Figured it would happen. Need to upgrade, available to move to the Z30...

a) no phones in the store and my current 'berry is on life support
    b) demo phone in store - ok, could manage it just fine.
    c) no 'deals' online, on chat or on phone with customer care for long term customers (regardless of posts here)...yes, $50 off is all they will do on a package of $199+
    d) but then I see where if I order this online on Verizon, IT CANCELS my unlimited data plan I've had for over five years, mandating a 2gb or more plan to replace it.

Sucks balls. On top of this, the sales associate I've worked with for six or more years is of zero help. I get the impression they tethered the sales people to stop them from putting decent deals out to customers they knew, or any other assistance. They don't do squat now.

"You'll have to order this online"
    "You'll need to call customer care"

BS....I may need to call Verizon's corporate office and raise hell. Not happy with all this, but hey, it's just a phone, I know.

Back to your regularly scheduled chaos. Vent over.

howards and 00stryder like this.
    11-27-13 01:04 PM
    Perhaps buy elsewhere and unlock it is likely only other option.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 01:12 PM
    Hi, had some of the same results ordering online, all the way to the actual BUY button... I called Verizon directly, the representative was VERY helpful and walked me through the process of purchasing my new (AWESOME) Z30, unlocked, w/NO CONTRACT and was able to just UPGRADE my device. Sure = more up front $$ but = This allows you to keep your current plan, whatever the plan. p.s. YES, I was able to keep my current UNLIMITED DATA plan, AWSOME, EH? GLTY
    11-27-13 01:16 PM
    Figured it would happen. Need to upgrade, available to move to the Z30...

a) no phones in the store and my current 'berry is on life support
    b) demo phone in store - ok, could manage it just fine.
    c) no 'deals' online, on chat or on phone with customer care for long term customers (regardless of posts here)...yes, $50 off is all they will do on a package of $199+
    d) but then I see where if I order this online on Verizon, IT CANCELS my unlimited data plan I've had for over five years, mandating a 2gb or more plan to replace it.

Sucks balls. On top of this, the sales associate I've worked with for six or more years is of zero help. I get the impression they tethered the sales people to stop them from putting decent deals out to customers they knew, or any other assistance. They don't do squat now.

"You'll have to order this online"
    "You'll need to call customer care"

BS....I may need to call Verizon's corporate office and raise hell. Not happy with all this, but hey, it's just a phone, I know.

Back to your regularly scheduled chaos. Vent over.

Hey Eric,

I know you from buying parts for my GT800 996TT...it's been a long time!

I had the same issue with Bell Canada with an unlimited data plan on my previous 9700.

I spoke to the retentions department and managed to get 6 GB data for $69/month plus the usual unlimited stuff.

Trying calling them again and seeing what they say. Good Luck!

Cheers,

Ben
    11-27-13 01:30 PM
    Buy one off eBay. They are going for around $5.80. Should be able to keep plan doing this way no?

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 01:35 PM
    I think this is a common problem with both Verizon and AT&T, they are trying to ween people off of those unlimited plans. If you want to keep them for now, you have to buy a phone at full price and activate in on your existing plan.

Sprint and T-Mobile can save you a lot of money on the Plans that still have their unlimited data, but it's all about the coverage area... you get what you pay for.
    11-27-13 01:48 PM
    People Verizon does have the edge plan for those who want to upgrade and still keep there current plan. That's exactly what I did.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:47 PM
    Pay $549 then you get to keep unlimited.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 12:32 AM
    Yeah,it sucks but thats been their policy for over a year now. I'm trading upgrades with my son to keep my unlimited. My wife did it last year and was able to keep her unlimited and still get a subsidized phone. Other than that you have to buy outright either from VZW or somewhere else.
    11-28-13 01:08 AM
    People Verizon does have the edge plan for those who want to upgrade and still keep there current plan. That's exactly what I did.

Posted via CB10
    But you do not get to keep your unlimited data plan when you use the "Edge"
    11-28-13 01:56 AM
    Hi, had some of the same results ordering online, all the way to the actual BUY button... I called Verizon directly, the representative was VERY helpful and walked me through the process of purchasing my new (AWESOME) Z30, unlocked, w/NO CONTRACT and was able to just UPGRADE my device. Sure = more up front $$ but = This allows you to keep your current plan, whatever the plan. p.s. YES, I was able to keep my current UNLIMITED DATA plan, AWSOME, EH? GLTY
    Same with me, I bought mine at reg price and the rep was great, and helpful all the way through the call, and made sure I was able to keep my unlimited plan. When you buy at reg price, you can keep your unlimited data. So far I LOVE the phone, its awesome! Well worth the price.
    11-28-13 01:57 AM
    That's exactly what I did and I still have my unlimited plan

Posted via CB10
    11-28-13 10:00 AM
    You are lucky because that is not how it works out here where I am at. Only way you get to keep it is pay full retail for the phone. With the EDGE, keeping your unlimited is not an option. I have been told that by more then one Verizon store too
    11-28-13 10:27 AM
    Well assentially, to keep your unlimited, you just have to obtain the phone any way but upgrade, however that may be. Full retail, ebay, Craigslist, etc... Or if you have a family plan you can trade upgrades with another family member, as we have done. You can also add a dummy line to your plan to get the phone and don't use that line, as some have done on the forums.
    11-28-13 11:23 AM
    I think this is a common problem with both Verizon and AT&T, they are trying to ween people off of those unlimited plans. If you want to keep them for now, you have to buy a phone at full price and activate in on your existing plan.

