Please post your Z30 model # and your OS version.

After contacting several people about this and opening new threads on it at different locations, it seems as if Blackberry isn't aware of the problem. Could be an issue/bug rather than Blackberry purposely locking the streaming feature out.

Also, if anyone can get a downloaded Blackberry App Store movie to work with Miracast then let me know. Because as of right now, I don't think anyone can.

Thanks.
    12-04-13 07:51 AM
    Are you using a Miracast Dongle for your TV? If so which one?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:59 AM
    I have tried both a net gear and rocket fish. I didn't own the net gear unit. Just wanted to try it out. I bought the rocketfish from best buy but it takes forever to sync but it does work. Something many android users can't even get to do with the unit. Still, I'm thinking of returning it back to best buy and upgrading to the netgear.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 08:47 AM
    Copyright issues won't allow it.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-04-13 09:07 AM
    I think "N to the K" is right. Some digital media rights specify whether & how the content can be displayed on an external screen from the device which has the media. For movies rented on BBW, they can be displayed via hdmi but not via DLNA. Maybe there is also a restriction against using Miracast?

I recently discovered that the Bell TV app doesn't allow me to display shows on my big screen TV via hdmi. I called Bell about it and they confirmed it is DRM issue.
    12-04-13 10:13 AM
    You guys should try the following...start playing back the movie on your BB, then, as the playback is already going use the "Play On" feature from the video menu on the BB to switch the stream to go to a specific target. This worked for me to play back the movies I downloaded from BB World through my Yamaha receiver. If the BB was connected to the receiver from the get-go it would not play properly and would error out with what looked like a DRM error (if connected to the TV directly it had no issues).
    12-04-13 12:59 PM
    You guys should try the following...start playing back the movie on your BB, then, as the playback is already going use the "Play On" feature from the video menu on the BB to switch the stream to go to a specific target. This worked for me to play back the movies I downloaded from BB World through my Yamaha receiver. If the BB was connected to the receiver from the get-go it would not play properly and would error out with what looked like a DRM error (if connected to the TV directly it had no issues).
    Nope, trick didn't work on my netgear push2tv.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 12:04 AM
    Please post your Z30 model # and your OS version.

After contacting several people about this and opening new threads on it at different locations, it seems as if Blackberry isn't aware of the problem. Could be an issue/bug rather than Blackberry purposely locking the streaming feature out.

Also, if anyone can get a downloaded Blackberry App Store movie to work with Miracast then let me know. Because as of right now, I don't think anyone can.

Thanks.
    In this Youtube demo, he shows Miracast and briefly shows Mad Men. If that was downloaded from BlackBerry World, somehow he got it to work!

BlackBerry 10.2 USB Host Mode and Miracast demo - YouTube
    12-08-13 09:16 PM
    I just got the RocketFish and it works well. Cant complain for 30$ for Best Buy.

Rocketfish Miracast Video Receiver RF-WFD301 - Best Buy

The one I really wanted was the Netgear PTV3000 but the deals are always scammy at $30, always out f stock.
    12-08-13 09:22 PM
    Confirming Rocketfish WFD301 works on Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.1055 for content from the handheld (have not tested movies yet). Alas, it took me an Rocketfish EPROM update (without notification of completion) and an hour of erratic fiddling with the settings to have it suddenly and repeatedly connect. The most concerning evidence of trouble was the device instructing to enter a PIN code (which Q10 does not offer to do) and Q10 telling that connection negotiations have been unsuccessful.
    After all that it works for all my screen and sound content resident on phone and Pandora streamed through Apollo.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:36 AM
    I have tried both a net gear and rocket fish. I didn't own the net gear unit. Just wanted to try it out. I bought the rocketfish from best buy but it takes forever to sync but it does work. Something many android users can't even get to do with the unit. Still, I'm thinking of returning it back to best buy and upgrading to the netgear.

Posted via CB10
    Did you get downloaded BlackBerry World movies or shows to work on the Netgear (or Rocketfish?). I have tried two generic Miracast dongles and neither worked for downloaded shows / movies (does work for my personal videos). I tried it with my Google Nexus 7 (with Android 4.3) and that played (although it played poorly) using the same dongle (though it took several tries to get the Nexus to connect).

Anyone have any luck with any Miracast dongle and a Z30 for playing BlackBerry World movies or shows?
    12-11-13 10:16 PM
    I just bought the Rocketfish dongle, but I can't get my Z10 to connect to it. Is there a trick? My Windows 8 ultrabook connects without any problems. Any help here? What am I missing?
    12-13-13 10:51 AM
    I just bought the Rocketfish dongle, but I can't get my Z10 to connect to it. Is there a trick? My Windows 8 ultrabook connects without any problems. Any help here? What am I missing?
    The Z10 don't support miracast.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 11:47 AM
    Nope, trick didn't work on my netgear push2tv.

