BlackBerry branded device. On that basis alone I think it is fairly safe to assume it cannot be done, at least not easily (or cheaply).

Don't get me wrong, I do like BlackBerry's VKB, heavily borrowed from Swiftkey or not, and I would gladly pay for it. I just don't think its fair or even accurate for people to be suggesting that using it on a non-BlackBerry is theft...especially when every other BlackBerry Android app, and Swiftkey as well for that matter, is already available as freeware.
    01-07-18 12:36 AM
    OP , you really need to visit a carrier store and try out various phones. I think that you will find a better phone that way.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-07-18 01:44 AM
    OP , you really need to visit a carrier store and try out various phones. I think that you will find a better phone that way.
    How do you try out a motion in the US?

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60
    01-07-18 07:38 AM
    Need to tell you all that my previous phone was Z30 and that was far more best phone I had in past two years. Because of lack of applications I switched to DTEK50. It's also great. Not maybe designed as Z30 but Android with BlackBerry signature is great. Time will force us to get a new phone in some point and my moto is that we all need give a chance for a new technology. Currently for me, BlackBerry providing some new extra stuff and android for same price. Never had any glitch issues with this BlackBerry android or previous with Z30. Before Z30 I had samsung S4, and my God, what a piece of junk. Battery was too warm even after making a simple call and every month I had to restart my phone. Maybe it was just a bad model but for now I will stick to BlackBerry

All the best in New year
    01-07-18 07:45 AM
    I just don't think its fair or even accurate for people to be suggesting that using it on a non-BlackBerry is theft...
    At the very least it's a violation of BlackBerry's and Google Play's TOS.
    01-07-18 09:40 AM
    At the very least it's a violation of BlackBerry's and Google Play's TOS.
    You left out the most important thing: freeware. You can't steal something that is already free. The 'violation' of which you speak is a moot point. Obviously no one cares. Except perhaps overzealous fanboys trying to guilt people into buying a new BlackBerry.

Anyway, as the aider-and-abetter-in-chief of these so-called indiscretions, I find your stance on the subject somewhat ironic to say the least. There must be hundreds if not thousands of posts here of you instructing and informing people on this site about Cobalt's tools on both BB10 and Android. So I'm not sure it serves you very well to be calling out the same people you are assisting, and by extension the author of these tools...as thieves, hacks, and violators!
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    01-07-18 10:30 AM
    The only thing we do know is that it's not available except on a BlackBerry branded device. On that basis alone I think it is fairly safe to assume it cannot be done, at least not easily (or cheaply).

Don't get me wrong, I do like BlackBerry's VKB, heavily borrowed from Swiftkey or not, and I would gladly pay for it. I just don't think its fair or even accurate for people to be suggesting that using it on a non-BlackBerry is theft...especially when every other BlackBerry Android app, and Swiftkey as well for that matter, is already available as freeware.
    Well, the BlackBerry Keyboard is only officially supported on BlackBerry devices regardless of what other keyboard apps do. I don't have a problem with cobalt's apps but much like WhatsApp on BB10 the only reliable and futureproof way to continue using it is on an officially supported platform.
    01-07-18 10:39 AM
    So I'm not sure it serves you very well to be calling out the same people you are assisting, and by extension the author of these tools...as thieves, hacks, and violators!
    Calling out? I'm doing no such thing. You are blowing this way, way out of proportion.

It's clearly a violation of TOS, but many of us are ok with that. Some people are not.

My initial post was just telling it as it is.
    01-07-18 10:50 AM
    How do you try out a motion in the US?

I would not buy a Motion if I lived in the US. There are many better Android phones in the stores. Phones that can be fixed at your local repair shop if required. Phones that can choose to customize with the BlackBerry Suite or not.

The Motion is an OK phone but not a great value.

TCL has really made a good impression this past year ,in the USA, by selling good but cheap TV's under their own brand. This should be their phone strategy as well. Sell all touch TCL phones and BlackBerry for their PKB model(s).
    01-07-18 10:51 AM
    Calling out? I'm doing no such thing. You are blowing this way, way out of proportion.

It's clearly a violation of TOS, but many of us are ok with that. Some people are not.

My initial post was just telling it as it is.
    "But yes, the keyboard app isn't part of the suite - it has to be hacked/stolen to work"

Yeah, that's a completely non-judgemental statement. What was I thinking? Sorry for blowing it all out of proportion on you like that. Lol.
    01-07-18 11:07 AM
    "But yes, the keyboard app isn't part of the suite - it has to be hacked/stolen to work"

Yeah, that's a completely non-judgemental statement. What was I thinking? Sorry for blowing it all out of proportion on you like that. Lol.
    Apology accepted.
    01-07-18 11:09 AM
    Apology accepted.
    You obviously missed the sarcasm. Nice try though. Lol.
    01-07-18 11:10 AM
    I would not buy a Motion if I lived in the US. There are many better Android phones in the stores. Phones that can be fixed at your local repair shop if required. Phones that can choose to customize with the BlackBerry Suite or not.

The Motion is an OK phone but not a great value.

TCL has really made a good impression this past year ,in the USA, by selling good but cheap TV's under their own brand. This should be their phone strategy as well. Sell all touch TCL phones and BlackBerry for their PKB model(s).
    Thanks. I'm sure you are right. It's not as good as the Dtek60 except for the battery.
    I just love the BB VKB and don't want to jump through hoops to get it. I'm always swiping to delete on my iPad and getting frustrated. LOL
    I'm not in a rush and will wait to see what comes along in the near future.

01-07-18 11:35 AM
    I would like Cobalt to put his efforts into just supplying the free (donations ) keyboard. The BlackBerry Suite is only 99 cents a month.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-08-18 at 12:32 AM.
    01-07-18 03:44 PM
    I ordered the Samsung Galaxy s9+! Should be here today or tomorrow!

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Z30
    04-19-18 11:26 AM
83 1234