Sprint and T-Mobile can save you a lot of money on the Plans that still have their unlimited data, but it's all about the coverage area... you get what you pay for.
    AT&T allows you to upgrade and keep your grandfathered data plans. Giving up unlimited data for a subsidized upgrade is a Verizon Wireless thing.
    11-28-13 11:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, we have an older America's Choice II Plan, which you can keep with the EDGE plan but you would still lose your grandfathered unlimited data add-on. However VZW is still offering(at least in the Tampa,FL market) a 6GB data add-on if you use the EDGE payment option.
    11-28-13 11:31 AM
    Well assentially, to keep your unlimited, you just have to obtain the phone any way but upgrade, however that may be. Full retail, ebay, Craigslist, etc... Or if you have a family plan you can trade upgrades with another family member, as we have done. You can also add a dummy line to your plan to get the phone and don't use that line, as some have done on the forums.
    Can you explain about adding a dummy line to your plan and how that would work exactly? Also, I was checking out some Z10's on Craigs list during the week and when I talked to Verizon about purchasing one and having it activated by them, they told me that I would still have to pick a data plan for the phone and said nothing about retaining my unlimited. How is it in some areas and different states, people are told different things by different sales associates about the same issues? Should this not be something that is clear across the board? Seems like too many different Verizon stores all have different takes on things and there are too many exceptions to the rules
    11-28-13 12:06 PM
    AT&T allows you to upgrade and keep your grandfathered data plans. Giving up unlimited data for a subsidized upgrade is a Verizon Wireless thing.
    That's my plan also but it would be nice if we could get the Z30....
    11-28-13 12:09 PM
    Can you explain about adding a dummy line to your plan and how that would work exactly? Also, I was checking out some Z10's on Craigs list during the week and when I talked to Verizon about purchasing one and having it activated by them, they told me that I would still have to pick a data plan for the phone and said nothing about retaining my unlimited. How is it in some areas and different states, people are told different things by different sales associates about the same issues? Should this not be something that is clear across the board? Seems like too many different Verizon stores all have different takes on things and there are too many exceptions to the rules
    As far as the dummy line goes, search the forums as many have done it, but basically you add a line to your plan for the base add-a-line price, new acct, new phone, activate the phone on the new line for a day or whatever, deactivate your old phone, deactivate the new phone, activate the new phone on your original line, activate the old phone on the new line and don't use it. The cost of this is now the monthly added line fee which is around $9 a month. Is it worth it to you is the question. At least you keep your unlimited on the original line.

As to the other issue, don't deal with store reps. The rules and policies apply the same everywhere. Talk to VZW customer support. You can activate ANY Verizon or unlocked phone on your acct without losing your unlimited as long as it's a Verizon phone or unlocked CDMA or dual phone like the 9930. How or where you obtain the phone changes nothing. The only thing that cancels your unlimited is a plan change or subsidized phone upgrade. If a rep says otherwise, insist you speak with their supervisor to straighten it out. I always activate new phones OTA or on another phone with Customer Service.

I switched phones a few months ago over the phone while I was repairing the digitizer of my primary 9930. I had bought the other 9930 months before on ebay as a backup. Activating it was seamless and no change to my unlimited. Same experience two days later when I read-activated my repaired 9930.

Check the forums or Google "Keeping my unlimited plan on Verizon " for more detailed directions for the dummy line process.
    11-28-13 09:46 PM
    You can order from the website via phone. Just tell them month to month price and DONT TOUCH MY PLAN. The website is designed to more or less trick you into giving up unlimited data if you place the order.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-28-13 09:50 PM
    Appreciate all the responses....yes, did chat online, and they could not do it. Told me to call Customer Care. Will try again today.

Online purchase - Amazon deal, for example, that was really sweet at $99 the other day, takes you through the verification via Verizon, and you cannot 'retain existing plan' if you have the unlimited - the only option is to move to the 2gb plan. I don't use that much data to begin with, it's just the idea of giving up something I was told I could keep earlier. Will try customer care today and report back. Not going the 'edge' plan, just want to move to the Z30 for the best deal, and keep existing plan.

Thanks!

Ben - good to hear from you.
    11-29-13 07:06 AM
    Depends on who you talk to. I have a friend who lost his unlimited data plan when he purchased his Z10. His wife upgraded her phone a month or two later and was able to keep her unlimited data. I just purchased my Z30 the day it dropped and didn't feel like dealing with any foolishness, so I just bought it outright. No contract still and keep my unlimited data...
    11-29-13 07:45 AM
    You can order from the website via phone. Just tell them month to month price and DONT TOUCH MY PLAN. The website is designed to more or less trick you into giving up unlimited data if you place the order.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    This would only be when paying full retail correct?
    11-29-13 10:38 AM
    This would only be when paying full retail correct?
    Yes full retail and the month to month price are the same thing.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    11-29-13 10:55 PM
    Yes full retail and the month to month price are the same thing.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    Thank you for the advice southlander! Think I am going to give this a go tomorrow and see if I have any luck with this. Did you do it this way or know anyone else who has successfully been able to do this?
    11-30-13 02:26 AM
28 12