Posted via CB10
    Did you ever get it to work on the Netgear push2TV? I have one as well, and another "sitck" like dongle too, but no luck playing movies uisng either DLNA or Miracast from a Z30. Shows an error on the screen when trying to play the movie. If I disconnect from the dongle / Netgear, it plays fine on the phone.

Trying in Canada on a Z30 -3 (Bell) in Canada, using latest non-leak 10.2 release. It would really be nice to get movies working on my Smart TV. I can do it from my Nexus 7 (running KitKat).
    12-26-13 06:53 PM
    Did you ever get it to work on the Netgear push2TV? I have one as well, and another "sitck" like dongle too, but no luck playing movies uisng either DLNA or Miracast from a Z30. Shows an error on the screen when trying to play the movie. If I disconnect from the dongle / Netgear, it plays fine on the phone.

Trying in Canada on a Z30 -3 (Bell) in Canada, using latest non-leak 10.2 release. It would really be nice to get movies working on my Smart TV. I can do it from my Nexus 7 (running KitKat).
    Can you stream purchased content via Miracast on your Nexus 7?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 08:58 PM
    Did you get downloaded BlackBerry World movies or shows to work on the Netgear (or Rocketfish?). I have tried two generic Miracast dongles and neither worked for downloaded shows / movies (does work for my personal videos). I tried it with my Google Nexus 7 (with Android 4.3) and that played (although it played poorly) using the same dongle (though it took several tries to get the Nexus to connect).

Anyone have any luck with any Miracast dongle and a Z30 for playing BlackBerry World movies or shows?
    For what is see, no one has had luck using downloaded movies with Miracast. For now, I have decided to strip the DRM out of the movies I have purchased. That should take care of the issue and it's fully legal.
    12-26-13 10:16 PM
    What do you use to strip DRM out of your purchased movies? Is it really legal.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 07:05 AM
    Having the same problem with my Q10 running 10.2.1.1259 playing to a Panasonic Blu-ray player with Miracast I also found it will not let me play Story Maker videos
    For those having Miracast issues with purchased movies-img_20131228_133720.png

Q10 on Verizon running 10.2.1.1259
    12-28-13 01:41 PM
    Correction I can play story maker videos, just can't create new ones when connected to Miracast

12-28-13 01:47 PM
    Having the same problem with my Q10 running 10.2.1.1259 playing to a Panasonic Blu-ray player with Miracast I also found it will not let me play Story Maker videos
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131228_133720.png 
Views:	920 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	234096

I am guessing this is due to an encoding conflict. Miracast uses the hardware video encoder on the Snapdragon SOC. Story Maker also uses this to encode the video. They can't both use the same hardware encoder at the same time that is why you can only do one or the other.

Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 01:47 PM
    I am guessing this is due to an encoding conflict. Miracast uses the hardware video encoder on the Snapdragon SOC. Story Maker also uses this to encode the video. They can't both use the same hardware encoder at the same time that is why you can only do one or the other.
    In StoryMaker, you can save your project as a ".avi" file. Then you should be able to exit StoryMaker, and find the video in the Videos app and play it no problem over Miracast feature. Should work since only one app at a time is accessing the encoder.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 01:56 PM
    I have a STA100-5 Z30 and I have a Netgear Push 2TV miracast adapter. The adapter itself fails to work with my LG 60: plasma at all. I've downloaded every firmware update possible but won't even connect to the TV let alone to the phone at that point(Sorry this is not a miracast or Z30 issue but a Hardware issue for Netgear). I have a Sony TV that it does connect to just fine. I have been able to mirror my display on to the TV fine and play videos I have made, but the Purchased Movies will not play at all. I get the message unable to play on this device. I have also connected to my sister's new LG Smart TV with built in Miracast. It does not give the error but simply displays a black screen when playing purchased movies. I was pretty excited about Miracast being a available on my phone but find it severely crippled in actual functionality. I'd like to be able to simply connect and go. I have a few 15' HDMI cables that work great fro displaying on my screen, but I would prefer to have the Miracast work so I would not be limited to a physical connection to my TV.
    12-30-13 03:59 PM
    Seem sixty, did you try the "fix" posted earlier about starting the movie then selecting "Play On" and then select your Miracast device. Somebody earlier suggested it had to be done in that order. I'm as interested as you are in getting Miracast to work for purchased or rented videos. Haven't picked up a Miracast device or dongle yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:33 PM
    Does Miracast work when you are on wifi say to stream Netflix to your phone and then to the display? I have read some devices need to be using the data network and unconnected to wifi for Miracast screen share? Would hope this is not the case.
    12-30-13 05:07 PM
    Does Miracast work when you are on wifi say to stream Netflix to your phone and then to the display? I have read some devices need to be using the data network and unconnected to wifi for Miracast screen share? Would hope this is not the case.
    If it's an Android app like Netflix running on a Z30, I think it shouldn't be a problem Miracasting the display. It's is BB10's video player that puts the restriction on this.

I asked before if playback of purchased content works in the Nexus 5 or 7.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:22 PM
47 12