Can you stream purchased content via Miracast on your Nexus 7?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I did get it to work on my Nexus 7. I tried watching a movie on it was able to, but was very laggy, to the point that I gave up. What's weird is that just the other day, forgetting my HDMI cable, but having packed a no-name "stick" dongle, I decided to sideload the same Netflix app I had on my Z10 (10.1 OS), and put it on my Z30 (OS 10.2 non-leak). I got Miracast to work, though it required a few attempts, and Netflix and Crackle both worked. The resolution sucked and there were hickups at the start (when compared to watching on the phone directly or tablet without Miracast). After about 3 minutes Netflix was tolerable of Miracast.

So, Miracast will work on a Z30 (I had to switch between Wifi Direct and Miracast a couple of times to force a Wifi Direct reset of some kind, but this might be a problem with the dongle). What was weird was at home, I was able to get my Nexus 7 to work with this dongle, but when I tried in the hotel the dongle would drop seconds after connecting, and the Nexus 7 still thought it was connected. So I had no Miracast capability from Android. Trying the Z30 was a last resort, and it worked the best.

I am still not able to play paid movies or TV shows from my Blackberry devices.
    01-03-14 06:10 PM
    Wanted to add to the comments here about one issue, where Miracast is being attempted but nothing shows up on the screen. Several previous comments mention about starting a video and choosing the "Play On" which does work for this particular issue.

The Miracast activation issue is different, however, from the issue of playing paid downloaded content from BlackBerry world. This problem I am still having.

So, for activating Miracast...

The normal way to do this to start sharing your device screen (e.g. with my Z30 STA100-5 with official OS 10.2), is to:

1) go to the Wifi settings, where you see your Wifi connected (Swipe down from top, choose settings, choose Network Connections, choose Wifi). At the top of the screen you see options for Wifi Networks, Wifi Direct and Miracast.
    2) Pressing on Miracast gives you a screen where the option is the HDMI cable or Share Screen.
    3) Choosing Share Screen should show the spinny wheel (to indicate its searching). Give it a few seconds, but if the spinny wheel is not showing, then it is not actually searching for your Miracast TV or dongle. If it is, searching, then after a few seconds 10-20 seconds, a list of options should show, where you can select one, and your screen should be shared.
    4) if the spinny wheel doesn't show, then there are two options I have found to work:

5a) Option 1 is to restart the phone and the Miracast dongle / TV. I have tried restarting my Z30 and not the dongle, where the dongle is found, but the phone doesn't connect successfully. Restarting both, and I have been able to connect.

5b) Option 2 - this is where going to a video and invoking the Play On is required. To do this, go to the Videos app on your device, and select a video you have created with the phone (create one for 5 seconds or so if you don't have one). Choosing one that you have created means we're going to use a video that we know can play on the device (and avoids other possible issues).
    6) Start up that video and pause it. Select the other menu (the 3 vertical dots menu) and select "Play On". It will take you to the same Miracast screen as in "Settings/Network Connections/Wifi above and you should see a spinny wheel now, and after 10-20 seconds you should see your Miracast available devices.
    7) Choose the one you want and your screen should become mirrored.
    8) After the mirroring is successful, you can try to play your various content. For me, on my Z30 with official 10.2 (in Canada), I can play movies from Crackle, and my sideloaded Netflix app (1.8b561 android port that was floating around and I used on my Z10 with OS 10.1). I haven't tried newer Netflix apps, and that one seems to crash often on my Z30. When it does, I restart it, and eventually it works again. Downloaded content from BlackBerry World does not play for me at all and gives me an error. That is the problem I would like to get resolved.

One more note, you may encounter an error when trying "Play On", where it might say that it needs to restart your Wifi Direct. Click ok and let it do that. I don't remember if it would proceed normally and show the spinny wheel or if I had to go back to the video and choose "Play On" again. This I think happened as I played with Wifi Direct with DLNA, and switching to Miracast. Sometimes it seemed confused, at which point I just switched off Wifi, and turned it on and tried again.
    Last edited by bizdudePB; 01-03-14 at 07:28 PM.
    BB4matt likes this.
    01-03-14 07:03 PM
    You can play movies thru miracast but it's no where near as good compared to plugging your phone direct via HDMI to the TV.

I am using the Sony IM 10 miracast device

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:23 PM
    You can play movies thru miracast but it's no where near as good compared to plugging your phone direct via HDMI to the TV.

I am using the Sony IM 10 miracast device

Posted via CB10
    Agreed that direct HDMI is better using a cable. I still can't play movies or shows via DLNA or Miracast, just gives an error (but works when disconnected and play on the phone). I still try to travel with my HDMI-microHDMI cable. I've been trying the dongles in part so that I can have the phone with me instead of next to the TV. I sometimes like to use the TV as a monitor in a hotel room, so having the phone tethered to the TV was a restriction. However, it now looks like by using a BT mouse and keyboard, or using the USB Hub feature, where I could plug in a wireless keyboard and mouse dongle, I could keep the high quality resolution over the HDMI cable.
    Last edited by bizdudePB; 01-20-14 at 05:07 PM.
    01-04-14 12:54 AM
    How to change the video input on a hotel TV?

Almost every hotel I stay at, and I travel a fair bit in the US and Canada, has HDMI inputs. There are still a few hold outs though. Most of the hotel TV's allow you to change the input. Sometimes its even on the remote, but most often you have to find the Input button or activate the menu from the buttons on the TV itself.

In some cases the Input button appears not to work. If you encounter that, its most likely because of the TV controller box the hotel has installed on the back of the TV. Sometimes it looks like a phone / network cord, or a COAX cable (old Cable TV cable), and some Hotels seem to have both from the box. You can unplug the cable, or the power to the box, and you likely will regain control of the TV.

At Fairmont hotels their boxes have both the phone like and the TV COAX like cable from their TV controller boxes. Just unplugging the phone cable from the TV works every time for me.

If you're using a Wifi Direct / DLNA / Miracast dongle, you might even have USB plugs on the TV as well which I use as a power source, instead of trying to find a plug.
    01-04-14 01:06 AM
    ..., or using the USB Hub feature, where I could plug in a wireless keyboard and mouse dongle, I could keep the high quality resolution over the HDMI cable.
    What is USB Hub feature you are mentioning?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 01:22 AM
    The Z10 don't support miracast.

Posted via CB10
    But Z10 does support DLNA (and I think WiFi Direct?). If the Rocketfish dongle supports DLNA over WiFi Direct, then I think it should work.
    01-04-14 12:49 PM
    What is USB Hub feature you are mentioning?

Posted via CB10
    It's called USB Host Mode, and is where the microUSB on the phone acts as a USB input for peripherals and the phone is the "host" (instead of the phone being the peripheral to the PC being the host). Great video of it and Miracast here: BlackBerry 10.2 USB Host Mode and Miracast demo - YouTube

I have not tried this yet. Next on my list.
    01-04-14 12:54 PM
    It's called USB Host Mode, and is where the microUSB on the phone acts as a USB input for peripherals and the phone is the "host" (instead of the phone being the peripheral to the PC being the host). Great video of it and Miracast here: BlackBerry 10.2 USB Host Mode and Miracast demo - YouTube

I have not tried this yet. Next on my list.
    Thanks. That's so cool.

I wonder if the net gear miracast dongle is better than the Sony IM 10 I got.

It seems the net gear one plays video without stuttering.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:15 PM
    So still no news on anyone having successfully watched a BlackBerry World downloaded movie or TV show over DLNA or Miracast?
    01-20-14 05:10 PM
    Try the Sony IM10 miracast dongle. It works for me.

Video playback is choppy at times tho

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 05:11 PM
    Try the Sony IM10 miracast dongle. It works for me.

Video playback is choppy at times tho

Posted via CB10
    What country are you in ?

Posted via CB10
    01-20-14 10:49 PM
    For what is see, no one has had luck using downloaded movies with Miracast. For now, I have decided to strip the DRM out of the movies I have purchased. That should take care of the issue and it's fully legal.
    Did this work?
    02-04-14 10:56 AM
    Did this work?
    Did this work?... AND how did you strip the dry off the purchased movie?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 03:40 PM
    Did this work?... AND how did you strip the dry off the purchased movie?

Posted via CB10
    I want to know the same thing. It's ridiculous that we can't stream a movie we paid for to our tvs.

Sent from my Z30 or Surface Pro 2
    02-04-14 05:23 PM
    I've been trying to get my Z30 to talk to my new Samsung plasma (which I sadly don't have the model # for atm). The TV includes a feature called "AllShare" which is just their own brand name for Miracast.

The phone finds the TV as a potential "send to" client, but as they connect the signal somehow shuts down and the TV goes back to whatever was showing on it before. Very frustrating.
    02-04-14 06:06 PM
    I've been trying to get my Z30 to talk to my new Samsung plasma (which I sadly don't have the model # for atm). The TV includes a feature called "AllShare" which is just their own brand name for Miracast.

The phone finds the TV as a potential "send to" client, but as they connect the signal somehow shuts down and the TV goes back to whatever was showing on it before. Very frustrating.
    You need to update the Samsung firmware. Run the firmware check on it whole connected to Wifi and update it. Then it will work fine.

I had to do this at an electronics store to get it to work right. Otherwise it connects but immediately ends.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-14 07:39 PM
    Yeah there was, indeed an update for the TV. It enabled Miracast, sure enough, but I can't play my BlackBerry World movies.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    02-06-14 07:57 PM
    Yeah there was, indeed an update for the TV. It enabled Miracast, sure enough, but I can't play my BlackBerry World movies.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Has to do with the DRM.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 09:44 PM
    Has to do with the DRM.

Posted via CB10
    someone posted about being able to remove the DRM and that it was legal to do. Anyone know how to do it?

Sent from my Z30 or Surface Pro 2
    02-07-14 09:09 AM
    Can you stream purchased content via Miracast on your Nexus 7?

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tried that yet. I had trouble with google content a long time ago, where I couldn't purchase many things, and then sometimes could, but not play.

I should try again, especially now that i have my Nexus 7. I was using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 before. What a piece of Crap. Slow, slow crappy browsing, etc.
    03-02-14 06:44 PM
    I don't know why this is a problem, if this is true:

Miracast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Types of media streamed[edit]

Miracast can stream videos that are in 1080p, media with DRM such as DVDs, as well as protected premium content streaming, enabling devices to stream feature films and other copy-protected materials. This is accomplished by using a Wi-Fi version of the same trusted content mechanisms used on cable-based HDMI and DisplayPort connections.[15]

Can we get BlackBerry to answer this?
    04-01-14 08:02 PM
47 12